• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
The people on the phone were the dead people from the group. His wife and Andrea's sister Amy. He's bonkers.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I love how you're in continued denial. :) Did you see the latest episode?

I love how you think "nuh uh" is a compelling argument. I can tell you really put a lot of thought into that. :yes:

Yes I saw the last episode.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I love how you think "nuh uh" is a compelling argument. I can tell you really put a lot of thought into that. :yes:

Yes I saw the last episode.

We've already been through this and I (and others) have presented the evidence. It's not a "nuh uh" argument.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
We've already been through this and I (and others) have presented the evidence. It's not a "nuh uh" argument.

Yes, your arguments are:

1. It happened this way in the books so. . .

2. Rick is losing it so. . .

I've answered both of those.

Your response to my counter-arguments have been, basically, some version of "nuh huh".

Really, I don't think you understand how this game is played.

We're talking about fiction. Nothing is a done deal yet, the writers can take the show in any direction they like, and anyone who's been paying attention knows by now that they have a habit of doing just that. Anything can happen next and that's a major part of the fun.

All the audience can do is speculate, deduce, try to figure out what the clues are that the writers are giving us and make our best guesses as to what they add up to. That's also a major part of the fun.

It's a deduction game. If you don't want to play, ie., if you're already dead certain about what's going to happen next, it's a done deal for you, and there's nothing left to discuss or deduce, okie dokie. :yes:

From here on in I think I'm going to concentrate on the other players and ignore the hecklers.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes, your arguments are:

1. It happened this way in the books so. . .

2. Rick is losing it so. . .

I've answered both of those.

Your response to my counter-arguments have been, basically, some version of "nuh huh".

Really, I don't think you understand how this game is played.

We're talking about fiction. Nothing is a done deal yet, the writers can take the show in any direction they like, and anyone who's been paying attention knows by now that they have a habit of doing just that. Anything can happen next and that's a major part of the fun.

All the audience can do is speculate, deduce, try to figure out what the clues are that the writers are giving us and make our best guesses as to what they add up to. That's also a major part of the fun.

It's a deduction game. If you don't want to play, ie., if you're already dead certain about what's going to happen next, it's a done deal for you, and there's nothing left to discuss or deduce, okie dokie. :yes:

From here on in I think I'm going to concentrate on the other players and ignore the hecklers.

Nope. Those weren't the only arguments, but it's really a waste to continue the conversation. We both enjoy the show. Lets leave it at that.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Umm....don't think that confirms anything.

In contrast, during the most recent episode, Rick tells Herschel it was Laurie (a dead person) on the phone.

Umm......I believe this was already covered and Quagmire never concluded that the phone call was entirely real and without delusion. He [and I] have only noted that there is a good chance that not all the characters in the phone conversation are dead.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Umm......I believe this was already covered and Quagmire never concluded that the phone call was entirely real and without delusion. He [and I] have only noted that there is a good chance that not all the characters in the phone conversation are dead.

On what basis is there a "good chance"?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
On what basis is there a "good chance"?

I made a case on it earlier:

I have no idea what to make of it now. But I can say this much...having gone back, the first call had the girl that said "I've been calling since it all got started"........That can't be anybody that Rick knows, right? They died far later for it to be them. And also, she said with regard to why they are safe...."And part of it is because we are safe". That is an odd thing to say for someone that is dead, don't you think? And not to mention that she has a concept of time by saying she'd call back in 2 hours. We all know that there is no time in the after life...:D.

In the second call, the guy actually says "No one has been bit, no one has died...." I suppose there is many ways to interpret that but it sounds to me like they aren't people who have already died. Normally, dead people don't tell you if they are alive or dead. The guy also said "You could be dangerous"...Another odd thing to say for someone that actually knew him.

The third call if I may correct you here Quagmire....said "It did good, you should talk about it Rick"....There was no contradiction. However, if you listen closely, you can tell that the girl in the first call is a different voice from the girl in the third call. And to complicate matters more, the voice literally changes during the third call. The women started with a southern drawl and it just flipped all of a sudden when it came to calling him out by name. The hullucinations might have started half way through the third call.

The fourth call definately starts off as a hullicination and once again it's followed with static as it was towards the end of the third call.

I think you are right, this isn't the last we hear of them.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Quiddity said:
I have no idea what to make of it now. But I can say this much...having gone back, the first call had the girl that said "I've been calling since it all got started"........That can't be anybody that Rick knows, right?
Of course Rick knows her- the first call was Amy’s voice (Andrea’s little sister who died in the first season- all of the callers actually died in season 1). Andrea shoots her in the head after she’d been bitten).
AmyDeath.jpeg

Quiddity said:
They died far later for it to be them. And also, she said with regard to why they are safe....
Quiddity said:
"And part of it is because we are safe". That is an odd thing to say for someone that is dead, don't you think? And not to mention that she has a concept of time by saying she'd call back in 2 hours. We all know that there is no time in the after life...:D.
No. They’re dead. That’s the whole point of the series- everyone is as good as dead and the only real safety is permanent death. It’s Rick’s auditory hallucination and the fact he understands the concept of time makes it pretty clear that it’s all in his head.

Quiddity said:
In the second call, the guy actually says
Quiddity said:
"No one has been bit, no one has died...." I suppose there is many ways to interpret that but it sounds to me like they aren't people who have already died. Normally, dead people don't tell you if they are alive or dead. The guy also said "You could be dangerous"...Another odd thing to say for someone that actually knew him.
The second call was from Jim, the mechanic they abandon on the side of the road per his request after becoming infected. It’s clear that he’s referring to an afterlife free of pain and fear of death.
Episode-5-Jim-Rick-760.jpg

Quiddity said:
The third call if I may correct you here Quagmire....said
Quiddity said:
"It did good, you should talk about it Rick"....There was no contradiction. However, if you listen closely, you can tell that the girl in the first call is a different voice from the girl in the third call.
Yes, the third caller is a different actress than the first. The third call is from Jacqui (played by Jeryl Prescott Sales). She’s the one who remains behind with Dr. Jenner at the CDC and gets blown up.
vlcsnap-2010-12-08-17h26m13s47.png

Quiddity said:
And to complicate matters more, the voice literally changes during the third call. The women started with a southern drawl and it just flipped all of a sudden when it came to calling him out by name. The hullucinations might have started half way through the third call.
:no:

Quiddity said:
The fourth call definately starts off as a hullicination and once again it's followed with static as it was towards the end of the third call.
Quiddity said:
I think you are right, this isn't the last we hear of them.
It is the last you’ve heard of them since none of the actors save for Sarah Wayne Callies has signed on for any more episodes.

Conjecture is fun but there’s really not much to guess about here since the actors have all mentioned their cameo voice roles in the episode “Hounded” and Sarah Wayne Callies has verified her returning for a few brief scenes in Rick’s hallucinations (the producers originally wanted her to be a zombie but Callies refused to come back if that were the case. So they met her half way and resurrected her as more of a ghostly vision than a decomposing one).

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Yeah, but it was weak conjecture with nothing going for it.
Spoiler tags for what? Information that was apparent immediately when the characters spoke on the phone in an episode that aired over three months ago?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but it was weak conjecture with nothing going for it.

Sorry, didn't realize we were going to get a visit from the Conjecture Quality Control Manager today.

Spoiler tags for what? Information that was apparent immediately when the characters spoke on the phone in an episode that aired over three months ago?

No sweat man. Just a culture clash: there are some people in the world who like to use their imagination, and there are others who just like to use Google.

While the first group may be able to understand the second group, we can't expect the second group to be able to grasp the motives of the first group.

That would take imagination. :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is this show something like the Twilight movies? I mean, of course I assume it's not as good as Twilight, but is it watchable?