• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Truth'

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So the truth is that Jesus will free you from sin?

Pretty much. They feel you're missing out on god. You're sinning just because and without god, that's your focus whether you do sin or tempted to do so.

When I was in the Church, it felt like I sinned more in the Church than out of it. In my opinion, it puts a yoyo affect that you commit sin, you repent, and then you feel you're "washed from his blood" and obligated to follow-then realize you're not perfect, and fall into a self-fulfilling process, you sin again.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the church that Boss went to the following words were inscribed on the pulpit.:

"The truth shall set you free."

I never went to church so was privy to other versions of freedom. She informed me that she never did figure out what it meant. So ... what does it mean to you? (This is not a debate thread.)
I think that the truth is that every living thing should want to live.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pretty much. They feel you're missing out on god. You're sinning just because and without god, that's your focus whether you do sin or tempted to do so.

When I was in the Church, it felt like I sinned more in the Church than out of it. In my opinion, it puts a yoyo affect that you commit sin, you repent, and then you feel you're "washed from his blood" and obligated to follow-then realize you're not perfect, and fall into a self-fulfilling process, you sin again.
But you do see how, that if that phrasing is used, and the listener doesn't know what they mean, it could cause confusion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You’re learning very fast now. Next thing you’ll be wondering why you started this thread when you could’ve turned to Wikipedia in the first place!
Yes, wiki pretty much proved my point, which is, in case you didn't get it, that the word 'truth' used without some context, or meaning, is basically useless, as both the wiki article, and this thread has proved.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But you do see how, that if that phrasing is used, and the listener doesn't know what they mean, it could cause confusion.

Most definitely. Sometimes I ask questions when I'm confused and they think I want to be christian because I'm asking. So, sometimes it's just a shrug and foregone conclusion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Most definitely. Sometimes I ask questions when I'm confused and they think I want to be christian because I'm asking. So, sometimes it's just a shrug and foregone conclusion.
I think it's common to falsely assume knowledge about the reader or listener. Take the word 'snow' for example. Works for many people, but not in the tropics. Many folks are embarrassed to ask for clarification, or they themselves assume something different. It makes for poor communication.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, wiki pretty much proved my point, which is, in case you didn't get it, that the word 'truth' used without some context, or meaning, is basically useless, as both the wiki article, and this thread has proved.
The importance of the word ‘truth’ and what it means for any individual or community can not be understated. It’s what distinguishes integrity from corruption, and the foundation of trustworthiness in relationships that allows for harmonious family life and harmony within organisations. It has quite a specific meaning within the Christian scriptures where Christ identifies Himself with the essence of that truth later in the Gospel of John (John 14:6).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The importance of the word ‘truth’ and what it means for any individual or community can not be understated. It’s what distinguishes integrity from corruption, and the foundation of trustworthiness in relationships that allows for harmonious family life and harmony within organisations. It has quite a specific meaning within the Christian scriptures where Christ identifies Himself with the essence of that truth later in the Gospel of John (John 14:6).
As is the importance of explaining it. We are not all Christians. As you might recall, it took me awhile to convince some Baha'i folks to not use Baha'ispeak, but now they don't, and everyone is more likely to understand.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It means something different to me than it means to Christians, because I believe there is more than one truth, not only the truth revealed by Jesus in the NT, and I believe that truth is everywhere, inside and outside of religion.
But what are these truths you believe in?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As is the importance of explaining it. We are not all Christians. As you might recall, it took me awhile to convince some Baha'i folks to not use Baha'ispeak, but now they don't, and everyone is more likely to understand.

I think there are Christians on this forum who do a great job of explaining and presenting their faith. They are usually the ones who communicate well with peoples of all faiths and worldviews as they are respectful and considerate. There's been quite a few Christians who are a work in progress and still others who this forum is not a good fit. Same deal for Baha'is and those of any faith really.

So yeah, you have talked to the Baha'is here more than most people on this forum and really done us a great service to assist us to be better participants on this forum and to better understand Hinduism. Some of us will never forget that...for sure.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But what are these truths you believe in?
I believe that God's Truth is revealed through the Messengers of God, but there are other truths in the world, because what is true is reality, and people can discover reality in places other than religion.

Reality:

1. the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
2. the state or quality of having existence or substance.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=reality+means

nPeace

Veteran Member
But it doesn't say just what that truth is. I can say I taught math. What do you think that truth he taught actually is.
Yes, but... if I asked you what math, how many pages do you think you could fill before I am satisfied? :D
You don't want me to give you the whole truck load from Matthew to Revelation do you? :eek:
In a nutshell, the truth about his father, and the kingdom... primarily. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe that God's Truth is revealed through the Messengers of God, but there are other truths in the world, because what is true is reality, and people can discover reality in places other than religion.

Reality:

1. the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
2. the state or quality of having existence or substance.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=reality+means
But what is that truth that is revealed?