• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Hand Path & Left Hand Path

You know, even after all the reading, both here and elsewhere, and the musing and so on I've done, I still don't really know what LHP is or what it is/means to be LHP....:sarcastic

To quote;-
LHP-RHP?
One simple idea to think over DoctorStrangeis that everything has an opposite? For the righteous, there is the wicked, for the lucky, there are the unlucky and for those that live there are those that die. The Ancient Hebrews gave LHP name as Yamin, the Ancinet Romans gave the word Sinister. Inevitably, these words grew into more divergent connatation that the RHP and that of the LHP.
I myself celebrate all that resides in the Shadows of the so called LHP, regardless of religious allegiance or format.

Just opposites really just a thought!

DNC:bat:

blackout

Violet.
I think our fabulous kitty hit it here,
for me anyway...

I have been muddling over a better way to define that difference and I was wondering if this is a more accurate way of describing it...

People swaying to the left tend to focus their spiritual growth from the inside-out, focusing on their own inner strengths and building them outward. People swaying to the right build their spiritual growth from the outside-in, focusing on the strength of whatever outside source to build the inner.

From the inside out.

That is the difference, of all difference.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Light, in the religious sense, is usually a metaphor for hope and clarity of purpose.

What would darkness represent then?

Hey Luis.;)

Darkness for me is deepest rest,
the most profound relaxed peace,
and The Primal Void of all Creation...
from which All things arise...
and are let go...
found (also) deep inside my own Self.
(Pshyce, Soul, ...Divinity)

All that I dream, in-vision, I-mage-in,
mold, cast and create...
Rises and takes form
from the inner space, the black cosmos,
the lake of void, the 'rest' of nothing
deep deep within mySelf.

Every-thing I conceptualize arises...
Takes form...
Comes into BEing... from there.

The darkness of Void is also where I 'lay things to rest'.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I myself celebrate all that resides in the Shadows of the so called LHP, regardless of religious allegiance or format.

Just opposites really just a thought!

DNC:bat:

In other words....
Those who appreciate and enjoy the interplay of light and dark??

Please share more thoughts.... about the Shadows....

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hey Luis.;)

Darkness for me is deepest rest,
the most profound relaxed peace,
and The Primal Void of all Creation...
from which All things arise...
and are let go...
found (also) deep inside my own Self.
(Pshyce, Soul, ...Divinity)

All that I dream, in-vision, I-mage-in,
mold, cast and create...
Rises and takes form
from the inner space, the black cosmos,
the lake of void, the 'rest' of nothing
deep deep within mySelf.

Every-thing I conceptualize arises...
Takes form...
Comes into BEing... from there.

The darkness of Void is also where I 'lay things to rest'.

This is probably a silly question, but... why call it darkness then? And why/how is that any different from what you call RHP?

blackout

Violet.
This is probably a silly question, but... why call it darkness then? And why/how is that any different from what you call RHP?

I'm standing by Tigeress' fabulously stated in-sight.

RHP out-sources
LHP in-sources

Have you ever heard of a sorcerer of the RHP?
To the RHP sorcery is generally considered evil. no?

blackout

Violet.
That is very interesting, and does make a lot of sense. Thanks, UV.:p

Oh you can thank me all you want honey! :flirt:

But really you should go
pet the kitty...ummm Tigeress...
verrrryyyy carefully....
mmMeeee-ow!

Truly, it does make so much sense. Doesn't it?!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm standing by Tigeress' fabulously stated in-sight.

RHP out-sources
LHP in-sources

Have you ever heard of a sorcerer of the RHP?
To the RHP sorcery is generally considered evil. no?

I don´t feel qualified to answer.

My gut feeling is that so-called RHP is actually religious practice that hasn´t been very well cared and lost its way to the point of being oppressive to people´s creativity and individuality. That is not valid, healthy practice in my book.

In fact, it is my understanding that religion is supposed to bridge the gulf of confusion and anxiety between inner and outer realities. To neglect either is to be mispracticing, AFAIK.

I guess you could say that I don´t support either LHP or RHP practice as such, because I find both incomplete and probably unhealthy except perhaps under extreme circunstances. Or, equivalently, that I believe that both must be practiced concurrently in order to be healthy and whole.

Sorcery... I don´t know how it figures into the subject matter. It is something else that I don´t quite understand, and it seems to me that it doesn´t really have much of a clear meaning anyway. Are you implying that it is a defining attribute of the LHP, perhaps as an exercise of self-expression in subtle ways?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I don´t feel qualified to answer.

My gut feeling is that so-called RHP is actually religious practice that hasn´t been very well cared and lost its way to the point of being oppressive to people´s creativity and individuality. That is not valid, healthy practice in my book.

In fact, it is my understanding that religion is supposed to bridge the gulf of confusion and anxiety between inner and outer realities. To neglect either is to be mispracticing, AFAIK.

Agreed. See, for a little while I felt pretty... angry towards the RHP because of exactly this, we all know what group is the best example... the sheeple...

But after a while I realized that there is a lot of power in all the RHP faiths. There is magnificent power in the worst case examples (refer to the movie Silent Hill), all the way up to the most pure examples. Many occultist's and LHP practitioners openly acknowledge the power you can find. Yet 9 out of 10 explanations of the RHP by the Left side sound elitist to me in some way. They might still be true :p, but the elitist element made me feel like something was being missed... because I think they are equally powerful and not opposites, just different methods to obtain similar goals.

I guess you could say that I don´t support either LHP or RHP practice as such, because I find both incomplete and probably unhealthy except perhaps under extreme circunstances. Or, equivalently, that I believe that both must be practiced concurrently in order to be healthy and whole.
I prefer to say, Neither should be disregarded. ;)

Sorcery... I don´t know how it figures into the subject matter. It is something else that I don´t quite understand, and it seems to me that it doesn´t really have much of a clear meaning anyway. Are you implying that it is a defining attribute of the LHP, perhaps as an exercise of self-expression in subtle ways?

I think she is saying that it is a defining attribute of Ultra Violet... ;) and her path.

IMO, it is prevalent and common on the Left, but not a requirement nowadays.

Conservative traditional people might say otherwise, but we don't need to get into the fluffbunny v.s. mean-*** conversation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(...) But after a while I realized that there is a lot of power in all the RHP faiths.

(...) I think they are equally powerful and not opposites, just different methods to obtain similar goals.

Thanks for answering. May I ask for a bit of clarification?

1) In your opinion, how important is the presence of power in a religious path? Feel free to elaborate on how and why.

2) Surely LHP and RHP are in some way opposite, at least according to those who recognize such terminology as meaningful. Unless, I suppose, the terminology is in fact quite arbitrary.

It is a cliche that LHP supposedly is a different way of reaching the same goal as the RHP. Saying so does not explain much, if anything, however. I wish someone eventually explained this in simpler terms.

Come to think of it, I´m particularly curious about how LHP generally understand and describe what they call RHP (for it appears that very few people actually call themselves RHP except perhaps in a context of coming from/ending up in LHP).

Myself, I´m half convinced that the RHP (as such) is in fact a creation of the LHP, to the extent it even exists at all.

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
Are these questions open to anyone, Luis? If not, ignore the following. If they are, here are my two cents;

1. Honestly, I've no idea. I've never been "religious" so I don't feel that I should really speak to this. However, I have always thought that faith was a kind of power. Isn't having faith in the deity you worship supposed to empower you to do the things you perhaps normally would not be able to do?

2. I see them as opposites, yes. I don't even thing the end of the paths are all that similar. Yes, both are trying to achieve a higher level of being, but RHP is trying to be WITH a god, where as LHP is arguably trying to be more; as in a god ourselves. (Of course this depends on your definition of Godhood). Also, RHP is submissive. RHP requires you to worship an external force/being, to abide by their rulesand follow the path they feel is the correct one. LHP instead gives you the power to findand follow your own path. You answer to no one but yoursel and you follow the path you feel is right. While I've nothing against RHP-ers the idea of having someone tell me how I HAVE to live is absolutally repulsive to me. Suggestions, fine. Definate orders, not so much.

In sort I see RHP as subjugation and LHP as liberation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are these questions open to anyone, Luis?

They better be; it is not like I got adequate permission for questioning about the subject matter or anything :)

If not, ignore the following. If they are, here are my two cents;

1. Honestly, I've no idea. I've never been "religious" so I don't feel that I should really speak to this. However, I have always thought that faith was a kind of power. Isn't having faith in the deity you worship supposed to empower you to do the things you perhaps normally would not be able to do?

That is one approach to religion, I suppose. I don't think it is the best, the purest or the most advisable, however.

Faith, IMO, is supposed to be more about tangible, relatable situations and entities (one that the faithful is directly involved with, if at all possible) than about vague and distant deities.

In fact, I don't think deities are a particularly useful concept for religion in this time and day.

As for power, well, power means nothing without proper use of it. Power is appealing, but wisdom is what religions should (again IMO) seek.

2. I see them as opposites, yes. I don't even thing the end of the paths are all that similar. Yes, both are trying to achieve a higher level of being, but RHP is trying to be WITH a god, where as LHP is arguably trying to be more; as in a god ourselves. (Of course this depends on your definition of Godhood). Also, RHP is submissive.

That makes me wonder how encompassing the classification in LHP and RHP is supposed to be. Surely supposed RHP traditions such as Christianity have at least some niches of people who know better than to automatically value submission over independent thought. That is, after all, how they survived to this day.

RHP requires you to worship an external force/being, to abide by their rules and follow the path they feel is the correct one. LHP instead gives you the power to find and follow your own path. You answer to no one but yourself and you follow the path you feel is right.

This in turn reminds me of another concept that I can't quite understand, that of Free Will. It seems to me that (vague and contradictory as it is) it was created precisely to address the most obvious shortcomings of a religious practice based on submission to external forces. To the extent that I can make some sense of it, it appears to claim that the power of finding and following our own paths is somehow inherent to all people.

Myself, I can't quite trust such models. Life as I know it simply does not show to respect the boundaries and limitations of either. But if it works for someone, more power to them, I guess.

While I've nothing against RHP-ers the idea of having someone tell me how I HAVE to live is absolutally repulsive to me. Suggestions, fine. Definate orders, not so much.

In sort I see RHP as subjugation and LHP as liberation.

That is a classic viewpoint, from what I have read.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Thanks for answering. May I ask for a bit of clarification?

1) In your opinion, how important is the presence of power in a religious path? Feel free to elaborate on how and why.
For me personally it is very important. What use would a religion or path be if it rendered the follower powerless? It is important because above all, at minimum, power over your Self is absolutely crucial. Every other form of possible power is extras. I don't think I really need to elaborate on why power over yourself is crucial.
2) Surely LHP and RHP are in some way opposite, at least according to those who recognize such terminology as meaningful. Unless, I suppose, the terminology is in fact quite arbitrary.
Well of course in some-- most ways probably--they are opposites and in other ways they can be similar. Religion is so vast and diverse it is impossible to set a definitive group of characteristics for these two categories. They are very very general.

Let me point out something as example. Mormons are christian. Mormons believe they can become like God, and that they have a spark of divinity within them that can be grown.

What does that sound similar to? Oh but they are on the right hand side! It's an example of a unique RHP variation.

The two categories are like a white blob and a black blob of liquidy goo that mingles in the middle to make different shades of gray. There is a right side of the blob and a left side of the blob with distinguishing characteristics, and then they all mingle in different variant shades in the middle. There might even be little stringy lines of white and black poking into each other like little sneaky traitor streams...:eek:

It is a cliche that LHP supposedly is a different way of reaching the same goal as the RHP. Saying so does not explain much, if anything, however. I wish someone eventually explained this in simpler terms.
I believe I said they can be similar.
Come to think of it, I´m particularly curious about how LHP generally understand and describe what they call RHP (for it appears that very few people actually call themselves RHP except perhaps in a context of coming from/ending up in LHP).

Myself, I´m half convinced that the RHP (as such) is in fact a creation of the LHP, to the extent it even exists at all.

It might have something to do with that christian "right hand of God" something er another. I don't know any specific references. I just remember being in churches and them always mentioning the right hand of God. The church I came from, the LDS church, has a staple: CTR or "Choose the Right." They wear rings and refer to it often. I'm sure there are other common references to "RIght" as well. I'm not going to say anything else about it because I really am ignorant of the specifics about it.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
... but the elitist element made me feel like something was being missed... because I think they are equally powerful and not opposites, just different methods to obtain similar goals.

I prefer to say, Neither should be disregarded. ;)

Let me embellish on this. Keep in mind that my ideas are still forming and evolving. When I get my opinion to a concrete state that's a different story. This is definitely not there yet.

What I was thinking about was the extreme ideas of liberation and subjugation. A lot of the time there is a clear differentiator when you look at this, but then LHPers look at RHPers and some of the time generalize them all as "sheeple," powerless, blind, and identify themselves as liberated, powerful, and "aware" or whatever. I was saying that in those respects they are not always exact opposites. All the characteristics do not always apply to each group and therefore a lot of the time cannot make them ccomplete opposites, and some of the goals can be similar. Once agian, the LDS as an example. I am sure there are others I am unaware of.

What exactly are you fishing for? I get the feeling that you are fishing for something specific and you're trying to pretend nice in order to get at it.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
You guys I hope I never come off as acting like I know for sure what I am talking about, cause on this path I am conmstantly realizing something else I didn't know before.

I am confused a little about this right and left thing all over agian right when I thought I had broke it all down.

According to some LHP'ers, who are way more experienced and educated on the subject than I, some occultism is RHP. Well I guess in a way that does make sense. Some practices of the Catholic church are considered occultic practices, like exorcism, and they are definitely RHP. But for instance, Thelema, Enochian, and Golden Dawn? I was told those are RHP too. And it is because they deal in Angel Craft. I hadn't done any reading on Thelema (Crowleys system of magic) or the others until very recently, and now it's only a little reading I've done, and I am so wowed. It is saturated with Judeo-Christian everything. They kinda stay away from the demons and focus more on evokng angels. In some of the rituals you begin in a crucifixion position and it is saturated with Biblical undertones and symbology. It is like the ceremonial magic/occult version of christianity/judaism. Sooo interesting.

So I don't know. I am totally clueless about this topic once agian.

blackout

Violet.
I think from now on I shall be thinking of mySelf on the ...
"At Hand" path.

Every-thing I could ever possibly need is ever and always at hand.
Right there in front of me, in me, around me... surrounding me.
Above me... Below me...

Besides sometimes you need two hands to pick a thing up.
Or to use a thing ... or do a thing.

Maybe it's just a light dark asthetic kind of thing.
Even on the keyboard.... the LH notes are dark... lower
the RH side is lighter... higher....
yet you can play light or dark on either side...
hands can sometimes cross sides...

I used to call mySelf ambidextrous.

But I think today anyway... I like the sound of the "At Hand" path.
Perhaps then, I shall forget less often......

Last edited: