• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The significance of 1844 in Bible Prophecy

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The Important thing to consider here is that it is Biblical Scholars that did all this Interpretation of Scripture and give all the explanations of 'Day for a Year', meanings of Time = a year etc!

It was Willaim Miller that brought up the date of 1844 first and this is in history now easy to research on the net.

It is well supported in the Bible.

It is now used by the Baha'i as it did predict the year accuratly.

Sorry short of time will post you some links to Christain Scholars on that subject.

Regards Tony
Can you explain why thy assume that 1 day = 1 year. Sorry, it just seems like an arbitrary, unreasonable jump executed to simply make a timeline fit.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you explain why thy assume that 1 day = 1 year. Sorry, it just seems like an arbitrary, unreasonable jump executed to simply make a timeline fit.

It has been said the following are among the adherents of the historicist view:

"John Wycliffe, John Knox, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli, Phillip Melanchthon, Sir Isaac Newton, Jan Huss, John Foxe, John Wesley, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, Charles Finney, C. H. Spurgeon, Matthew Henry, Adam Clarke, Albert Barnes, E. B. Elliot, H. Grattan Guinness, and Bishop Thomas Newton." (S. Gregg, "Revelation: Four Views," Nashville: Thomas Nelson Pub, 1997, p. 34.) And of course Willian Miller.

Bible Numbers: A day can equal a year:

The following are examples of a day representing a year in the bible

1) "A day for each year" in the account of the ten spies returning with a bad report to Moses about the Promised Land after spying it out for 40 days:

"And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcasses be wasted in the wilderness. After the number of the days in which you searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years..." (Numbers 14:33,34a)

2) Ezekiel is told to lie on his side 390 plus 40 days --- "a day for each year"

"Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity. For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year" (Ezekiel 4:4-6).

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but this stuff is like gibberish to me. I don't understand what the graphic is even saying at all. Can you dumb it down a bit for me?

Biblical scholars found in Daniel that Christ's Message can be calculated, to shorten the story it goes like this. A starting point was given and this was a rebuild of the sanctuary talked about in Daniel. Scholars vary on this but many decided that it was the BC457 Restoration that was most viable for this Prophecy. Using this start point and other given time lines you can prove the timing of Christs 1st Message.

Then Daniel gives the timeline for the End of Times and says it will be 2300 days (Years). So having proved Christs first appearance, we can use the same starting point to consider His 2nd coming.

The Sum becomes 2300-457+1 which equals 1844. We must then add a year as there is no year Zero.

Thus the year was calculated, but as the Bible said, the Day and Hour was still not known. The expectation was great and many preached the return of Christ in this year. People sold their possessions and went up on to Hills awaiting to be swooped up into heaven with Christ, it became the great disappointment for many.

But just as Christ came the first time, He was Born of Man with the Spirit of God and Lived amongst us before giving the Message. Once the Bab and then Baha'u'llah gave the Message, many more Prophecies unfolded.

Regards Tony

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm sorry, but this stuff is like gibberish to me. I don't understand what the graphic is even saying at all. Can you dumb it down a bit for me?
As RFs resident half-wit, I might be the perfect member to help here.

All this stuff is a combination of religious fortune telling coupled with numerology sprinkled with bits of astrology.

The fact that Bahai dismisses fortune telling, astrology, tarot cards, mediums, palmistry blah blah is simply the other coat it wears, as suits for the weather conditions.

My granny used to read tea-leaves in the bottom of cups, back in the day before the wonders of science produced the tea-bag, thus battering this ancient spiritual art down the drain. :)

Mind you, my granny did come up with some junk, not unlike this 1844 stuff. :p

JJ50

That silly book of Revelation nearly didn't make it into the Bible. It would have been so much better if it hadn't. It is open to so many interpretations, some crazier than others. The number of times people have predicted the so called 'end times', and Jesus putting in a second appearance. Something I think highly unlikely to happen. Once that guy died I reckon he stayed dead.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That silly book of Revelation nearly didn't make it into the Bible. It would have been so much better if it hadn't. It is open to so many interpretations, some crazier than others. The number of times people have predicted the so called 'end times', and Jesus putting in a second appearance. Something I think highly unlikely to happen. Once that guy died I reckon he stayed dead.

Except Revelation unfolded and the 3 Revelations contained within it, happened as predicted.

Christs New Name is Baha'u'llah, (Glory of God).

Regards Tony

leibowde84

Veteran Member
"John Wycliffe, John Knox, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli, Phillip Melanchthon, Sir Isaac Newton, Jan Huss, John Foxe, John Wesley, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, Charles Finney, C. H. Spurgeon, Matthew Henry, Adam Clarke, Albert Barnes, E. B. Elliot, H. Grattan Guinness, and Bishop Thomas Newton." (S. Gregg, "Revelation: Four Views," Nashville: Thomas Nelson Pub, 1997, p. 34.) And of course Willian Miller.
That's fine. It doesn't make it any more likely true just because these people believed it though. That likelihood must be based entirely on evidence.

1) "A day for each year" in the account of the ten spies returning with a bad report to Moses about the Promised Land after spying it out for 40 days:

"And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcasses be wasted in the wilderness. After the number of the days in which you searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years..." (Numbers 14:33,34a)
But, this doesn't mean that a day is equal to a year in regards to time. It says that a day can seem like a year in regards to human perception. Again, this leads me to believe that people desperate to find something in the bible that isn't really there are jumping to incorrect conclusions.

2) Ezekiel is told to lie on his side 390 plus 40 days --- "a day for each year"

"Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity. For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year" (Ezekiel 4:4-6).
This doesn't say "a day for each year". It says "I have appointed thee each day for a year". "Each day for a year" = every day for one year = 365 days in a row.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Biblical scholars found in Daniel that Christ's Message can be calculated, to shorten the story it goes like this. A starting point was given and this was a rebuild of the sanctuary talked about in Daniel. Scholars vary on this but many decided that it was the BC457 Restoration that was most viable for this Prophecy. Using this start point and other given time lines you can prove the timing of Christs 1st Message.

Then Daniel gives the timeline for the End of Times and says it will be 2300 days (Years). So having proved Christs first appearance, we can use the same starting point to consider His 2nd coming.

The Sum becomes 2300-457+1 which equals 1844. We must then add a year as there is no year Zero.

Thus the year was calculated, but as the Bible said, the Day and Hour was still not known. The expectation was great and many preached the return of Christ in this year. People sold their possessions and went up on to Hills awaiting to be swooped up into heaven with Christ, it became the great disappointment for many.

But just as Christ came the first time, He was Born of Man with the Spirit of God and Lived amongst us before giving the Message. Once the Bab and then Baha'u'llah gave the Message, many more Prophecies unfolded.

Regards Tony
I still haven't seen any evidence suggesting that a day = a year. Until I can see something that suggests that, I can't really suggest the remainder of this hypothesis.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I still haven't seen any evidence suggesting that a day = a year. Until I can see something that suggests that, I can't really suggest the remainder of this hypothesis.

As this was the work of many Biblical Scholars, I too would have to look on line as to where the source was. It appears it goes back to AD300 at this link - 1844madesimple - Year-Day Principle

This was the Summary of that link;

:....As the preceding evidence shows, the year-day principle is firmly rooted in Scripture. From the linguistic links between "years" and "days" found in the OT Testament prose and poetry, to clear expressions of it some Old Testament prophecies, the year-day principle can be easily established as a biblical datum.

Meanwhile, from within the prophecies in question themselves, internal evidence points unmistakably to need of the year-day principle.

In short, not only do we have firm proof for the validity of the year-day principle, we showed too why it must be applied to the prophecies in question. Indeed, without the year-day principle, many of those prophecies don't make sense simply because literal time doesn't come anywhere near covering the scope of events depicted in them. In contrast, once the year-day principle is applied, that problem disappears.

This material was condensed and adapted from Selected Studies on Prophetic Interpretation, by William H. Shea. "Year-Day Principle"; Daniel and Revelation Committee Series, Vol. 1. General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. 1982."

Another site quoting history of the Day for Year - https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1968/08/day-for-a-year-principle

So that is the evidence, we could dismiss it, but when used it Links the Message of Christ, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah. What would be the mathematical probability of that happening? After all not many World Messages have been given.

Abdul'baha has said there is no Greater proofs, than these Time Prophecies.

Regards Tony

leibowde84

Veteran Member
As this was the work of many Biblical Scholars, I too would have to look on line as to where the source was. It appears it goes back to AD300 at this link - 1844madesimple - Year-Day Principle

This was the Summary of that link;

:....As the preceding evidence shows, the year-day principle is firmly rooted in Scripture. From the linguistic links between "years" and "days" found in the OT Testament prose and poetry, to clear expressions of it some Old Testament prophecies, the year-day principle can be easily established as a biblical datum.

Meanwhile, from within the prophecies in question themselves, internal evidence points unmistakably to need of the year-day principle.

In short, not only do we have firm proof for the validity of the year-day principle, we showed too why it must be applied to the prophecies in question. Indeed, without the year-day principle, many of those prophecies don't make sense simply because literal time doesn't come anywhere near covering the scope of events depicted in them. In contrast, once the year-day principle is applied, that problem disappears.

This material was condensed and adapted from Selected Studies on Prophetic Interpretation, by William H. Shea. "Year-Day Principle"; Daniel and Revelation Committee Series, Vol. 1. General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. 1982."

Another site quoting history of the Day for Year - https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1968/08/day-for-aIt -year-principle

So that is the evidence, we could dismiss it, but when used it Links the Message of Christ, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah. What would be the mathematical probability of that happening? After all not many World Messages have been given.

Abdul'baha has said there is no Greater proofs, than these Time Prophecies.

Regards Tony
This is a long, long reach, and is extremely far fetched. I still see know reason to believe it other than the prophecies not making sense unless you do it (which is a horrible reason to change the meaning of a word). But, to each their own. It's just not convincing, as there isn't really any evidence supporting this year-day rule. People who use it merely claim that it is supported by scripture. But, they don't explain why.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a long, long reach, and is extremely far fetched. I still see know reason to believe it other than the prophecies not making sense unless you do it (which is a horrible reason to change the meaning of a word). But, to each their own. It's just not convincing, as there isn't really any evidence supporting this year-day rule. People who use it merely claim that it is supported by scripture. But, they don't explain why.

Yes you must make your own choice on this matter.

It might be the Word changed because it was fulfilled in the manner it was. If the Bab and Baha'u'llah did not give a Message as they did, the Word can still be read as it is. To me the Bible supports fulfillment being the key of understanding.

You are free to read all that Baha'u'llah wrote on this subject and if you decide to, the Kitab-i-iqan is a good place to start.

The Kitáb-i-Íqán | Bahá’í Reference Library

Stay well stay happy and may all be good for you family and friends. Regards Tony

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That's my error. I meant the Islamic Caliphate, initiated by Umayyads. The Umayyads exemplified the character of the Caliphate though.

As explained above. Although overthrown by the Abbasids in the most brutal manner possible, the Umayyad dynasty did continue in the Iberian Pennisula for much many more centuries.

Some use 666 AD, others 666 to mean 661 AD plus 5 years considering the birth of Christ. I'm comfortable with either.

I've explained in my post to you yesterday about how the beast and dragon can have a general meaning (The Islamic caliphate) and a more specific one such as the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties.

I click (right side of mouse) and drag over the segment I want to quote. Took me a while to learn it too.
Right click? No, I'm using an IPad mini right now. But thanks anyway... I'll get the desktop back soon. It's got a virus or something and I don't trust the online techs anymore.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Right click? No, I'm using an IPad mini right now. But thanks anyway... I'll get the desktop back soon. It's got a virus or something and I don't trust the online techs anymore.

Left click actually. Must have been thinking right hand and ....Oh well.

How's the study of revelation going?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Left click actually. Must have been thinking right hand and ....Oh well.

How's the study of revelation going?
I've got notes going all the way to the end of Revelation. But I was hoping you'd post something first. You haven't been waiting for me have you? But, if I do, it will be on the other thread.