• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Importance of Preserving Humanity

Skwim

Veteran Member
I watched Interstellar, the movie,

jG7v9xelibU0RVYuPluUdEdepko@428x267.jpg

the other night in which a team of explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to ensure humanity's survival.

It raised the question: What purpose would preserving humanity serve?

I couldn't come up with any. Can you?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?

the other night in which a team of explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to ensure humanity's survival.

It raised the question: What purpose would such an undertaking serve?

Never have.

Jumi

You mean preserving humanity or going through a wormhole? I think there's enough good in us to want some of that to survive. Objectively useless, but I think it's a good idea.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You mean preserving humanity or going through a wormhole? I think there's enough good in us to want some of that to survive. Objectively useless, but I think it's a good idea.
Preserving humanity. (I'll rephrase my OP.)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The purpose it would serve is mental comfort to those who undertake it.

Ultimately, there is no preserving humanity. The universe is always changing, and species are always evolving. Humans are not immune from, and will never be immune from, these forces.

It's also worth considering the ecology of it. Introducing novel species outside of their place of origin often creates problems, and humans are already the most invasive species on this planet. They would no doubt decimate and destroy others.

Sultan Of Swing

It raised the question: What purpose would preserving humanity serve?

Because saving people's lives is good?

I can understand what you mean if it's just sending off some embryos into some habitable planet, and some machines will raise them into adults or something, all for the sake of preserving the human species, as it were.

But if it's people here on earth, and the earth is becoming uninhabitable, surely it just comes down to the same reasons we would have anyway when it comes to saving people's lives, a government having the duty to protect its citizens, ensure their safety and their freedoms? Acting in the interest of their well-being, there is a mass movement of peoples to another planet? The reason why we'd do that is the same for why we help people anyway, save people, protect, etc.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Because there's so many beautiful people who deserve to have the chance to develop to their full potential and attempt to change the world for the positive. Even if there's just a little light left, that light deserves to be preserved and nourished.

Now if I, a misanthrope (and sometimes a rather extreme one at that), can come up with a reason to save humanity on the fly, the rest of you can as well.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because there's so many beautiful people who deserve to have the chance to develop to their full potential and attempt to change the world for the positive. Even if there's just a little light left, that light deserves to be preserved and nourished.

Now if I, a misanthrope (and sometimes a rather extreme one at that), can come up with a reason to save humanity on the fly, the rest of you can as well.
Just to be clear, the issue isn't a matter of accommodating the needs, desires, or aspirations of individuals, but considering humanity as a whole. Is there something inherently valuable in the nature of humanity that makes it worth preserving in the face of possible extinction? Where would the loss lie if humanity as a whole went extinct?

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Evolutionary forces don't come this far just to give up because the chances seem impossible. Expect near every living thing to die trying as hard as possible not to and breed as much as possible.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Evolutionary forces don't come this far just to give up because the chances seem impossible. Expect near every living thing to die trying as hard as possible not to and breed as much as possible.
Keep in mind that evolution isn't goal driven.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Humanity as it is now can not be preserved, species change over time - as ours has and will continue to do. Interstellar Homo Sapiens will be a very different species from us.

Like Mars for example, humans would be very different after only a few generations.

Jumi

Humanity as it is now can not be preserved, species change over time - as ours has and will continue to do. Interstellar Homo Sapiens will be a very different species from us.

Like Mars for example, humans would be very different after only a few generations.
I only think that would happen if there was natural selection.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just to be clear, the issue isn't a matter of accommodating the needs, desires, or aspirations of individuals, but considering humanity as a whole. Is there something inherently valuable in the nature of humanity that makes it worth preserving in the face of possible extinction? Where would the loss lie if humanity as a whole went extinct?
You're right. Screw humanity. The evil outweighs the good in our species, so just end it.