• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Truth'

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I found it had a very contradictory message. I asked someone once, and the told me the truth was that I was going to hell. An eternity in hell certainly doesn't sound like freedom to me, but more like a jail sentence.

There is one absolute Truth all others are subjective, the way the quote is written it is about the absolute truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is one absolute Truth all others are subjective, the way the quote is written it is about the absolute truth.
Sorry, but putting the word 'absolute' in front of it doesn't help define it. On this thread alone we have maybe 8 fairly substantial variations, and I think all of them could be prefaced with 'absolute'.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Clearly, not everyone shares everyone else's idea of truth, or truths, as indicated in this thread. I just think it would be clearer with such additions.
Nobody shares anyone's views, whether Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist ... In order to share the same view, there must be a head, and a body that all the parts work together.
I only know of one that does that. (1 Corinthians 11:3 & 1 Corinthians 12:12-31)
That doesn't identify the Christianity you know of.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sorry, but putting the word 'absolute' in front of it doesn't help define it. On this thread alone we have maybe 8 fairly substantial variations, and I think all of them could be prefaced with 'absolute'.

Absolute is not a definition but a unique identifier. If you want to define it you need to seek.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Absolute is not a definition but a unique identifier. If you want to define it you need to seek.
I have no need to define it personally. I'm just curious how others define it. But I see now that many folks can't do that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have no need to define it personally. I'm just curious how others define it. But I see now that many folks can't do that.

Closest I can think of is by literal definition, one reality. Think of being in a blackened room with five people of different Christian denominations (so five different perspectives). No one knows what the room looks like (or knows "everything" about life-all is a mystery since we can't see). One person says reality (the walls of the room) is the color green. One says red. One says yellow. There is only one reality-one life-one room (no Absolute and no Caps just as is). Denominations try to "design" the room and assume that life and reality is how they themselves define it. Some people who aren't religious are indifferent to life or reality. We live and let live and follow our values and live the best we can until we die (cliffnote version). We accept things as is. While others need to paint a picture of the walls in the darkened room to live best in it.

The Truth is the room that they are in (one life in which we all live-plants, animals, humans, and the existence and movement of energy as the physical universe. As well as one life in which all inanimate things exist). God is seen as the "Mystery" of reality (the questions we can't answer-the purpose/the inner goal/the experience of the present moment/or the hope for a future heaven.

What cannot be named (per hence the word mystery). It just is.

That's what truth means. One life. One reality in which all are apart because everyone and everything is made up of energy; and, that energy pervades everything because it is everything.

The problem is trying to own this truth-this mystery. Each person decides to put adjectives to their perspective of life itself (as above) and they decide that their experiences whether mystical or not are the cornerstone(s) of gratitude, love, and being one with life itself.

I think maybe you're focused more on how people described the colors and assuming that's what they mean by truth. But it isn't an ownership thing. Just one life-one reality-one energy.

Simple word is life and energy. Whether it's physics, something you experience, something that is, or something that people feel runs through them, that's pretty much the same life.

But I would not call it god (or any name). Like they say. Language doesn't quite encapsulate mystery. By definition. Not everyone capitalize mystery but many religions learn how to live life and understand life and interpret life and mystery thereof. (That's truth-understanding of it, living it, or being awed by it)

Clara Tea

Moses had to climb a mountain to get the true words directly from God, only to have everyone ignore God and make a golden calf in the absence of Moses. Perhaps we need to go to some out of the way place, like Indian Valley Hot Springs, southeast of Lake Almanor, California, to hear the words of God? Maybe God will make his violent presence known in that area....his dissatisfaction with mankind? The Mt. Lassen volcano is northeast of it, and the Mt. Shasta volcano is northeast of Mt. Lassen.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

With truth it is the experience that define it. Each of us uniquely experiences things I can never convey those experiences with 100% accuracy; thereby, you need to seek and experience the truth yourself. Most just accept others truths because the seeking is to much work.

Scott C.

Just one guy
"The truth shall set you free."

This comes from the Bible of course: KJV- John 8:31-35

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.

The way I see it, Jesus tells us that if we "continue in my (his) word" we will know the truth. In other words as we follow his teachings and keep his commandments, we become his disciples and are granted an understanding and recognition of the truth of Jesus' word. Knowing the truth about Jesus Christ and following him sets us free from being "servants of sin". The more truth we know about God and his will and the more we follow his will, the more free we become. Following Christ is not enslaving, it's liberating.

PearlSeeker

I'm not sure what you wanted to know. Did you ask for interpretation of "truth" in a specific Bible verse or definition of truth in general?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In the church that Boss went to the following words were inscribed on the pulpit.:

I never went to church so was privy to other versions of freedom. She informed me that she never did figure out what it meant. So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)

In general, the more one knows, the more options one has in dealing with something. In a sense, that's freedom. Of course, it doesn't work if one's 'knowledge' is not true.

I don't think that's the original meaning of the saying, but that's its meaning to me these days.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I

So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)

To me it means that by discovering the truth about religions I will be freed from their demands, prejudices, hypocrisies, and can focus upon my own ideas about life.
:)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To me it means that by discovering the truth about religions I will be freed from their demands, prejudices, hypocrisies, and can focus upon my own ideas about life.
:)
Thank you for the 'to me'.

Perhaps the challenge for me is the authoritative way which some folks speak of such matters. Besides the notion that 'truth' remains largely undefined, there seems to be great confidence in what it means.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for the 'to me'.

Perhaps the challenge for me is the authoritative way which some folks speak of such matters. Besides the notion that 'truth' remains largely undefined, there seems to be great confidence in what it means.

Think of it this way, Vinayaka. In your religion and Practice, you "know" (And I'm assuming you do) that what you practice reflects/is reality. What you know of reality and how you live it. So when you're nysnc with the foundations of your religion (forgive the wording), you're nsync with that reality. Whatever Practices you do is being in touch with/as (so have you) that reality-because that is what you know is true even if you don't express it as an authoritative position like many abrahamics, I would assume private or not, that's how you see reality as a whole.

This reality, or the traditions you believe (accept, know, experience, whatever) are/shapes your reality, is what abrahamics call Truth. Unfortunately, they feel they own reality and definition of it and need to be shared with others, but that is not the case with reality. We all live in one reality and we are born and live and die (generalizing) out of it.

Saying "I know this is truth" or "this is my reality" isn't assuming an abrahamic position. It's just another way of saying this is how I see life.

Understanding the existence of reality/truth is possible in meditation and action-we're aware of our self in the very very simplistic sense of the term. Maybe the focus should be less on what is reality (since you have your own way of seeing it even if that's not your culture to say this particular sentence), but maybe more accept that abrahamics just can't agree on what reality is.

But one thing I found mystic religions tend to agree on is this concept of mystery. Whether one calls it truth or not is irrelevant. That's why people have religion. If we knew everything, then why do we need anything or to do anything to explain it?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the church that Boss went to the following words were inscribed on the pulpit.:

I never went to church so was privy to other versions of freedom. She informed me that she never did figure out what it meant. So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)
How I hear those words, is in the same way knowing the True Self, in contrast to the false self, or illusion.

It is Truth, with a capital T, as opposed to a lowercase t. Truth with a lowercase t is a relative or propositional truth in a dualist world of opposites; this is true and that is false. But Truth with a capital T is Absolute, and non-propositional. It is Light itself, no an idea you believe in. It is in short, Enlightenment.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How I hear those words, is in the same way knowing the True Self, in contrast to the false self, or illusion.

It is Truth, with a capital T, as opposed to a lowercase t. Truth with a lowercase t is a relative or propositional truth in a dualist world of opposites; this is true and that is false. But Truth with a capital T is Absolute, and non-propositional. It is Light itself, no an idea you believe in. It is in short, Enlightenment.

Thanks. One thing I've learned from this exercise is that we could use more words in English. Cross-cultural translations have most likely lead to words like 'Truth' having many differing meanings, which hinders communication. Personally, I try to avoid using it, for that reason alone. Better to use 'enlightenment', in your case. And yes, enlightenment will set you free.

Skywalker

It is one of my favourite passages from the Gospel of John and can have many meanings. Its always helpful to consider the verse in context of the chapter has a whole.

John 8 KJV - Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. - Bible Gateway

For example Jesus considered Himself the way, the truth and the light. So through His Teachings we could attain freedom from the conditions and bondage of this world.

Jesus didn't just come to die on the cross for our sins but to teach us how to live. That is what it means by Jesus is the truth. The life is a reference to Jesus not just dying to give us salvation but to reconcile us to God in this life so we can come before God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Jesus taught that Scripture is ' religious truth ' - John 17:17
Thus, it is Scripture that can set us free from what is ' religiously false '.
When Pilate said, " What is truth?" Pilate was speaking about what is truth in general. Pilate was Not asking about biblical truth but relative truth.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Set free to means end of ego, when the "I" have fully been let go of.