• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vegetarian Recipes Thread

exchemist

Veteran Member
My partner is currently in the process of making vegan Xmas cakes (six!). I'm not a major fan of said item but having tried an "offcut" it was as nice as one with butter and eggs imo. Nice, considering the lack of chocolate. Or salted caramel. Or Turkish Delight.
Crikey. I'm not sure how much I would like that.

Christmas pudding is far from vegan, containing, as it does, liberal quantities of beef suet!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Crikey. I'm not sure how much I would like that.

Christmas pudding is far from vegan, containing, as it does, liberal quantities of beef suet!
Oh I know, that's why I emphasised cake.
(But it's just as easy to make the puddings vegan or vegetarian, as this is a vegetarian thread :) )

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
S'pose. But the idea of vegan suet - which HAS to be some hideous hydrogenated vegetable fat - does not fill me with confidence.;)

Well...I only got it cos my partner really likes xmas puds. I can take em or leave em.

I'll try pretty much anything once. Nothing ventured and all that. In the last couple of years I've waded through some dreadful vegan stuff and AF beers in the name of research. But having done so I've discovered some great new things to eat and drink.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well...I only got it cos my partner really likes xmas puds. I can take em or leave em.

I'll try pretty much anything once. Nothing ventured and all that. In the last couple of years I've waded through some dreadful vegan stuff and AF beers in the name of research. But having done so I've discovered some great new things to eat and drink.
My limited experience is that vegan stuff is fine if it is not trying to ape non-vegan stuff. Recipes from India and so forth can be excellent. But I've always been disappointed by vegan versions of things that were not intended to be vegan.
Still, I wish you luck: maybe the Christmas pud will be a nice surprise.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'll be happy as long it's covered in sliceably thick custard :D
Terrible idea! What you need is brandy cream (NOT that awful brandy butter people insist on). Whip up cream with a spoonful of sugar to sweeten it and put a tablespoon or two of brandy in as you go. Just the job.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Terrible idea! What you need is brandy cream (NOT that awful brandy butter people insist on). Whip up cream with a spoonful of sugar to sweeten it and put a tablespoon or two of brandy in as you go. Just the job.
Lovely for some, but I never liked cream and I'm off the alcohol too. (I've seen the vegan pud has alcohol in it so it's receding from my view...)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Lovely for some, but I never liked cream and I'm off the alcohol too. (I've seen the vegan pud has alcohol in it so it's receding from my view...)
No it will be fine, I'm sure. The boiling of it will drive off the alcohol and you'll just be left with the flavour of whatever spirit they used. The makers will know you have to be able to give this stuff to children.

But indeed, for you, custard makes more sense than brandy cream.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@Estro Felino

I have a query than any Italian lady should be able to answer.

I have heard that pasta is best cooked in sea water. Being 100+km from the sea i am forced to use brita filtered water and a handful of sea salt. Your view on this and what do you think best to cook pasta is?