• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: What would a godless universe look like?

Little Dragon

How do you atheists manage to remain so oblivious to the harm of sin???? Or is it your own perverse mind that perceives iniquity as righteousness?
If we're talking about having gay sex, as I don't think you're referring to the sin of wearing mixed fibres, nor do I believe that you are concerned about the sin of working on the sabbath or the grievous crime of breeding two different breeds of cattle.

If we're talking about men lying with men, and so on. Then we manage so well, because people like myself and many other personal liberty loving people, do not consider homosexual relationships and all that entails, as sinful.

I've dated other guys. I've had crushes on other guys since I was at school. Nothing sinful or evil about that. Just natural inclination. I like girls too. Probably more, because I get on better with women, basically.
I don't worry about it, although I can imagine if you think sex in general is filthy or dirty, you might.

Little Dragon

No, I think we both know what he means -- he wants to be saved from 1) dying and 2) being judged for who he really is. I suspect that both are terrifying for him, but the second much more so than the first.
I don't know enough to make an assessment beyond what I have already implied. I've met similar guys in particular before, who find my and others, casual attitude toward their own sexuality, problematic. For well, reasons...

DNB

Christian
No, I think we both know what he means -- he wants to be saved from 1) dying and 2) being judged for who he really is. I suspect that both are terrifying for him, but the second much more so than the first.

The idea of non-existence seems to be just about impossible for humans -- "how is it possible that I will not exist, that there might be no me?" As Mark Twain said (I paraphrase) "I was dead for millions of years before I was born, and it didn't inconvenience me a bit." I can look back through my memories and I can indeed come to a place where there was no me. I have no memory of Queen Victoria because I didn't exist then -- but it wasn't painful, didn't bother me, I wasn't bored, in pain, being punished -- nothing at all. Just no me.

Likewise, I've been made to disappear completely while surgeons have cut open my body and removed bits (including from my spine), and again, I didn't suffer at all. Anaesthetics shut my brain down, and when that happened, there simple was no "me" -- "I" was not there! So when my brain turns off for the last time, why would I expect anything other than what I experienced either before I had a brain, or when chemicals turned it off?

@DNB can't bring himself to contemplate these notions.
I'm sorry, nothingness is a very elementary and ubiquitous notion - no one is eternal, therefore all have experienced nothingness.
But, being face to face with God during your conscious existence, and now you are accountable; judgment is inevitable.
Again, your remorse is where the torture lies - all that you had to do was say sorry, and then thank you, but that was beneath you. Your ingratitude and contempt will no go unnoticed nor undealt with.

DNB

Christian
If we're talking about having gay sex, as I don't think you're referring to the sin of wearing mixed fibres, nor do I believe that you are concerned about the sin of working on the sabbath or the grievous crime of breeding two different breeds of cattle.

If we're talking about men lying with men, and so on. Then we manage so well, because people like myself and many other personal liberty loving people, do not consider homosexual relationships and all that entails, as sinful.

I've dated other guys. I've had crushes on other guys since I was at school. Nothing sinful or evil about that. Just natural inclination. I like girls too. Probably more, because I get on better with women, basically.
I don't worry about it, although I can imagine if you think sex in general is filthy or dirty, you might.
I feel that you should be utterly ashamed of your ways - and the real crime is, outside of the act itself, is that you don't.
I cannot for the life of me understand how you remain so seemingly stoic in admitting to, and condoning, and thus promoting, such a decadent and lascivious lifestyle.
Most people would be mortified to commit the same acts that you have.
In my opinion, you appear to be rather hedonistic.

InChrist

Free4ever
I will cope. I don't fancy the idea of a perpetual existence in a kingdom full of self loathing puritans. I'd rather be in hell dancing with the devil. Butt naked. ;)
I think if you truly understood, you wouldn’t joke, nor have any desire to be in hell.
Hell is awful. It is a place with the absence of God, completely void of God’s presence and provision.
There is no breathable air in hell… because God is the breath of life. There is no love there… God is the source of Love. There is only darkness there… God is the Light. There is no comfort there…God is the Comforter. There is no peace… because Jesus is the Prince of peace.

Dark, lonely, miserable.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm sorry, nothingness is a very elementary and ubiquitous notion - no one is eternal, therefore all have experienced nothingness.
But, being face to face with God during your conscious existence, and now you are accountable; judgment is inevitable.
Again, your remorse is where the torture lies - all that you had to do was say sorry, and then thank you, but that was beneath you. Your ingratitude and contempt will no go unnoticed nor undealt with.
You really do make the most asinine pronouncements. HEAR THIS -- I HAVE NOT BEEN FACE TO FACE WITH ANY "GOD." There, are you clear? Can your washed brain absorb that?

I am accountable only to me for what I have done -- or to the law or those I might have harmed if I have done wrong. The law has no hold on me because I have not broken any, and if I have harmed others, I have said "sorry." So you can keep your scurrilous comments about my "ingratitude and contempt" to yourself, thank you very much. If you are what Christianity is all about, I'm very, very glad to have avoided it. I prefer being a good person to a "righteous bigot."

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you atheists manage to remain so oblivious to the harm of sin????
Humanists turn to their consciences to determine right and wrong. I'm not interested in what your religion teaches. Where its values disagree with mine, I'll go with mine.

And it seems to me that most of the people you are disagreeing with here are moral, upright people following their own consciences and deciding for themselves which judgments and acts cause harm, and mostly avoiding harming themselves or others and leading happy, productive lives. They don't want or need your advice. It doesn't seem to be making you happy.
Most of the recounting of history in the Bible is meant to have man appreciate his willful propensity to defiance and contempt for his Maker, of which I am extremely guilty of myself.
And there it is. One value of atheism is freedom from the bondage of religious doctrine like this.
Nothing worse than one who accuses someone of being wicked for denouncing wickedness - the tactics of the devil - how deceitful and corrupt.
Those are YOUR tactics. I find what this religion does to its most zealous adherents perverse, corrupt, and "wicked," and you will use such language against that judgment.
I'm trying to help you, for crying out loud.
You just wrote, "I sin all the time, in the most vile and perverse ways. I feel that I am wretched and that I am in dire need of a saviour." That other poster doesn't want or need your help, nor a savior. You seem to think YOU need help, so how are you going to help anybody else by dragging them into a similar mental state?
you are accountable; judgment is inevitable.
That's for you and others willing to believe what the priests and their book have told them to worry about.

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis
I feel that you should be utterly ashamed of your ways
And this is how you want to help him? Isn't it you that should be ashamed of your ways? Maybe you are.

Once again, shame at being who one is is for the zealous Christian to experience, not him. He is free from the bonds of that religion, which has taught you self-loathing and would do the same to him were he to accept it.

He will judge himself by his own standards, not yours, and will likely continue to learn through trial-and-error how he wants to live and what kind of a person he wants to be. And he has every chance of living a satisfying and constructive life outside of your religion. I have. Your warnings that living in defiance of your god will lead to ruin and that happiness comes from submitting to it fall on deaf ears here. I've already falsified that claim. And so have you.

This is from atheist firebrand Pat Condell:

"It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious, I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?"

Last edited:

Little Dragon

I think if you truly understood, you wouldn’t joke, nor have any desire to be in hell.
Save your fear mongering for the children who would know no better. ;)

(I understand you may be trying in your own way to warn me, I am sure you are well meaning, but I don't like your religion or your God very much, it's going to take more than the threat of damnation. I am still a dragon, little or not, I will always respond to threats, even non malevolent ones, in only one way, negatively)

Last edited:

Little Dragon

Dark, lonely, miserable.
Good, as long as I am with those I care about. They wont be going to heaven either, they like me, have no belief in your God or your narratives. I will go where they go. If there is a place to go, after death.

I do not fear your hell, because I was never indoctrinated with the Christian faith. I am immune to your attempts to instill fear. My parents were not keen on religious interference in our upbringing. You cannot threaten me with hell, or offer me heaven. I will deride both.

Last edited:

Little Dragon

The threat of hell doesn't scare me either. I see it as nothing more than fearmongering, and it is as convincing as if I were to threaten you with the wrath of other gods. And while I can't speak for @Little Dragon, it appears to me, based on his responses, that he feels the same.
Exactly the same. Why not threaten me with the wrath of Sauron? He's a more believable character.

Little Dragon

I feel that you should be utterly ashamed of your ways - and the real crime is, outside of the act itself, is that you don't.
I cannot for the life of me understand how you remain so seemingly stoic in admitting to, and condoning, and thus promoting, such a decadent and lascivious lifestyle.
Most people would be mortified to commit the same acts that you have.
In my opinion, you appear to be rather hedonistic.
Not at all ashamed. In fact, I am quite proud of how popular I can be with the guys. I am after all, rather pretty, for a guy, even if I do say so myself.
Why would anyone be mortified? Unless, they had been taught to hate their own humanity and sexual nature and to perceive sex as shameful and or dirty. Since birth.
I was not. My mother encouraged me to bring my boyfriends home when I was but a teenager. She'd make them very welcome. My dad not so much. He was traditional and conservative, like most Russian men of his generation.
I love a bit of decadence and hedonism, but in moderation of course. As always!
If I didn't enjoy sleeping with men or women, I wouldn't do it. If that makes me a disgusting **** or whatever, in the eyes of others, like you. Good, all the better. I thrive on such things. I don't mind in the slightest, if my choices, upset others. They need to examine WHY that is so. Without vomiting up bible/holy book verse.
You need to chill out my friend. Maybe understand that not everyone is like you.

Last edited:

Little Dragon

"It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious, I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?"
What can I say to add to that?
He can carry on living in the hell of sexual repression and perpetuating the cycle of self loathing and projection, if he wants. If that helps.
I can't see how it does personally.

Me? I am free to do what I want. Pleasure who I want, love who I want. Be with whomever I want. Assuming the feeling is reciprocated.
Why miss out on all those experiences? Just to please some narrative of hate fear and misery?

Not I, not ever.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You need to chill out my friend. Maybe understand that not everyone is like you.
And there's the rub -- @DNB and his ilk cannot bring themselves to understand that humans come with all sorts of differences. That's way too scary for them, and brings with it the possibility that maybe they don't have the only truth, after all.

Last edited: