• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Practicality of Pet Names

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Does calling someone "honey" make you more sweet on them? Do the pet names we choose affect the image of the person that we hold?

blackout

Violet.
No,I think the image we have of the person affects the pet names we choose.

In my case I saw a humorous interplay,
in change, over time.

I once got this tiny little kitten at a roller rink.
I named her "Booboo" on the way home
just because I THOUGHT she was so cute.

But the fact of the matter was she was skittish to begin with,
which only got worse when we held band practice in my apartment.

So at some point I REALized that "Booboo"
was REALLY "Boo-Boo"
Then at some point I just called the little terror "Boo!"

Like a poltergiest landing on your face in the middle of the night.

Later in life before she passed on
she became my brother's (due to circumstance)
and she mellowed considerably in her age.

He called her "Booboo" once again.
And so she was.

(lol. but come to think of it...
Seeing her only occasionally at that point
I still always expected the worst from her.
So for me she remained "Boo".)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i use pet names like hunny, darling, and baby for all of my friends. i use much worse for my partners.

+Xausted

i actively dislike pet names. i find them annoyingly overfamililar when offered from complete strangers (bar woman called me "babe" and"pet" the other week...wanted to look her up and down and ask to see her manager)
and from partners they are just an excuse to never get your name mixed up with an ex of theirs......:D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm an active practitioner of bestowing pet names to others. I don't offer them to complete strangers, but when I get to know someone, I usually find myself calling them something along the lines of "beautiful", "love", "dearest","gorgeous", or something similar.

I reserve "babe" or "baby" mostly for my husband, although I call him most of the other pet names, too. And for my kids, I call them "sweetie" or "sweetheart." Yes, I do think that offering pet names for others helps me to endear myself to them more so than without.

Plus, I love it when my hubbie calls me dumplin'. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm an active practitioner of bestowing pet names to others. I don't offer them to complete strangers, but when I get to know someone, I usually find myself calling them something along the lines of "beautiful", "love", "dearest","gorgeous", or something similar.

Peace,
Mystic

Is this why you call me "dumba$$"? I always thought it was a bad thing, but now...:cool:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My sister has a dog named "Curby" he is 16 years old now..He was found on a "curb" as a 6 week old puppy in a box with a dead sibling..

I named my Girl Roxanne (my first Rottie) because I liked that song..My husband picked out Mandy for our second...Blue...my boy Blue I named becuase his skin under his hair looks blue to me..

I have a cat named Apple...(hence my name here) cuz her head is exactly like an apple but with ears..And Furry because she is extremely furry..

And Mama Kitty...she is about 16 years old...I found her in the bushess 15 years ago with her litter of three kittens..so I named her "mama" ....My husband told me dont give her food..dont "feed her"...I've been feedinng her for 15 years! LOL!!!

Now "Sparky"...Hes' my little Yorkshire Terrior..I didnt name him ...If I did? I would have named him Pisser.... ;)

Snowflake was my Leapord Ghecko I had for 12 years...Rose was my Turantula...

Chester and Teddy were my Persians.. Pa Pa was my Engilsh bulldog....and on and on...

Wow..

Blessings

Inky

I think it goes both ways, but one's perception of someone is mostly what causes you to choose their pet name, not the other way around. Probably the strangest pet name I've given someone is my ex-boyfriend, who I'd sometimes call Baby Sloth. He made a great baby sloth face too. It was cute.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Sometimes people call me Hannah Montana, and I don't think it's funny... Everyone thinks that is so funny, and at work the other day some guy said, "Are you Hannah Montana?" when he saw my name tag, and he laughed...... ??Why is that funny?? I just told him "No. I'm not." and that ended the conversation. What a moron.

Troublemane

I used to refer to my cat as "the cat", never wanting to give him a name, until it became apparent that yes I was keeping him, and I took him to the vets the first time---they demanded a name for him! So I called him Charlie....
...short for Charlie Alpha Tango
:D

blackout

Violet.
In my case I saw a humorous interplay,
in change, over time.

I once got this tiny little kitten at a roller rink.
I named her "Booboo" on the way home
just because I THOUGHT she was so cute.

But the fact of the matter was she was skittish to begin with,
which only got worse when we held band practice in my apartment.

So at some point I REALized that "Booboo"
was REALLY "Boo-Boo"
Then at some point I just called the little terror "Boo!"

Like a poltergiest landing on your face in the middle of the night.

Later in life before she passed on
she became my brother's (due to circumstance)
and she mellowed considerably in her age.

He called her "Booboo" once again.
And so she was.

(lol. but come to think of it...
Seeing her only occasionally at that point
I still always expected the worst from her.
So for me she remained "Boo".)

LOLOLOL!!!

Do you think I actually read the OP this morning at 6:00am after being up all night?
Or perhaps I was just seeing double... ehhh my pets?!?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh also I had a dove I named Prince....Poor thing never belonged in a cage..my husband gave him to me when I was 17...He died when I was about 25..On the bottom of the cage..

Never put a dove in a cage and lock him there...It doesnt matter what you name him..

Blessings

Dallas