• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trump voter's need for chaos

Phaedrus

Over the four years during which he has dominated American political life, nearly three of them as president, Donald Trump has set a match again and again to chaos-inducing issues like racial hostility, authoritarianism and white identity politics.

Last week, at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, the winner of the best paper award in the Political Psychology division was “A ‘Need for Chaos’ and the Sharing of Hostile Political Rumors in Advanced Democracies.”

The paper, which the award panel commended for its “ambitious scope, rigor, and creativity,” is the work of Michael Bang Petersenand Mathias Osmundsen, both political scientists at Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux, a political scientist at Temple.

It argues that a segment of the American electorate that was once peripheral is drawn to “chaos incitement” and that this segment has gained decisive influence through the rise of social media.

On a less cataclysmic level, the authors’ analysis helps explain the intensity of anti-establishment voting that drove Trump’s successful takeover of the Republican Party in the 2016 primaries.

The authors describe “chaos incitement” as a “strategy of last resort by marginalized status-seekers,” willing to adopt disruptive tactics. Trump, in turn, has consistently sought to strengthen the perception that America is in chaos, a perception that has enhanced his support while seeming to reinforce his claim that his predecessors, especially President Barack Obama, were failures.

Petersen, Osmundsen and Arceneaux find that those who meet their definition of having a “need for chaos” express that need by willingly spreading disinformation. Their goal is not to advance their own ideology but to undermine political elites, left and right, and to “mobilize others against politicians in general.” These disrupters do not “share rumors because they believe them to be true. For the core group, hostile political rumors are simply a tool to create havoc.”

The phrase “like to see the democratic system go down” is chilling — and raises the question: How worried should we be about a fundamental threat to democracy from the apparently large numbers of Americans who embrace chaos as a way of expressing their discontent? Might Trump and his loyal supporters seek to bring down the system if he is defeated in 2020? What about later, if the damage he has inflicted on our customs and norms festers, eroding the invisible structures that underpin everything that actually makes America great?

A political leader who thrives on chaos, relishes disorder and governs on the principle of narcissistic self-interest is virtually certain to find defeat intolerable. If voters deny Trump a second term, how many of his most ardent supporters, especially those with a “need for chaos,” will find defeat unbearable?

Opinion | The Trump Voters Whose ‘Need for Chaos’ Obliterates Everything Else

It perfectly explains the behavior of so many forum conservatives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As it happens, there is now an overwhelming weight of scienttific evidence that the core Trump supporter is typically a racist and motivated by his or her racim to support Trump. That was not something I myself expected. I thought they were mostly people who had been economically disadvantaged by the policies of the elites on both sides of the aisle over the past 40 years. But I was wrong. It's racism, not economics, that drives the majority of Trump's core supporters. Pretty ugly people, really. "Deplorables", as Clinton quite accurately called them.

In reference to the OP, yeah, I can see why racists would want to sow chaos and undermine American democracy.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
As it happens, there is now an overwhelming weight of scienttific evidence that the core Trump supporter is typically a racist and motivated by his or her racim to support Trump. That was not something I myself expected. I thought they were mostly people who had been economically disadvantaged by the policies of the elites on both sides of the aisle over the past 40 years. But I was wrong. It's racism, not economics, that drives the majority of Trump's core supporters. Pretty ugly people, really. "Deplorables", as Clinton quite accurately called them.

Regarding the Clinton statement, I was thinking the same. The thing is though, few believed her at the time. Maybe she actually knew a lot of what she was talking about, but was looking a bit too forward for people to fathom what she meant whenever she spoke.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Regarding the Clinton statement, I was thinking the same. The thing is though, few believed her at the time. Maybe she actually knew a lot of what she was talking about, but was looking a bit too forward for people to fathom what she meant whenever she spoke.

I think you're right. I didn't believe her at the time -- nor did most people -- but it looks like she was correct.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
As a Democrat I had been thinking about voting for Trump, not because I think he's what the country needs, but because policy change every 4 years can be really tough on the country, and because I'm not sure Biden has what it takes if it comes down to him.

But I think I really know the best thing to do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

In reference to the OP, yeah, I can see why racists would want to sow chaos and undermine American democracy.

Good grief...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Opinion | The Trump Voters Whose ‘Need for Chaos’ Obliterates Everything Else

It perfectly explains the behavior of so many forum conservatives.
Except the "forum conservatives" here at RF are not conservatives. If they were, they'd have been totally opposed to Trump's tax cuts that have sharply driven up the deficit, plus they'd be more for state's rights, not Trump's "rights". And they'd also be appalled by Trump's regular ignoring and also bashing the "rule of law" and also his strong support for former KGB agent Vladimir Putin who very much tried to tamper with our elections and is trying to do it again.

No, they're not "conservatives"-- they're Trumpettes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Except the "forum conservatives" here at RF are not conservatives. If they were, they'd have been totally opposed to Trump's tax cuts that have sharply driven up the deficit, plus they'd be more for state's rights, not Trump's "rights". And they'd also be appalled by Trump's regular ignoring and also bashing the "rule of law" and also his strong support for former KGB agent Vladimir Putin who very much tried to tamper with our elections and is trying to do it again.

No, they're not "conservatives"-- they're Trumpettes.

It's been decades in America since most so called "conservatives" deserved the label of "conservative". Today's "conservatives" are reactionaries. They don't want to conserve the best American traditions and values -- they want to replace those traditions and values with their brand of nonsense. They are conservative in name only.

Audie

Veteran Member

I hope this is not so.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Is it okay if I ask if there are any policies of Bernie Sanders, who I consider a good potential candidate so far, that people don't like?

I'm just worried we have to be careful of which Dem to vote in also, as if they win, they'll have a river ahead of them.

Phaedrus

I'm just worried we have to be careful of which Dem to vote in also, as if they win, they'll have a river ahead of them.

I have never seen a Democratic candidate behave as Trump does. Therefore, vote blue no matter who.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have never seen a Democratic candidate behave as Trump does. Therefore, vote blue no matter who.

Don't worry, I will. It's the liberal way to think things over from a lens of what's good for society and minority groups and try to vote what they, the voter, overall perceive best for the country, I think.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Don't worry, I will. It's the liberal way to think things over from a lens of what's good for society and minority groups and try to vote what they, the voter, overall perceive best for the country, I think.

Depends on the "liberal" doesn't it? Some of them pretty much represent the top 10% wealthiest people in the country (as compared to the Republicans, who represent the top 1% wealthiest), and some of them, like Sanders, have the whole country in mind -- even the long term interests of the wealthiest people. But any liberal these days is better than Trump.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Depends on the "liberal" doesn't it? Some of them pretty much represent the top 10% wealthiest people in the country (as compared to the Republicans, who represent the top 1% wealthiest), and some of them, like Sanders, have the whole country in mind -- even the long term interests of the wealthiest people. But any liberal these days is better than Trump.

Why I'm giving the subject so much thought is because if I voted Dem, and I am, I'm actually going to vote for the Dem most likely to win. So if Biden becomes the person against Trump, I'll vote Biden.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Caution:
This is the "Liberal Only" forum.
If one doesn't identify as such, one should refrain from posting here.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Caution:
This is the "Liberal Only" forum.
If one doesn't identify as such, one should refrain from posting here.

Thanks for the heads up. I identify as liberal, it's just a little hard to get someone new into the Presidency when the country is at its worst time (though I think it best).

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Me too. I'm profoundly troubled by the still growing evidence that the majority of core Trump supporters are primarily motivated by racism.

The very few people I have asked why they voted for
Trump said that they did so with no enthusiasm, but
saw Hillary as even worse.

AFAIC, they are both worse than the other.

Where is t his evidence- pile, btw?