• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no Sin...

PureX

Veteran Member
You can't eliminate language by throwing away your dictionary and you can't eliminate sin by throwing away your gods. You're just not big enough. :)

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can't eliminate language by throwing way your dictionary and you can't eliminate sin by throwing away your gods. You're just not big enough.

Perhaps YOU can't free yourself of those shackles, but like many others, I jettisoned that straitjacket long ago. The word sin is merely people telling other people what they can and cannot do using the devise of a deity to speak through to silence critics, calling them impious or sinner. Once one understands that, he can free himself by shedding religion.

Many theists don't seem to like that, referring to such liberation as trying to be a god oneself, or being openly rebellious, or being morally decadent hedonists. You seem to object, apparently trying to explain that there is no escape from that kind of bondage. But there is. One need only use the senses and reasoning faculty that Mother Nature gifts us and set himself free.

From Pat Condell:

"It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I were religious, I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?"

A fan of Nietzsche then ;)

Exactly :)

Could you elaborate?

I mean people around us should know that we are not soft and we are capable of being cruel against them or else we will be chosen as victims just as in nature weak animals are eliminated.This is passive defense. Also we have to be willing to disregard others in order to gain power. This is proactive defense because by gaining money and power we gain leverage on our future enemies.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Exactly :)

I mean people around us should know that we are not soft and we are capable of being cruel against them or else we will be chosen as victims just as in nature weak animals are eliminated.This is passive defense. Also we have to be willing to disregard others in order to gain power. This is proactive defense because by gaining money and power we gain leverage on our future enemies.

Well, you do what you do. But please stop claiming a "we". I am not a part of your "we".

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps YOU can't free yourself of those shackles, but like many others, I jettisoned that straitjacket long ago. The word sin is merely people telling other people what they can and cannot do using the devise of a deity to speak through to silence critics, calling them impious or sinner. Once one understands that, he can free himself by shedding religion.

Many theists don't seem to like that, referring to such liberation as trying to be a god oneself, or being openly rebellious, or being morally decadent hedonists. You seem to object, apparently trying to explain that there is no escape from that kind of bondage. But there is. One need only use the senses and reasoning faculty that Mother Nature gifts us and set himself free.

From Pat Condell:

"It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I were religious, I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?"
Throwing away wisdom, discernment, and self-awareness doesn't make us free, it just makes us stupid.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Outside of religion.

If sin is breaking or disobeying God's rules. Then it depends on what God you follow as different Gods have different rules for their followers. Whereas one action maybe a sin for the follower of one God. It may not be a sin for one who follows a different God.

One cannot "sin" if the action is not breaking the rules of the God they follow.

So to be sinless, free of sin, one must simply not follow any God.
Mission accomplished.

Not that a fake imaginary aliment/condition was really anything of substance to begin with.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Throwing away wisdom, discernment, and self-awareness doesn't make us free, it just makes us stupid.

Really? Let me falsify your claim right off the bat: Jettisoning religious dogma freed me from it. It's been about forty years now. I think I'm ready to make my judgment on which path led to wisdom, discernment, and self-awareness. That's when I realized that there was no such thing as sin. How's that for discernment? And so I dropped religion. How's that for wisdom. And now I understand that I'm not a sinner. How's that for self-awareness.

Are you sure that you know what constitutes any of those three? You seem to be recommending belief by faith. For me, it's faith-based thought that defeats all three of them and enslaves us in dogma. I've been collecting these memes on a Word doc for a few months, sorting them by subject. Here are a few that might be considered apt here, and gives us an alternative perspective on what is actually stupid:

upload_2022-10-4_13-11-21.png
upload_2022-10-4_13-13-53.png
upload_2022-10-4_13-14-14.png

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Outside of religion.

If sin is breaking or disobeying God's rules. Then it depends on what God you follow as different Gods have different rules for their followers. Whereas one action maybe a sin for the follower of one God. It may not be a sin for one who follows a different God.

One cannot "sin" if the action is not breaking the rules of the God they follow.

untrue. it's a word that simply means fault.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Try I; some people; not all and so on.
Logically speaking, if you gain a thing someone else cannot gain that thing and therefore miss out on it.

Example; If you are hired for a job position, another person that could have used that job will be missing out. If you do not disregard that individual, you will quit the job so that they can hire in.

Circumstances of a finite existence.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
untrue. it's a word that simply means fault.
Agreed.

I think it's a sin to waste food.

I think it's a sin when a parent has to suffer through the torment of burying their own child.

I think it's a sin to make seven figures in profit annually, and not feed and shelter the needy children of the world.

I also think that none of what I have said in this comment was referring to a deity's punishment or religious doctrine. I'm using the word in the same fashion one could use the word 'shame'.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Outside of religion.

Or be in a religion where sin isn't a concept.