• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vegetarian Recipes Thread

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@Estro Felino

I have a query than any Italian lady should be able to answer.

I have heard that pasta is best cooked in sea water. Being 100+km from the sea i am forced to use brita filtered water and a handful of sea salt. Your view on this and what do you think best to cook pasta is?
@Estro Felino

I have heard that pasta is best cooked in sea water. Being 100+km from the sea i am forced to use brita filtered water and a handful of sea salt. Your view on this and what do you think best to cook pasta is?

Omg...I have never heard that.

I have always used tap water:p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For Xmas this cake made without oven. You just need sugared ricotta cheese and panettone

And to think... ive been making my saturnalia cake since early September... only a couple of hours to prepare, plus plenty of oven time. Then feeding it with cognac every week since... iced 10th december to be ready for the grand meal on 23rd. It was lovely though and we still have some left..

ChristineM

Premium Member
I recently made a simple cracked black pepper and cream sauce to go with salmon. I usually make a tarragon sauce but ran out of tarragon and the shops gave the excuse of it being Christmas for being closed.

So the ingredients, double cream, black pepper corns and mustard.

Take a tablespoon or two of black pepper corns, fold in a kitchen towel or kitchen paper. Place on a heavy bread board (not directly on your worktop) Beat the pepper with a wooden mallet until nicely cracked

Pour a cup of cream into a pan, add a tablespoon of mustard, add the cracked pepper, stir whilr warming until not quite boiling.

Very tasty even if i do say so myself.

There was a little left over so i saved it in the fridge to go with lunch the next day. This is one for @SalixIncendium and anyone else that likes a kick in their food. After the pepper has continued to infuse its flavour into the cream for a few hours. Wow...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I recently made a simple cracked black pepper and cream sauce to go with salmon. I usually make a tarragon sauce but ran out of tarragon and the shops gave the excuse of it being Christmas for being closed.

So the ingredients, double cream, black pepper corns and mustard.

Take a tablespoon or two of black pepper corns, fold in a kitchen towel or kitchen paper. Place on a heavy bread board (not directly on your worktop) Beat the pepper with a wooden mallet until nicely cracked

Pour a cup of cream into a pan, add a tablespoon of mustard, add the cracked pepper, stir whilr warming until not quite boiling.

Very tasty even if i do say so myself.

There was a little left over so i saved it in the fridge to go with lunch the next day. This is one for @SalixIncendium and anyone else that likes a kick in their food. After the pepper has continued to infuse its flavour into the cream for a few hours. Wow...

Thank you for sharing.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I recently made a simple cracked black pepper and cream sauce to go with salmon.
And you didn't invite me over because ... :(

When I cook salmon, I usually make a creamy homemade lemon/dill sauce to top it with. If my Sicilian wife cooks it, she prefers using Italian bread crumbs or panko and then frying it in olive oil as she isn't really that fond of fish whereas I am. But my favorite fish is lake trout out of Lake Superior.

ChristineM

Premium Member
And you didn't invite me over because ... :(

When I cook salmon, I usually make a creamy homemade lemon/dill sauce to top it with. If my Sicilian wife cooks it, she prefers using Italian bread crumbs or panko and then frying it in olive oil as she isn't really that fond of fish whereas I am. But my favorite fish is lake trout out of Lake Superior.

Family meal, sorry

Lemon and dill, nice.

I kind of like fugu. Only had it once, imagine tasting delicate fish with the consistency of chicken.

But my all time favourite fish is Braden Rost smoked salmon.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Traditional Tomato Sauce is more than a recipe. It is a sacred rite in Southern Italy, performed in Midsummer.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The Traditional Tomato Sauce is more than a recipe. It is a sacred rite in Southern Italy, performed in Midsummer.

My husband was taught to cook by Italians at his first(and long held)job. He has fond stories... some of which weren't so fun at the time, but he enjoys retelling.

He had made a giant pot of tomato sauce, and his boss came up and tasted it. Calmly, she flung the entire pot on the floor, and said "Its not right, Mr. Sam. Do it over!" He was just a kid at the time(probably 16ish), and was totally shocked. But he did it over...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My husband was taught to cook by Italians at his first(and long held)job. He has fond stories... some of which weren't so fun at the time, but he enjoys retelling.

He had made a giant pot of tomato sauce, and his boss came up and tasted it. Calmly, she flung the entire pot on the floor, and said "Its not right, Mr. Sam. Do it over!" He was just a kid at the time(probably 16ish), and was totally shocked. But he did it over...
Omg...definitely an overreaction...
Tomatoes were imported from the Americas...we owe everything to America.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Omg...definitely an overreaction...
Tomatoes were imported from the Americas...we owe everything to America.

It seems there were a lot of overreactions in that kitchen, but it left a good impression in the long run. He is 33 now, but he still calls that woman and wishes her a happy mother's day every year.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It seems there were a lot of overreactions in that kitchen, but it left a good impression in the long run. He is 33 now, but he still calls that woman and wishes her a happy mother's day every year.

Head chefs can be extremely volatile no matter what style of food they prepare...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's one I made up on the fly, and it turned out pretty tasty...
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • One pack of RTE basmati rice
  • 1/4 stick of butter (I use more, but I love butter)
  • Two eggs
  • Three tbsp vindaloo paste
Melt the butter into a frying pan over medium heat, and toast the almonds and sautee to golden brown. Add rice and vindaloo paste and mix over the same medium heat until hot and all ingredients are mixed. Create two small divots in the mixture and crack the eggs into them. After the eggs begin to turn white at the bottom, mix them into the mixture and cook until eggs are firm. Serve hot.

Makes two meals for me.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Here's one I made up on the fly, and it turned out pretty tasty...
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • One pack of RTE basmati rice
  • 1/4 stick of butter (I use more, but I love butter)
  • Two eggs
  • Three tbsp vindaloo paste
Melt the butter into a frying pan over medium heat, and toast the almonds and sautee to golden brown. Add rice and vindaloo paste and mix over the same medium heat until hot and all ingredients are mixed. Create two small divots in the mixture and crack the eggs into them. After the eggs begin to turn white at the bottom, mix them into the mixture and cook until eggs are firm. Serve hot.

Makes two meals for me.

Very interesting...thanks for sharing. I love basmati rice.
I have never fried with butter...we use olive oil here...I 'll try :p

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Very interesting...thanks for sharing. I love basmati rice.
I have never fried with butter...we use olive oil here...I 'll try :p

Another replacement for butter as a healthier choice might be ghee or clarified butter.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Head chefs can be extremely volatile no matter what style of food they prepare...

You'd never know my husband is a head chef now... some of the crap he comes up with to eat, or the lax way he prepares it at home is simply unacceptable. He's not allowed in my kitchen.

Though after having to cook at work, and cooking being my main hobby, this is a relief to us both.

Another replacement for butter as a healthier choice might be ghee or clarified butter.

My middle son has speech apraxia, and found joy in ghee as a toddler. It took a long time to get anyone to admit that his speech problems weren't simply a delay, but we both knew he struggled physically to move his mouth. He could, however say ghee. Initially, he would say it just as a sound he could make, but one day he kept yelling it, so I handed him the jar of ghee, and showed him the label. "Here it is. Here's your ghee." And he was delighted... he was saying something! He loved ghee for a good while...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Estro Felino

I have heard the water should be salty as the sea. I am not so sure that it needs to be sea water, though sea salt probably does have a slightly different flavor profile. And if you use "refined sea salt" there will be essentially no difference between sea salt and table salt:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271977628098916352

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Or lard:D Seriously I once saw an article with a line about oils that could be used on the order of ". . . or olive oil, grape seed oil, lard or some other healthy fat". I should have bookmarked it.