• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The implications of God's existence or lack thereof

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Absolutely not. No thinking atheist or agnostic believes the big bang happened for no reason. Their position is simply one of; we don't know the reason. Ignorance is not denial.

I did not mean scientific reason.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The implications are, eternal life vs. Nothing at all to look forward to.

A Vestigial Mote

I don't understand this position. You can look forward to the continuation of the human race as long as you are able to look forward to it... even if there is no afterlife. You can know you made an impact here on Earth in the lives of the people you impacted, and look forward to their honoring you in their memories... even if there is no afterlife. You can look forward to your offspring (if you were lucky enough to be graced with any) living out their lives using the lessons and guidance you gave them... even if there is no afterlife.

Just remember that you, specifically, do not need to be present on Earth (or anywhere else) in order for the rest of the universe to continue on. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Listening to non believers wax on and on about God is such a waste of time!! They just don't get it.

Works both ways.

And i think what you mean is

"wax on and on about lack of evidence for god"

ChristineM

Premium Member
Because they don't concentrate on espousing what they know, they concentrate on espousing what they don't know.

Don't know much about atheism do you?

I know for example that in about 4000 years of Abrahamic god worship, literally billions of believers have failed to provide any evidence of a god.

In the meantime, you think you know based on indoctrination without evidence.

ChristineM

Premium Member
This has nothing to do with the OPs inquiry on the influence of God on our lives, God provides stability, wisdom, and morality to his followers, if they attempt to follow God's directions. IMHO

I have no belief in woo but i am stable, wise and at least as moral as you.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Not so. I know for example that my constituent atoms will last as long as this universe and may even go towards building other life or helping a sun shine brightly.

There is no opinion in that, just fact

osgart

I don't understand this position. You can look forward to the continuation of the human race as long as you are able to look forward to it... even if there is no afterlife. You can know you made an impact here on Earth in the lives of the people you impacted, and look forward to their honoring you in their memories... even if there is no afterlife. You can look forward to your offspring (if you were lucky enough to be graced with any) living out their lives using the lessons and guidance you gave them... even if there is no afterlife.

Just remember that you, specifically, do not need to be present on Earth (or anywhere else) in order for the rest of the universe to continue on. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The universe will someday end, but i agree that life is important for as long as life exists. I cherish life.

osgart

Not so. I know for example that my constituent atoms will last as long as this universe and may even go towards building other life or helping a sun shine brightly.

There is no opinion in that, just fact

Or sit dormant in dark isolation, or fade to nothing. Who knows for sure the fate of atoms?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Or sit dormant in dark isolation, or fade to nothing. Who knows for sure the fate of atoms?

This has been known since 1784, The Conservation of Mass/Energy.

Could be that some of my atoms wind up lining some dank and dismal cave, the atoms won't mind but I'm content that i may help build a world.

Ultimately if the universe lasts that long it will encounter heat death in which each individual photon is so far from any other and moving at such a speed that no other photon will ever be visible to any other photon. Such isolation encompasses every particle of matter and energy in this universe so i won't be alone (yes that's the ultimate pun)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
A definition others assign to the Big Bang. ;)

Actually even the Big Bang may not be necessary. There are a number of alternative explanations for the origin of our universe.

Many believers appeal to evidence that a 'Source' some call God(s) exists, but there is no objective verifiable evidence for God, especially for any one of the many exclusive conflicting claims to 'know' God. The natural nature of our physical existence is actually indifferent human beliefs and arguments for the existence of God(s).

I believe in God, and the only coherent belief is a universal 'Source' that is undefinable by human efforts. nor the images and doctrines of many diverse conflicting belief systems over the millennia. The different ancient religions that argue from their own perspective to be the only one view of the 'Source' regardless of whether it is described to exist in one form of another is not a rational perspective, nor coherent if God is a universal 'Source.' If God is an arbitrary God preferring one culture or ethnic group in ancient history, well ah . . . not likely.

I acknowledge the possibility of the metaphysical naturalist perspective, but for the reasons of the greater dimension of the spiritual nature of humanity and Creation I believe in a Universal God.

sealchan

I am new to this forum. I came here about 10 days ago. This will be the first thread I post.

I notice that people talk a lot about religion but I have not seen many threads about God. I belong to a religion but I am more interested in discussing God and all the implications of God’s existence or lack thereof, than in discussing religions and their beliefs and doctrines.

What are the implications of God's existence or lack thereof? Why does it matter if we believe in God?

According to my religion we were created to know and worship God. I sure do not know the inner thoughts and feelings of anyone except myself and those closest to me who have shared those, but as I look around in American society it sure does not seem as if most people are very focused on God. Rather, the focus seems to be on the material world and personal happiness. This bothers me a lot, maybe more than it should, but I feel very much alone because I have no interest in those things anymore.

I have been a member of my religion for 47 years but I have either ignored God or was angry at God for most of that time. I rarely participated in any religious activities, although I tried to follow the teachings and laws of my religion. Then about five years ago I came to a turning point. I decided I needed to do something about my lack of relationship with God and I also decided I wanted to try to do something with my religion. So I embarked upon a journey to learn what I had never known about my religion when I first joined. I have learned so much, mostly by posting on various forums and responding to questions posed to me which required I do a lot of reading and explaining.

Concurrently, I have been trying to figure out what to do about my personal relationship with God, or should I say a lack thereof. This continues to be a matter of great concern, especially how to worship God, which to me means loving God.

It has now been five years since I started what I consider a spiritual journey, and my whole perspective on life has changed as a result of putting my entire focus on my religion and God. Although I know I am a lot happier now than ever before in my life, I have mixed feelings about this because I feel very much alone on this journey of mine. Moreover, sometimes I question what I am doing when I look around and see other people involved in the material world, and they seem so happy with the things they enjoy.

I have spiritual happiness but my material life is a constant struggle, partly because many material world duties have not been tended to as I feel they should be since there are only so many hours in a day. But which is more important, God or the material world? According to my religion, “the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion.” Gleanings, p. 328 I truly believe that and that is how I got myself on this spiritual journey. Now I cannot seem to get my old life back, but why would I want to?

It sounds to me like you are pursuing a spiritual path and it is not allowing you to maintain, as much as you would like, your material path. If that is so then you might need to allow yourself the opportunity to find the spiritual within the material. You can engage with any aspect of reality with a spiritual attitude.

As for myself I am attempting to simplify my life in terms of material possessions. Have you looked at the simplicity movement to help you find an agreeable balance in this area?

Also what would you say are your spiritual tools that you can use to deal with life's aspects? For me I have Bible study, dream interpretation, music, movies, reading in various subjects, my marriage, etc...

God, for me, chose me and I realized that I had to acknowledge and cultivate a relationship with Him/Her/It. I have found some objective demonstration of the psychological reality of God in the pattern of dreams and visions people have had about God that loosely but significantly correlates with the experience that Abram/Abraham is described as having in the Book of Genesis. What experiences of God have you had?