• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vegetarian Recipes Thread

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Very interesting...thanks for sharing. I love basmati rice.
I have never fried with butter...we use olive oil here...I 'll try :p

I use colza oil (rape seed oil),
Or lard:D Seriously I once saw an article with a line about oils that could be used on the order of ". . . or olive oil, grape seed oil, lard or some other healthy fat". I should have bookmarked it.

I use colza (rapeseed) oil.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For my niece's 25th birthday I made eggplant parmesan using basically this recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/eggplant-parmesan-recipe-2008982

I substituted a marinara recipe that I picked up from the New York Times and is has been my favorite ever since. It is rather simple. 28 ounces of Italian tomatoes, either crushed ahead of time or crushed when made. Seven cloves of garlic slivered. Fresh basil, leaves and stalks. A quarter cup of EVOO, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley at the end.

I put the olive oil, slivered garlic and red pepper flakes in a cold cast iron skillet, turn the heat to high. Once the garlic is sizzling well (we do NOT want to over cook it) add the tomatoes. The recipe also called for a little water which I use to rinse out the cans and get all of the goodness out. When it boils throw the basil stalks on top and lower the heat to a simmer. The basil will wilt. I also rinse off the basil in cold water to clean just before cooking. I have read that the basil should be dried, but since water has to be added this seems pointless to me. Stir occasionally. After about ten minutes I add some salt and pepper. Fifteen to twenty minutes remove the basil. Stir some more salt to taste. At some point a magical transformation takes place. This is not a long cooking sauce at all. 25 minutes and you have probably over cooked it. My sister in law was like a kid with the bowl from making brownies. She did not let any go to waste.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Traditional Tomato Sauce is more than a recipe. It is a sacred rite in Southern Italy, performed in Midsummer.

My wife & I are very different about this because she likes meat in her sauce but I don't. Sometimes I have a craving for sardi in the sauce but my wife doesn't.

BTW, do you like couscousu? I didn't at first, and now I love it!

Also, I prefer the quicker sauces with very fresh ingredients versus the long simmering sauces, although it's good to have variety.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Do you have a recipe for that?

Yes. I make it with canned chickpeas, fresh carrots, tomato sauce (the one I make with basil and oregano).
You start frying some garlic in a not that high pot with olive oil. Then you add the tomato sauce, salt, and you start pouring up water (1 liter might do). Then the chickpeas, the carrots (sliced), some herbs like parsley.
You make all these ingredients boil, until the vegetable broth is ready. You separate the broth from the cooked vegetables with a strainer. You take the dried couscous and you put it in a tray, spreading it evenly. With a ladle, you start watering the couscous with the broth (still warm). Slowly, so it absorbs it,
Then you add the vegetables...and stir well. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I had a couple of sweet potatoes left over from sunday dinner. What yo do with them... Idea:lightbulb:

Peel, cut into chip/french fry sized strips, brush with oil, sprinkle with paprika and cook in a moderately hot oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Voila gorgeous, lightly spiced oven chips..?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes. I make it with canned chickpeas, fresh carrots, tomato sauce (the one I make with basil and oregano).
You start frying some garlic in a not that high pot with olive oil. Then you add the tomato sauce, salt, and you start pouring up water (1 liter might do). Then the chickpeas, the carrots (sliced), some herbs like parsley.
You make all these ingredients boil, until the vegetable broth is ready. You separate the broth from the cooked vegetables with a strainer. You take the dried couscous and you put it in a tray, spreading it evenly. With a ladle, you start watering the couscous with the broth (still warm). Slowly, so it absorbs it,
Thanks so much for the above, and I'm going to give it a try!

I may also add some zucchini or eggplant as I really like both of them. Matter of fact, I'm cooking some eggplant this morning but I'm using an Indian recipe.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Thanks so much for the above, and I'm going to give it a try!

I may also add some zucchini or eggplant as I really like both of them. Matter of fact, I'm cooking some eggplant this morning but I'm using an Indian recipe.
You are welcome.:heart:
If you like eggplant...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had a couple of sweet potatoes left over from sunday dinner. What yo do with them... Idea:lightbulb:

Peel, cut into chip/french fry sized strips, brush with oil, sprinkle with paprika and cook in a moderately hot oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Voila gorgeous, lightly spiced oven chips..?

We do this with potato, onion, turnip, beets, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, daikon, zucchini, green tomato, bell pepper, tofu strips, squash, pumpkin, ... the spicing can vary, but yeah, it's always delicious.
Spices ... I like roasted garlic bits, basil, light cayenne, salt, simple old black pepper. We often do it the day before I go shopping, cleans out the fridge.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We do this with potato, onion, turnip, beets, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, daikon, zucchini, green tomato, bell pepper, tofu strips, squash, pumpkin, ... the spicing can vary, but yeah, it's always delicious.
Spices ... I like roasted garlic bits, basil, light cayenne, salt, simple old black pepper. We often do it the day before I go shopping, cleans out the fridge.

I do it often with a mixture of seasonal veg, never done it with sweet potato on its own. I usually sprinkle with herbs de Provence though, not paprika

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

This is what we had last night basically, though there was slight variations(no chick peas, a ton of different vegetables, and imitation chicken).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Rasam ... Rasam is a South Indian pepper soup, said to be the 'chicken soup' of India, used for colds, for cold weather etc. It's -20C here today so I made some for lunch, to put over rice. It can be drunk from a cup, but is more often used as a topping.

I cheated by buying rasam powder, which is a mixture of spices. One could mix them on their own. The bought ones vary some. Fry some masoor dal (pink (red) lentils) in oil. Add half a spoon of tamarind, salt to taste, and some chopped tomatoes. Fry for a bit, then add water, and boil for 15 minutes. Add some chopped cilantro, let simmer for another ten minutes, and that's it. Great for a cold day.

There are many variants ... here's one: Tomato Rasam Recipe With Step By Step Photos - Thakkali Rasam, Tomato Charu

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Rasam ... Rasam is a South Indian pepper soup, said to be the 'chicken soup' of India, used for colds, for cold weather etc. It's -20C here today so I made some for lunch, to put over rice. It can be drunk from a cup, but is more often used as a topping.

I cheated by buying rasam powder, which is a mixture of spices. One could mix them on their own. The bought ones vary some. Fry some masoor dal (pink (red) lentils) in oil. Add half a spoon of tamarind, salt to taste, and some chopped tomatoes. Fry for a bit, then add water, and boil for 15 minutes. Add some chopped cilantro, let simmer for another ten minutes, and that's it. Great for a cold day.

There are many variants ... here's one: Tomato Rasam Recipe With Step By Step Photos - Thakkali Rasam, Tomato Charu

I wish I could give that a 'winner' and 'friendly'.... I soooo love rasam. I've made a few different ones, and they've always been delicious.