• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jehovah's witnesses and the rest. What's the stumper?

exchemist

Veteran Member
and yet i make no claim of going off to heaven .Catholic's think its a given to go to heaven . they are in for a big surprise
Catholic's what? Oh I see, you mean Catholics.

Catholics don't think that at all. For a start, Catholics believe salvation comes from faith and works, i.e. you need to live a good life as well as believe. Secondly, they believe that people who die in a state of sin (probably most of us) require a period of cleansing before they admitted to heaven. This is called Purgatory and is a specifically Catholic idea.

Dogknox20

you should end you post with'' IMHO '' because that's really all you have
cataway.... These are your words from post 699... "...the apostle Peter was given “the keys of the kingdom of the heavens” so that people of any race could learn about God’s purposes, be “born again” from holy spirit, and become spiritual heirs with Christ...."
cataway This is your Opinion you have no proof scripturally that ... people of any race could learn about God’s purposes from "the Keys"!.... Clearly this is what you have been taught!

Fact scriptures and LOGIC tell us... Mary is mother because Christians are IMMERSED into the risen body of Jesus!
Jesus gave Mary his mother to "Christians" as he died on the Cross! He gave "Christians" to Mary as he died on the cross! "This is your mother!"
Baptism IMMERSES Christians into the RISEN body of Jesus! FACT: 3000 were ADDED to the body of Jesus the first day of Pentecost by; Baptism!
cataway If you were "IN Jesus" then you also would rise from the grave no one can die twice, Jesus had done that never to die again!

Scriptures are clear... "All Generations will honor Mary as Blessed!" To be in a generation; to be part of a generation you MUST be in the family! All the GENERATIONS of Mary family honor her! For two thousand years Catholics have honored Mary as Blessed! The Prophesy rings true ONLY with the Catholic Church! PROVING you are not in Mary's family she cannot be your mother, you do NOT honor Mary because "Mary cannot be your mother"! Mary cannot be your mother so Jesus cannot be your brother!

Dogknox20

OK thanks. Seems you still picked up some slightly strange ideas about what Catholics believe.

@metis will be a sound source of information. @Dogknox20 seems to be, well, doing what dogs do :D, so I would not pay too much attention to him if I were you.
exchemist I hope all is well.... I post scriptures this is what I do! You must reject the scriptures to reject the Catholic Church.. It is just this simple! The Watch Tower all Protestants MUST reject or twist and massage and massage Gods words until they say what they want them to say!
Your comment is flippant uncalled for!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Catholics don't think that at all. For a start, Catholics believe salvation comes from faith and works, i.e. you need to live a good life as well as believe. Secondly, they believe that people who die in a state of sin (probably most of us) require a period of cleansing before they admitted to heaven. This is called Purgatory and is a specifically Catholic idea.
Exactly. But we also have to always remember that the JW's are fed a batch of lies about not only the Catholic Church but also about our Protestant brothers and sisters.

For example, they teach that we Catholics worship the sun, sometimes showing a picture of the bread given during the Eucharist in a sun-like metallic display as being "proof". It would take about 5 minutes on google to find out that this is simply not true and that the display of the sun fits into Paul's statement that we are to be "children of the light". It would take only a bit of their time to google it and find out that idol worship of any sort is contrary to what we believe and teach, and yet some of them will ignore the quotes we show from these sources and just repeat the same lies over and over and over again. [you might remember a rather heated conversation I had with one of them about a year or so again whereas that person just kept of repeating the same lie even after I quoted several Catholic sources.

So, why do they do this? Because they are forbidden to read the religious materials from other faiths/denominations, so they have to blindly believe what the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society tells them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Exactly. But we also have to always remember that the JW's are fed a batch of lies about not only the Catholic Church but also about our Protestant brothers and sisters.

For example, they teach that we Catholics worship the sun, sometimes showing a picture of the bread given during the Eucharist in a sun-like metallic display as being "proof". It would take about 5 minutes on google to find out that this is simply not true and that the display of the sun fits into Paul's statement that we are to be "children of the light". It would take only a bit of their time to google it and find out that idol worship of any sort is contrary to what we believe and teach, and yet some of them will ignore the quotes we show from these sources and just repeat the same lies over and over and over again. [you might remember a rather heated conversation I had with one of them about a year or so again whereas that person just kept of repeating the same lie even after I quoted several Catholic sources.

So, why do they do this? Because they are forbidden to read the religious materials from other faiths/denominations, so they have to blindly believe what the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society tells them.
If that was Deeje then I would not have been able to see it - I take certain measures to keep my blood pressure within the bounds considered compatible with life. :D

But this person claims to have Catholic neighbours and on that basis to be well-informed about Catholicism!

Dogknox20

I can't agree more... To be a JW you must hang your brain up as you enter the door! LOGIC alone tells them Jesus never built their church, to be JW you must jettison logic! Built on ROCK not on sand there is only ONE Church never to fail!

cataway

sun worship ?? never in my life have i seen or heard that ! were do you get your information?

you do have statues and picture's of Mary and of Jesus in your churches, do you not? that would be a form of idle worship, would it not ? Christion's are to worship in spirit not by sight . but you knew that ,right?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
sun worship ?? never in my life have i seen or heard that ! were do you get your information?
The person that I repeatedly dealt with this here at RF over quite a period of time still posts here as a JW. However, with an agreement harbored by a moderator, we no longer discuss anything. Some here probably know who that person is.

you do have statues and picture's of Mary and of Jesus in your churches, do you not? that would be a form of idle worship, would it not ?
Yes, we have these statues but, no, we do not worship them as that is forbidden in Catholicism. Instead, we may "venerate", which is not the same as "worship", much like we can venerate the Bible but not worship it .

Christion's are to worship in spirit not by sight . but you knew that ,right?
Of course, and we also know that we can worship in the Spirit even if we don't have a Bible with us. In your "Awake" and "The Watchtower" magazines, you have pictures, so why are they there? Much like statues, they are used as reminders.

cataway

Yes, we have these statues but, no, we do not worship them as that is forbidden in Catholicism. Instead, we may "venerate", which is not the same as "worship", much like we can venerate the Bible but not worship it .

hummmm, objects of veneration . and if you were to find your self in a place of ,lets say, pagan worship ,would you say the statues / Idles were just objects of veneration ? what if the people were bowing down to it or grasping some object in their hands . would it then just be objects of veneration or worship?? or would it then be a talisman ??
have you ever seen some one grasping a smallish cross when praying ? maybe kissing it . humm

the copper snake that Moses put on a stick/pole ,was that a objects of veneration ,did it become one ?? humm what ever happened to that item ? one could say it was special . was it lost ,stolen or what ?

cataway

mary-worship.jpg
is this is this a pic of veneration ?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

you do have statues and picture's of Mary and of Jesus in your churches, do you not? that would be a form of idle worship, would it not ? Christion's are to worship in spirit not by sight . but you knew that ,right?
Idle? I assure you people pray very earnestly and hard in Catholic churches.

Oh sorry, you mean idol. Well no, actually, contemplating a crucifix, or a picture, or a statue is an aid to prayer: it helps the person focus his or her thoughts. (Nobody is so stupid as to think the man-made object in front of him is an actual God, obviously.)

Misty Woods

A Child of Our Almighty Creator Jehovah
Hello Misty Woods to say what you said above you MUST reject the words of God! The One Holy Catholic Church made the bible! You MUST accept she got it right otherwise you can't be sure the various books you read in the bible are truly God inspired! It is just this simple! Reject the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church then reject your bible!

Scriptures tell you "Jesus is ALWAYS with his church" you reject this scriptures you MUST to be JW!
Scriptures tell you "The Holy Spirit is ALWAYS with his church FOREVER"! You reject this scriptures you MUST reject it to be JW!
Scriptures tell you "The Church Jesus built is built on ROCK not on sand!" Again you MUST reject this scriptures to be JW!
Scriptures tell you... "The Holy Spirit will guide the Church INTO ALL TRUTH"! "
Scriptures tell you... "Listen to the Church, or be treated as pagan, a person outside of God' family!" "
Scriptures tell you Misty Woods "He who hears the Church hears Jesus, he who rejects the Church rejects Jesus and thus GOD!"! You MUST reject this scriptures to be JW!
Scriptures tell you... "From NOW ON (2000 years ago) all Mary's Children will honor Mary as Blessed!" Misty Woods this PROPHESY can NOT apply to you or your church it was NOT around 2000 years ago.. Proving you are NOT in Mary' family! You are NOT in Mary's family so Jesus cannot be your brother. You are NOT in Mary's family Jesus cannot be your brother so God cannot be your father.. It is Just this simple!
Scriptures tell you "Saved by the Blood of Jesus" Misty Woods you cannot be saved by the Blood of Jesus because you do NOT drink the blood! Look at 1 Cor 11 the Apostles DRANK the blood!
Scriptures tell you "Jesus died for his Church!" You reject this verse as another lie!
Scriptures tell you "Jesus loves his church, his Church is Holy and blameless!" You reject this verse also! You say the Church Jesus formed failed it was NOT holy it was NOT guided by the Holy Spirit!
etc
Misty Woods The scriptures were written By Catholic's the Catholic Church made her bible!
The Church came before the bible!

The Bibles tells us go into all the world Teach & Preach the One Holy Catholic Church brought Jesus and salvation to the world for the first sixteen Hundred years THERE Weren't Bibles. The Catholic Church PREACHED to save souls!
Bless your heart

Misty Woods

Continuation of #695
I asked you in a previous post a couple questions.... You did not answer them.. Why!?
Here they are one more time! Be honest!
Misty Woods QUESTION: Did Jesus lie? Did the Holy Spirit abandon Jesus' holy body CHURCH; is the Holy Spirit FOREVER WITH the Church Jesus established?! Y N
&
QUESTION: "Did Jesus build on ROCK or on sand?" Did the Church Jesus established before he left earth; actually fail?! Again "Did Jesus lie?!" Are the scriptures a LIE!?
Sadly Dogknox20, you seem to have become incredibly arrogant with your loss for logic, and here in the south, we understand that it is unkind of us to continue on a course of expecting logic from those we find to be ill equipped.

Misty Woods

And where do you believe they received this purgatory idea?

Misty Woods

Actually, I was raised up in multiple religious beliefs, such as Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian, and Catholic. Due to my curiosity, I was allowed to be well rounded in knowledge of differing beliefs, and so I also became well acquainted with Pentecostals, Assembly of God, Church of Christ, Mormons, and Adventists....... Most all were well meaning folks, however, I found that they put their faith in whatever their imperfect human pasture or priest insisted that they believe, rather, than what's actually written in the Scriptures.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sadly Dogknox20, you seem to have become incredibly arrogant with your loss for logic, and here in the south, we understand that it is unkind of us to continue on a course of expecting logic from those we find to be ill equipped.
Yes Misty.....there is a certain kind of blindness that is spoken about in the Bible....but we can rest assured that it only affects "unbelievers" (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).....so what then is the definition of an "unbeliever"?

Seems to be the ones described in Matthew 7:21-23.....those whom Jesus says he "never knew" but who appear to consider themselves to be good Christians.....:shrug:

It'll all come out in the wash....:D Jesus knows those who belong to him.