• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Hand Path & Left Hand Path

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
These are two differnt posts from the Left Hand Path forums, which is a very specialized forum only for serious LHP practitioners and others. It is private due to the nature of what is discussed, but they are sweet and do welcome new people. I can't steal too much, but I got permission from ViaSinistra to post these two here. I thought it was amazing and I hope it gives some insight into the difference between Right and Left in the eyes of Left Hand Path practitioners.

In regards to the Right:

"Let me be of some assistance concerning the RHP...The Right Hand Path is based on the word 'submission.' The guide for happiness, doing the good, knowing the value of things comes from finding a system external from the Self, and remodeling the Self to fit. This system may take the form of obedience to an idolized being such as the Christian god, obedience to perceived historical and economical forces (e.g., Marxism), obedience to a gender group (e.g., feminism), obedience to a racial, national, or ethical group.

In each instances the Other is perceived of as larger and better than the Self, and that only in service to this external principle can the Good be obtained.

The practitioners of the Right Hand Path can be noble, good men and women who chose their principles wisely (e.g., Martin Luther King or Winston Churchill) or they may be destructive and stupid folk who chose their principles badly (e.g., Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin).

The Right Hand Path is much easier to understand and explain, because it values rules over consciousness. You can find a simple text that tells you what to do.

It's concept of the divine is to see the divine as omnipotent and omnipresent. Man is but a worm in comparison, and the purpose of life is to realize how small, frail, and ultimately illusory we are.

God is seen as static, and the salvation comes from achieving a similar static state, whether it is the constant adoration of the Christian heaven, or the selfless contemplation of the Buddhist Nirvana.

Many of the magical and spiritual techniques that are used by Left Hand Path Initiates are used by their Right Hand Path brothers. There are many similarities in the Paths--each would stress that surface appearances in the world are misleading, each would stress that most people in the world are profoundly asleep and spend most of their energy making sure that no one wakes up, each would stress that the battle to change the Self is an everyday battle.

There are many religions that fall outside of the Left Hand Path/ Right Hand Path dichotomy. Most Folk religions are not interested in transforming the Self, they are only interested in the maintenance of society. Other modes of thought such as Taoism, or Thelema as Aliester Crowley understood it, either ask different sorts of questions on how the Good is to be obtained, or offer mixtures between the paths.

There is no hatred of the Right Hand Path groups or practices by the mature Left Hand Path Initiate. The Initiate will have had to go through a break with that path, but sees the Right Hand Path as necessary for maintaining social controls. The Initiate has to accept the hatred and mindless loathing of the less developed Right Hand Path practitioners, with a constant truth before him or her, "If i fall back asleep, I will be the same!" This allows even the ugly face of the RHP to be a spur to maintaining one's Awareness."

-ViaSinistra

Regarding the Left Hand Path:

"The Left Hand Path is the way of the hero- the Path of those who dare breech the gates of eternity, to eat off the tree of life eternally having understood their own individual divinities. To stand against the inertia and ignorance of the whole of the universe- to strive against that which would thwart all intelligence and life and prevail against it, is the aim of the Path Sinister.

The Left Hand Path is simply the way of non union, of individuation, of independence. The Right Hand Path is the way of union, of collectivization, of dependence. What the Left Hand Path is not is "Evil." In fact, those who follow the Left Hand Path (by any name) today most closely approximate the ancient ideal of seeking the agathon-"the good." The Left Hand Path initiates seek to develop the Self to the point of divinity, this heightened sense of Self, once sufficiently developed, prevents any acts of true evil on the part of initiates because they have come to understand and know the Good.

The Path of the Sinner (the Via Sinistra) is the path of sovereigns. Those who would exercise sovereign power over themselves and their environments. Historical evidence for the presence of a true Left Hand Path is obvious in cultures originally shaped by Indo-European ideology (Egypt being the only possible exception). The extremely ancient sovereign values of eternal life and unlimited power of the Self are reflected in the philosophy of the Left Hand Path. There are two distinctive approaches to the Left Hand Path: the Transcendental Branch and the Immanent Branch. The transcendental Branch of the Left Hand Path (example: Temple of Set) makes use of an uncompromising subjective approach to the extant subjective universe, and thereby ultimately realizes the full reality and sovereignty of the Self. The Immanent Branch of the Left Hand Path (example: Church of Satan) takes an indirect route. Those who go this way focus on their independent carnal existence and travel through images in the objective universe to arrive at a mysterious, often indefinable state of being beyond the images. The branches terminate in a similar state, but their appearances are different.

The world needs to understand something of the Left Hand Path at this point in history as never before. This is because the world is now largely operating under a Left Hand Path paradigm. It is clear that the motivations for most (pre)-modern individuals revolve around the extension of life, independence, freedom, knowledge, power and pleasure. We live in a Faustian, or Mephistophelean Age. The sooner the true character of the Age is recognized, the sooner those who live in it will be able to move about with some self confidence. This Age has taken an Age to arrive, but if we look to the older age, and to those isolated individuals within the Age just passing, we will see examples of those who have mastered the Path.

A master of the Left Hand Path is one who has prevailed against the laws of the mechanical universe, the laws of stupidity, blind obedience to brute force, and eternal death of intelligence-- and created substance of the self by means of Will immortal identity which is in and of itself the greatest defiance against the universe. Such a one stands alone amidst the storms and stresses all about… yet is not alone! For across the abysmal seas of the World of Horrors such a one will see and come to know other dark stars hovering over the waters. By knowing them the star of the singular Self is made to burn with brilliance of darkness unto the glory of desire.

Should there come a point in which all the individual intelligences scattered about the vastness beyond the borders of time and space are extinguished by force of “Necessity”… it is their glory which will give the greatest brilliance to the whole which, even if for only a fleeting moment, “come into being.”

The only “True” enemy of the Left Hand Path is ignorance: the grinding human condition born of fear and expressed in the vehement of hatred. But this resistance too can be turned to strength by the power of the “Will” which belongs to the Left Hand Path to command. Where such ignorance is found, a Master of the Path will transform them into an illustration and illumination of the principles which distinguish his brilliance and intelligence from the obscurity and gloom which surrounds him. The Left Hand Path can break the bounds of time and reach back to discover moments which give shape and direction to his power. In this way he defies the compulsions and coercions of the past--thwarting beyond time his eternal enemies who have embodied ignorance-- and endow those moments with limitless possibilities for the future."

-ViaSinistra

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Are you asking RHP people to comment, ask questions, etc? Or are you just posting it to be informative?

In the "LHP Roll Call" thread right below this one, the thread went a little off topic and Ultra Violet in particular was askign questions about the difference between the two paths. I said I would get the best explanation I have seen so far and post it, but I wanted to put it in a new thread so it wouldn't be off topic from the OP.

So... it is for whatever anyone wants it to be. Information, for respectful comments, or to ask respectful questions... although I WILL have to drag Via over here to answer the questions more than likely. I just took the liberty of grabbing this cause he was kinda busy.:D

Please just remember this is a DIR. If anyone would like to take anything from here and debate, or present opposing ideas, it is cool but only in the debating section of the forum. ;)

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Thank you Lovely Tigeress!

(I shall keep re-reading what you posted for me,
until I understand it all.)

But let me speak here of myself for a minute,
perhaps you could shed some light for me.

I keep sensing that I am LHP,
but then something makes me not sure.

It's kind of like this...

When I improvise music,
obviously I am the one doing the playing,
and it is the efforts of all the countless hours I have spent in that medium
that have given me the ability to get around the keyboard with freedom and power,
and hear into the language of music.

One might easily say that I am the master of the musical creation.

However....
really when the musical brew is stirring to a boil
it is much more as if the music is playing ITSELF through me.
I actually become the medium of the transcendental
(in this case the music).

But then I step in and do something very "decided"...
more me.... (more "master" again)
but then I ride that... like a wave... surfing the waves of sound...

And then there is this "interplay" which rather resembles
a GIVE AND TAKE relationship. (with the transcendent)

And as I have come to view "God" as the Living Sentient UniVerse...
as manifest in any thing... music... water... literally any thing
mine is a Living Relationship with everything around me.

Yet as Heiress of this Source... (source-heiress... sorceress)
I know that I exist to play there, create there.
Not "under any watchful eye", but as my birthright
as co-creator with/in the UniVerse.

Can you all help me understand how this fits in with the understanding
of the Left Hand Path?

It has become important for me to understand this.
So please, any knowledgable help is much appreciated.

Am I LHP?

~UV~

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
of the Left Hand Path?

Am I LHP?

~UV~

Are you LHP? Thats up to you, no two beliefs in this section are the same. Some of are against the concept of God,against religion, against Christianity or against nothing at all and have our own thinking.
To put some of my perspective forward i have belief in myself, and this conforms with the LaVeyan belief that one should worship themselves as a God. I strongly believe in doing what is best for ones self, not what we are told to do. Hence i have a strong stance against organised religion (if you havn't noticed by most of my posts).

I say read the satanic bible, question your beliefs and see where you stand. You will understand the concepts better if you bring yourself to understand.

blackout

Violet.
What IS the satanic bible?

and...

Is the satanic bible the benchmark of a knowledgable LHPer
as the (regular?) bible is the benchmark of a christian's word view?

Is satanism a "religion"?
or a path.

Some call christianity a "way" and not a religion as well.

Is LHP an offchute of satanism?
or is it the other way around.
or perhaps neither.

Please excuse my total ignorance on the subject.

I went straight from christianity to "know thyself" and "to thine own self be true".

Does this make me LHP?
I know. It is for me to say... right?;)

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Thank you Lovely Tigeress!

(I shall keep re-reading what you posted for me,
until I understand it all.)

You're welcome darling! I have read it few quite a bit to try and absorb it all too. I have gotten used to doing that with Darkwater, Via, and the others. Darkwater is holding his tongue. I know he has something else profound and confusing to say. He is just being a man...:rolleyes:.

But let me speak here of myself for a minute,
perhaps you could shed some light for me.

I keep sensing that I am LHP,
but then something makes me not sure.

of the Left Hand Path?

Am I LHP?

~UV~

You definitely must decide for yourself like they said. Remember that the universe is not black and white. As above, so below... and in all things. You don't HAVE to just pick Left or Right. There are no rules that say you must be 100% Left or Right. You could be a combination of both. You wouldn't be the only one. With me, I say I am part of the LHP because I feel that is the primary path for me, but I may wander off in other directions and wander back. That is okay. The purpose is to learn and evolve.

What IS the satanic bible?

I don't know too horribly much about Satanism, but I know there are a few different kinds. LaVeyan Satanism uses the Satanic Bible as thier text. Other satanic paths might use it a little, but I believe it is primarily the cornerstone of Laveyan Satanism. I haven't read it yet. I read "The Revelation of Lucifer the Divine" first. That was an awsome book.

and...

Is the satanic bible the benchmark of a knowledgable LHPer
as the (regular?) bible is the benchmark of a christian's word view?

No. LHP includes a bunch of different paths.

Is LHP an offchute of satanism?
or is it the other way around.
or perhaps neither.

Nope.

Please excuse my total ignorance on the subject.

I went straight from christianity to "know thyself" and "to thine own self be true".

Does this make me LHP?

Just that? Nope. I know he said Buddhism is included in RHP, and I'm sure there are a ton of others in addition to just Christianity. One of those could fit what you are looking for.
I know. It is for me to say... right?;)
Yep:D

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
So far, the only thing I have sorta broken down out of what Via said, and what I have observed, is this:

RHP = (some of or all of) submission, dependence, obedience to higher power, rules laidout for spiritual growth, fear of punishment, deterence of knowledge, deterence of expanding ones conciousness, humans don't have divinity within them, humans are less than...

LHP = (some of or all of) respect instead of submission, independance, obedience to (??? yourself ???), no rules laid out for spiritual growth --> you manage your own spiritual agenda, no fire and brimstone, only fear of being ignorant, you never seem to stop learning new things from what I can see, you never stop growing it seems, humans have a spark of divinity within them which can be cultivated and expanded, humans are not less than anything other than what they allow themsleves to be less than.

I am by no means an authority on this subject! I am still learning! Darkwater or possibly Via can smooth that out for me if I am missing something or have something mistaken.

Darkwater

Well Via & I have somewhat different styles,I am more of a *go figure* type of person,whereas Via has studied the path in depth & I greatly admire his observations.

Speaking from my own experience,I have never seen a satanic bible,although I am sure that I would enjoy it as much as the holy bible.I would treat both the exact same,as I do any document regarded as holy....I read it,some insights come to me or they resonate with me & other times they don't.Most holy documents are definately not to be taken literally,maybe 95% pistis or dogma(dictated information that you accept or otherwise) & 5 % noesis,or divine.

I would never label followers of either *path* nor would I label myself,I respect the individual & their human rights to practice or *believe* as they choose.I am an individual who would scrutinise everything,take nothing for granted,apply Occam's razor without fear or prejudice & Socratic Reductionism(once you have eliminated the impossible,what you have left,no matter how improbable,is the *truth*.

Sometimes truths are true at some points,and untrue at other times.Then you have to figure what can sometimes allign with greater truths,and greater one until you can sometimes reach universal truths.

I'm goping off on one now,this is the point where my son's eyes glaze over & his high philosophy lesson is over for the day.

There is no cut & dried easy answer,and neither should their be.As long as you are comfortable,for me their is no comfort in labels left or right.

Labels are superflous,just do what you think is correct for yourself.

know thyself,then to thine own self be true.

Be the God,master of your own destiny according to the purpose of your birth,tis all.

It is addictive although a good habit.Instead of leaving you spiritless,it could be considered virtueous and with a sense of higher purpose as your true identity is revealed.

Linking with your higher self.

While the labellers argue the toss over that which the fingers on the left are unaware of the fingers of the right doing upon the fickle hands of fate.

I cannot be specific guys,great debate.

:)

In great love,

Andy

Darkwater

Yay-Yeah!

I am SO glad you are online! I saw the other day that you hadn't been online in a bit. I don't have to worry about saying somehing wrong now. :D

Hugs!
:hugehug:

Even when you are wrong you are right,some days I only open my mouth to change feet.

Shows great strength & depth of character to keep bouncing back like us.:D

I have missed this site,I do enjoy it so.

I always remember that there are no dumb questions,only dumb people with dumb answers........lulz..present company excepted,of course.

Better answers only lead to better questions until .........you get better answers again....can be perplexing,great that you can keep a sense of humour.

I love all this stuff!

In great love & respect,(& trust!)

Andy

:beach:

ViaSinistra

I'm extremely farmiliar with the Satanic Bible.. I was a member with the CoS for almost five years before i joined the ToS and would enjoy answering any questions you have concerning this. Thank you, ViaSinistra!

blackout

Violet.
I'm extremely farmiliar with the Satanic Bible.. I was a member with the CoS for almost five years before i joined the ToS and would enjoy answering any questions you have concerning this. Thank you, ViaSinistra!

Hello Via, we have not met.

The funny thing is that my friends here call me "Vi",
short for "Violet", and I do a double take everytime I see Via. :D

Anyway I thank you for offering to answer my questions
regarding LHP, CoS, & ToS. LULZ!
Aparantely you are very knowledgable there.

I suppose I will need to hunt down a "satanic bible".
(I still am not sure "what" it even is)
It was suggested when I first came here that I would enjoy Crowley.
Is that related?

Would someone mind putting up specific amazon links or the like,
to maybe the 2 or 3 best books to put this all in perspective for me?
Chaos Magic has intreigued me as well.

So I guess a reading list might be in order.
I think I am ready to spend some time reading again.

Thanks all...
~Vi~ ;)

Darkwater

Vi,

when you put your mind too it & speak your mind clearly you surpass me in every way.

you are always *lulz*

Your Very Welcome

ATB :) (just means all the best)

Andy

ViaSinistra

"The Satanic Bible" by Anton Szandor LaVey is an imprint of harperCollins publishers. Copyrighted in 1969. The first Avon books printing was in December of 1969 aswell. Crowley is not related to Antons Belief System, no. However, Crowley was one of Anton's structure's that led him in his direction along with many more...

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Here is where I downloaded the Satanic Bible:

(ebook-pdf) - religion - the satanic bible.pdf

I typically like to have real books on my bookshelf, but when you're poor pdf's can hold you over until you can buy the hardcopy. :D

Who buys books these days lol? Why pay for something you can get for free...? Oh yeh, thats wrong isn't? Oh well its everyone elses fault for allowing me to access it :)

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I dunno why, but I honestly just prefer to be able to hold something physical in my hand.

The best place to buy books I have found so far is the amazon marketpace. It's not too expensive... worth it I think.:)