• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Universe is Indifferent to Us": Fact or Opinion?

Do you think you can prove that the universe is deferential to us?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Don't know/other/no opinion

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Must it be necessary? Is it necessary to understand the universe is not differential to anything?

If it were necessary to posit that the universe was deferential to us in order to explain the universe that would overwhelming evidence that the universe was deferential to us.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is it necessary to understand the universe is not differential to anything?
It is necessary to understand that for your own survival. If you step off the edge of a cliff you will fall. The air will not lift you up, because the atmosphere does not care. The ground on which you fall will not soften itself for your protection because it does not care if you are injured or killed.

The weather will not modify itself for your comfort or benefit. The oceans will not keep you aloft to prevent you from drowning. Fire will burn you just as it will burn your fireplace log, without showing any preference. It is important that we all understand this.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
If it were necessary to posit that the universe was deferential to us in order to explain the universe that would overwhelming evidence that the universe was deferential to us.
But what of indifference? Is it necessary to explain the universe by understanding it's indifference?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To me, things began to make sense and "worked" only after I realized that there is no universe, god, or other cosmic forces giving a crap about us.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
It is necessary to understand that for your own survival. If you step off the edge of a cliff you will fall. The air will not lift you up, because the atmosphere does not care. The ground on which you fall will not soften itself for your protection because it does not care if you are injured or killed.

The weather will not modify itself for your comfort or benefit. The oceans will not keep you aloft to prevent you from drowning. Fire will burn you just as it will burn your fireplace log, without showing any preference. It is important that we all understand this.
Phew! And i was just about to jump into a fire for fun! Thanks for the tip! :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The universe, as a whole, shows no signs of being conscious, so I would say that deference would be an inapplicable attribute in describing the universe. I cannot "prove" much of anything. However, this hardly seems an important benchmark for drawing virtually conclusive, rationally supportable, useful conclusions.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Do you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a fact or an opinion? By "indifferent", I mean that the universe does not care about you, and is neither against you nor for you.

If you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a fact, do you also believe you could prove that it was indifferent to us? If so, how?

If you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a mere opinion, do you also believe you could prove that it is deferential to us (that is, that it somehow sides for or against us)? If so, how?

I'd say there is strong evidence that the universe is accommodating to us specifically, whether or not that could also be described as a deference.. gets into subtle nuances..

A baby enjoys it's mother's attentions, but has no relative experience by which it can describe the mother as loving, generous, kind- that's all it has ever known.

We have the same problem in objectively judging the universe, we know of no other reality than one which provides endless gifts by it's mere 'nature' so intuitively this is all just 'natural' and to be expected.

But many cosmologists, including atheists, have remarked on how curious it is, that the universe so lends itself to our further understanding of it, going so far above and beyond the 'call of duty' of merely supporting our lives, but also exposing us, teaching us, about things far beyond our own comfortable womb.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But many cosmologists, including atheists, have remarked on how curious it is, that the universe so lends itself to our further understanding of it, going so far above and beyond the 'call of duty' of merely supporting our lives, but also exposing us, teaching us, about things far beyond our own comfortable womb.
Atheists....don't trust'm.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a fact or an opinion? By "indifferent", I mean that the universe does not care about you, and is neither against you nor for you.

If you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a fact, do you also believe you could prove that it was indifferent to us? If so, how?

If you consider the notion that the universe is indifferent to us to be a mere opinion, do you also believe you could prove that it is deferential to us (that is, that it somehow sides for or against us)? If so, how?
Opinion, because it requires a biased judgement.

I chose "other," because the fact is that the universe is both indifferent and quite partial towards us, at the same time. The universe is the sum of all things: nouns, verbs, qualities and judgements.

suncowiam

Well, after falling, I would create an impact hole with the exact shape of my body outline. Then stick my head out before getting out and think of another way of beating that road runner.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

That is sort of a funny notion for a religious forum unless God is completely removed from the universe.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"How" can the universe care about us?
Only becausd when you die, the "universe" all the energy just recycles to be resused again inndifferent form. As humans, we tend to make personal things that helps us out.

How does a universe care?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well, after falling, I would create an impact hole with the exact shape of my body outline. Then stick my head out before getting out and think of another way of beating that road runner.
74498730.jpg