• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mask Hall of Fame

exchemist

Veteran Member
If it stops infected people from spreading it... why are healthy people required to use it?

And, if you look at today's facemarks (from bandanas to home made masks to just cloth masks) - what does it really do except assuage people's fears?

I wear the mask often but I also know it really doesn't change anything as it is only a cloth mask.
Because - I can hardly believe I am still needing to explain this, 6 months into the epidemic - you have no way of knowing whether you are infectious or not. Nobody can know, on a particular day, whether or not they are "healthy", as you put it.

We know for a fact that you can spread the virus before you show any symptoms, and we know for a fact you can even remain totally asymptomatic and still be infected, especially if you are under 30. So you can easily think you are "healthy", but in reality you risk spreading the virus every time you breathe out.

On the masks, a cloth mask will reduce the projection of droplets into the air around you when you exhale.

It is that simple. Nobody claims it is perfect, but then the name of the game is to get R <1. So every little thing we do contributes to that: masks, social distancing, working from home, not attending concerts (or indeed singing, much to my personal dismay)......

The more we can control the spread, the more vital activities we can allow to resume, the hot issue right now being to let the schools go back. If people don't get the message and help each other via these simple and not very onerous measures, the schools have to stay out and a generation of children will be damaged.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I tip my hat (I do have one) off to you. 10 hours of heavy labor... amazing!!!!

Do you get headaches or any side effects?
No headaches. I do use ear savers that pin the bands in the back. And I take it off during breaks (to eat and drink) a few times a day.
The hardest part is getting adequate water throughout the day.

Rational Agnostic

I'm on my third straight day of wearing a mask doing heavy labor for over 10 hours. I don't have much sympathy for people who refuse to wear it for an hour or less.

Impressive. Do you mind if I ask what this heavy labor is? If it's outdoor consturction work with social distancing, you should be able to do it without needing a mask the entire time. But good that you're being cautious.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Impressive. Do you mind if I ask what this heavy labor is? If it's outdoor consturction work with social distancing, you should be able to do it without needing a mask the entire time. But good that you're being cautious.
PT and massage. I'm in a treatment room throughout most of the day.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Because - I can hardly believe I am still needing to explain this, 6 months into the epidemic - you have no way of knowing whether you are infectious or not. Nobody can know, on a particular day, whether or not they are "healthy", as you put it.

We know for a fact that you can spread the virus before you show any symptoms, and we know for a fact you can even remain totally asymptomatic and still be infected, especially if you are under 30. So you can easily think you are "healthy", but in reality you risk spreading the virus every time you breathe out.

I see this as an expression of fear. So, we need to shut up into home 80% of the healthy population because we don't know if you are sick since you don't show any symptoms. (As if people cough on top of other people and sneeze into the faces of others.

Not to mention that we don't know all the ways it transmits as a new virus.

On the masks, a cloth mask will reduce the projection of droplets into the air around you when you exhale.

Yes,,, but it is still no guarantee. Coughing onto your arm also reduces the projection of droplets. Not speaking to someone two feet away from someones face also helps. Not kissing your spouse also helps.

The more we can control the spread, the more vital activities we can allow to resume, the hot issue right now being to let the schools go back. If people don't get the message and help each other via these simple and not very onerous measures, the schools have to stay out and a generation of children will be damaged.

This is not true. You start activities you increase the spread. CDC - important to get children back into school.

You can be a hermit if you like it.... I'm not a monk either.

So... go to bed assured that Heaven is real, 97% of all people infected get better, we all will die sometime. 36,500 died in the US of car accidents - 2019: 67,300 died of an overdose in 2018, over 870,000 died prematurely in a womb in 2017.

But I get up every morning to live the life I have and to make a difference in someone else's life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
0DO1UF.jpg