• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mask Hall of Fame

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I missed the obvious. I know who does not think he needs to wear a mask but wants to make sure he's safe

And who wants to keep his army safe from the virus:

3155435-deck.jpg

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Missing the point, perhaps deliberately, in order to keep up the relentless drumbeat of stupid opposition to wearing masks.

The point of the flaming mask, you see, is to stop YOU infecting other people. Which you do via droplets exhaled with your breath. Not your eyes.

To protect you from catching the virus, yes you need a face visor, which is in fact recommended for people whose jobs force them into close contact with a lot of potentially infected people (our local hairdresser wears one, for example).

It does actually makes sense, if you do not go out of your way to misunderstand the concept, in order to enable you to make bad jokes about it.

:rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head. They're willfully ignorant because they know that their narrative (which is like a security blanket they're emotionally dependant upon) will quickly collapse beneath the weight of knowledge.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You hit the nail on the head. They're willfully ignorant because they know that their narrative (which is like a security blanket they're emotionally dependant upon) will quickly collapse beneath the weight of knowledge.
Yeah I do get fed up with this. There is really no excuse for not understanding, by now, the rationale for masks in public areas. And trying to pretend that this sniping at mask-wearing is "only a joke, where's your sense of humour?" is a low trick, enabling the "joker" to have it both ways.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah I do get fed up with this. There is really no excuse for not understanding, by now, the rationale for masks in public areas. And trying to pretend that this sniping at mask-wearing is "only a joke, where's your sense of humour?" is a low trick, enabling the "joker" to have it both ways.

And in order for a joke to be funny or clever, it has to make sense or convey a valid point.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Missing the point, perhaps deliberately, in order to keep up the relentless drumbeat of stupid opposition to wearing masks.

The point of the flaming mask, you see, is to stop YOU infecting other people. Which you do via droplets exhaled with your breath. Not your eyes.

To protect you from catching the virus, yes you need a face visor, which is in fact recommended for people whose jobs force them into close contact with a lot of potentially infected people (our local hairdresser wears one, for example).

It does actually makes sense, if you do not go out of your way to misunderstand the concept, in order to enable you to make bad jokes about it.

Well, if you wear the mask for protection then If the others mask doesn't work 100% you'd be protected. Works both ways.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, if you wear the mask for protection then If the others mask doesn't work 100% you'd be protected. Works both ways.
[Sigh.]

If you wear a regular mask for protection, and you are a hairdresser or a bartender, you can easily still catch the virus, because your eyes are not protected and the mask is not very good at excluding all the infectious particles. All you need is to inhale one infected droplet, or get one in your eye. What you need is a visor.

However, if it is you that is infected, the mask can trap or reduce the distance of travel of infectious droplets you exhale considerably, making it a lot less likely that any of them will reach other people.

OK?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the non-serious aspect of this post: ha, ha.
For the serious aspect, if any of those other masks were as globally available, reasonable to use day to day, and affordable for the majority of the population they would have been recommended. But with proper hand washing, not touching your face, and reducing droplet ejecta, cloth masks are perfectly reasonable. They've worked for medical professionals for decades and they can work for us, too.

I'm on my third straight day of wearing a mask doing heavy labor for over 10 hours. I don't have much sympathy for people who refuse to wear it for an hour or less.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Fyi, sign language relies on both eyes and mouth shapes to signify grammar. It's possible to do sign language without it, but not as accurate or efficient.

Yes. I took ASL interpreting classes and among Deaf people and Deaf culture. Interpreters don't wear masks because it's a communication barrier where facial expression, movement, mouth shapes are used to compliment and/or are messages and languages conveyed between native signers.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. I took ASL interpreting classes and among Deaf people and Deaf culture. Interpreters don't wear masks because it's a communication barrier where facial expression, movement, mouth shapes are used to compliment and/or are messages and languages conveyed between native signers.
Hopefully they're able to get plastic window masks and/or are able to maintain proper distance while interpreting.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
[Sigh.]

If you wear a regular mask for protection, and you are a hairdresser or a bartender, you can easily still catch the virus, because your eyes are not protected and the mask is not very good at excluding all the infectious particles. All you need is to inhale one infected droplet, or get one in your eye. What you need is a visor.

However, if it is you that is infected, the mask can trap or reduce the distance of travel of infectious droplets you exhale considerably, making it a lot less likely that any of them will reach other people.

OK?

It lowers the risk. If one really wants to be technical you can put the mask down, someone touch it, they catch the illness. Maybe someone sneezes hard enough the mask does catch it all just as when we cover our mouth with our hands. So many variables.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

If it stops infected people from spreading it... why are healthy people required to use it?

And, if you look at today's facemarks (from bandanas to home made masks to just cloth masks) - what does it really do except assuage people's fears?

I wear the mask often but I also know it really doesn't change anything as it is only a cloth mask.

Kenny

Premium Member
For the non-serious aspect of this post: ha, ha.
For the serious aspect, if any of those other masks were as globally available, reasonable to use day to day, and affordable for the majority of the population they would have been recommended. But with proper hand washing, not touching your face, and reducing droplet ejecta, cloth masks are perfectly reasonable. They've worked for medical professionals for decades and they can work for us, too.

I'm on my third straight day of wearing a mask doing heavy labor for over 10 hours. I don't have much sympathy for people who refuse to wear it for an hour or less.
I tip my hat (I do have one) off to you. 10 hours of heavy labor... amazing!!!!

Do you get headaches or any side effects?

Rational Agnostic

If it stops infected people from spreading it... why are healthy people required to use it?

And, if you look at today's facemarks (from bandanas to home made masks to just cloth masks) - what does it really do except assuage people's fears?

I wear the mask often but I also know it really doesn't change anything as it is only a cloth mask.

Apparently almost half of COVID patients are asymptomatic, which is why people who feel healthy are supposed to wear it also.

Why do you think masks don't work? Do you believe that the virus is airborne? *If* the virus is truly airborne then you're right, masks would be worthless. There are some people trying to claim that the virus is airborne while still advocating for masks. That I would agree is pure stupidity. But I'm not convinced that the virus is truly airborne, in which case, masks will work. I think that the assumption that the virus is non-airborne is a safe assumption, so masks are a good idea.

Kenny

Premium Member
Apparently almost half of COVID patients are asymptomatic, which is why people who feel healthy are supposed to wear it also.

Why do you think masks don't work? Do you believe that the virus is airborne? *If* the virus is truly airborne then you're right, masks would be worthless. There are some people trying to claim that the virus is airborne while still advocating for masks. That I would agree is pure stupidity. But I'm not convinced that the virus is truly airborne, in which case, masks will work. I think that the assumption that the virus is non-airborne is a safe assumption, so masks are a good idea.

I think they are still working on that.

Aerosol Scientist: COVID-19 Is Likely Airborne