• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Truth'

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, but... if I asked you what math, how many pages do you think you could fill before I am satisfied? :D
You don't want me to give you the whole truck load from Matthew to Revelation do you? :eek:
In a nutshell, the truth about his father, and the kingdom... primarily. :)
What father? What kingdom? You mean Christ and God I think. But what is this truth about them you speak of? They're male? If you believe in them you're going to heaven? (I honestly don't know.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So yeah, you have talked to the Baha'is here more than most people on this forum and really done us a great service to assist us to be better participants on this forum and to better understand Hinduism. Some of us will never forget that...for sure.

One would hope so, although every couple of months or so, I seem to get disappointed that a misconception is still there.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The truth is that there is nothing but what God did. We can work with it or against it. To work with it (but we do not know what it is!) is The Truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

nPeace

Veteran Member
Thank you. So do you think the word 'truths' in this case would be a more accurate way of expressing it than simply 'the truth'. Or perhaps even 'the truth according to Christianity' although that seems rather cumbersome.
That's a good question.
When you asked what is that truth Jesus spoke of, I could say in one breath, 'It is the truth about the kingdom which will vindicate God's sovereignty, sanctify his holy name, and restore the the earth to paradise'.
However, that might have sounded like babble, so I just mentioned the primary aspects... but really the truth Jesus spoke of, is one truth, that encompasses a body of truths.
I gave you some of those truths, yes.
Maybe the head, neck, and chest... or some body parts. ;) Yes, truths.

Can you explain what you mean by "according to Christianity"?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Can you explain what you mean by "according to Christianity"?

Clearly, not everyone shares everyone else's idea of truth, or truths, as indicated in this thread. I just think it would be clearer with such additions.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
One would hope so, although every couple of months or so, I seem to get disappointed that a misconception is still there.

I think there’s an inevitable misunderstanding across faiths and cultures. Every now and then the Baha’is and.Hindus step on each other’s toes and take things the wrong way. I feel to animosity towards any Hindus on this forum.

Its good to see you asking some questions about Christianity. There is a lot of story telling through the Bible and particularly the Gospel accounts where Jesus speaks in parables or stories to make his point. Of the four Gospels, none take any longer than three hours to read.

A good starting point is reading the single verse you ask about in thread and then reading the chapter as a whole. It only takes a few minutes. It starts with the famous story about a woman who is guilty of adultery and the people ask Jesus how the matter should be dealt with.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In the church that Boss went to the following words were inscribed on the pulpit.:

"The truth shall set you free."

I never went to church so was privy to other versions of freedom. She informed me that she never did figure out what it meant. So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)

It means what it says, in other words once you know the truth you no longer need to search for it. Human's can't just believe, just have faith without doubt. Belief and Faith can only be strong with the backing of the truth. Once the truth is known all Belief, Faith become easier. Understand it this way knowledge is only valuable if it is true, in the same manner belief and faith are only valuable backed by the truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think there’s an inevitable misunderstanding across faiths and cultures. Every now and then the Baha’is and.Hindus step on each other’s toes and take things the wrong way. I feel to animosity towards any Hindus on this forum.

Its good to see you asking some questions about Christianity. There is a lot of story telling through the Bible and particularly the Gospel accounts where Jesus speaks in parables or stories to make his point. Of the four Gospels, none take any longer than three hours to read.

A good starting point is reading the single verse you ask about in thread and then reading the chapter as a whole. It only takes a few minutes. It starts with the famous story about a woman who is guilty of adultery and the people ask Jesus how the matter should be dealt with.

Where was I asking questions about Christianity? No need for that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It means what it says, in other words once you know the truth you no longer need to search for it. Human's can't just believe, just have faith without doubt. Belief and Faith can only be strong with the backing of the truth. Once the truth is known all Belief, Faith become easier. Understand it this way knowledge is only valuable if it is true, in the same manner belief and faith are only valuable backed by the truth.
I found it had a very contradictory message. I asked someone once, and they told me the truth was that I was going to hell. An eternity in hell certainly doesn't sound like freedom to me, but more like a jail sentence.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

In the church that Boss went to the following words were inscribed on the pulpit.:

"The truth shall set you free."

I never went to church so was privy to other versions of freedom. She informed me that she never did figure out what it meant. So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)
In context of John 8 it's God's words spoken by Jesus... and also works. That's why he is not just a teacher - he is the way.

"He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world." (John 8:26)

"And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him." (John 8:29)

So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” (John 8:31-32)

“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.” (John 10:37-38)