• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of Things I Want in a Religion (Conquering Self-Deceit)

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What religion can either be atheistic or theistic, values compassion, values independence, and connects you to your true nature?

I'm kind of a Pandeist without the Christian dogma.

***If venting annoys you ignore this.***
And if I'm really honest with myself I don't have the will to curb my desires. How can I be a Christian without self control? Needless to say, I can talk a good Christian theology I just can't say that I'm able to master myself. It sucks. I've prayed to Jesus before for him to change my heart, and nothing happened. I don't know, maybe I'm just unlovable. And if I'm not a Christian what am I? I still value compassion and love, I'm just not good enough.

Milton Platt

What religion can either be atheistic or theistic, values compassion, values independence, and connects you to your true nature?

And if I'm really honest with myself I don't have the will to curb my desires. How can I be a Christian without self control? Needless to say, I can talk a good Christian theology I just can't say that I'm able to master myself. It sucks. I've prayed to Jesus before for him to change my heart, and nothing happened. I don't know, maybe I'm just unlovable. And if I'm not a Christian what am I? I still value compassion and love, I'm just not good enough.

Strive for one that does not conflict with what we actually know about the universe.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Maybe it's Christianity or any mainstream religion, for that matter, that is not worthy of you.

lostwanderingsoul

Seems like everyone is looking for what they want or like in a religion. Maybe the goal should be to look for what God wants in a religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Off the top of my head?
  • Number one that comes to mind is Unitarian Universalism.
  • Number two that comes to mind is Buddhism.
  • Number three that comes to mind is the New Age movement.
  • Number four that comes to mind is LHP.

Deidre

Just living your own life, authentically. No gods, no magic, no rules, no dogma. Who could know you better than you? :sunflower:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Try Buddhism. Meditation will help in self control as well.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The main thing I want in a religion is an independent Truth that doesn't rely on God, or Gods to get me to achieve it's infinite eternal attainment.

Ultimately the goal is to be heart deserving equals with the divine.

The Path of Innocence

Where I alone am responsible for who I am.

The Great Knowledge of Truth and Free Will that is divine knowledge and liberates the soul.

The Path of True Justice and Deserve.

The Book of the Knowledge of Everlasting Life.

Until one finds these things, no religion can compare with these lofty goals.

Last edited: