• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Princess Bride- the book

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What Happens
When the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince in the world and he turns out to be a son of a *****?

Well im reading this ridiculously awesome book for the first time, and I love getting the feel of authentic high adventure that the movie is an adaptation of.
for example.. did you know that Fezzik was a Turk? :D
Is it a bit strange by me to read the book just now, considering the movie is probably my favorite of all time?
For those of you who read it, considering that the movie is also ridiculously awesome, how does the adventure and wit of the book measure up for you?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I liked the movie better, myself. (Mandy Patinkin ftw!) Especially the grandkid's version of the interuptions. Although, I did deeply sympathize with the book's rant about the princess' packing scene. Classics can kinda suck that way.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I have never read the book. I might some day, but it's hard to imagine it living up to, much less exceeding the movie.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Thanks all for your input. the part about the fire swamp did have difficulties in measuring up to the movie scene, must be the adorable outfit of the R.O.U.S.
nevertheless the book is splendid.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thanks all for your input. the part about the fire swamp did have difficulties in measuring up to the movie scene, must be the adorable outfit of the R.O.U.S.
nevertheless the book is splendid.

I loved both. I would choose to watch and watch again and watch again and watch again the movie, however. It's one of the best and most quotable movies ever.

:)

J Bryson

I did like the menagerie in the book, and was sad that they weren't able to translate it to film (and I'm in the "Most quotable/One of my favorite movies" club).

Alceste

Vagabond
I usually like books better. I'd forgotten a lot of what happens in the movie by the time I read the book, so I really enjoyed it, but it doesn't stick in my mind as one of the "best books I've ever read". On the other hand, the movie is one of the "best movies I've ever seen". So while reading and watching films are on two completely different scales of enjoyment for me, I can say the movie ranks higher on the "movie scale" than the book ranks on the "book scale". Nevertheless, they both rank quite high.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have seen the movie, I suppose I should read the book. I always see the movie first, because the books are always 100 times better than any movie made from it, at least in my opinion. And that includes Harry Potter.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I usually agree with you, Christine, but The Princess Bride is a rare exception, imo.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I found the Princess Bride, but I could only find the abridged version (edited by William Golding). Is the unabridged version better than the abridged version. Or is it, as Mr. Golding said, too descriptive?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I found the Princess Bride, but I could only find the abridged version (edited by William Golding). Is the unabridged version better than the abridged version. Or is it, as Mr. Golding said, too descriptive?

There is no "unabridged version". There was no "S. Morgenstern". The author is William Goldman and the part about him abridging another's work...is part of the fiction.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I must say though, that it would be wonderful if Goldman ever did write "Buttercup's Baby". The end of "The Princess Bride" just calls for more. He leaves us hanging a bit and a sequel would be great.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is no "unabridged version". There was no "S. Morgenstern". The author is William Goldman and the part about him abridging another's work...is part of the fiction.

That's really interesting!;)
I am totally enjoying the book, it is like the movie.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I feel kind of stupid for not realizing that the abridgment was part of the story. Now that I think about it, the things that were supposedly cut out were silly, such as packing chests and stuff. No one would ever write a novel with 100 pages of packing. Forgive me for being so dumb. :D