• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The implications of God's existence or lack thereof

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am new to this forum. I came here about 10 days ago. This will be the first thread I post.

I notice that people talk a lot about religion but I have not seen many threads about God. I belong to a religion but I am more interested in discussing God and all the implications of God’s existence or lack thereof, than in discussing religions and their beliefs and doctrines.

What are the implications of God's existence or lack thereof? Why does it matter if we believe in God?

According to my religion we were created to know and worship God. I sure do not know the inner thoughts and feelings of anyone except myself and those closest to me who have shared those, but as I look around in American society it sure does not seem as if most people are very focused on God. Rather, the focus seems to be on the material world and personal happiness. This bothers me a lot, maybe more than it should, but I feel very much alone because I have no interest in those things anymore.

I have been a member of my religion for 47 years but I have either ignored God or was angry at God for most of that time. I rarely participated in any religious activities, although I tried to follow the teachings and laws of my religion. Then about five years ago I came to a turning point. I decided I needed to do something about my lack of relationship with God and I also decided I wanted to try to do something with my religion. So I embarked upon a journey to learn what I had never known about my religion when I first joined. I have learned so much, mostly by posting on various forums and responding to questions posed to me which required I do a lot of reading and explaining.

Concurrently, I have been trying to figure out what to do about my personal relationship with God, or should I say a lack thereof. This continues to be a matter of great concern, especially how to worship God, which to me means loving God.

It has now been five years since I started what I consider a spiritual journey, and my whole perspective on life has changed as a result of putting my entire focus on my religion and God. Although I know I am a lot happier now than ever before in my life, I have mixed feelings about this because I feel very much alone on this journey of mine. Moreover, sometimes I question what I am doing when I look around and see other people involved in the material world, and they seem so happy with the things they enjoy.

I have spiritual happiness but my material life is a constant struggle, partly because many material world duties have not been tended to as I feel they should be since there are only so many hours in a day. But which is more important, God or the material world? According to my religion, “the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion.” Gleanings, p. 328 I truly believe that and that is how I got myself on this spiritual journey. Now I cannot seem to get my old life back, but why would I want to?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are the implications of God's existence or lack thereof? Why does it matter if we believe in God?

How do you feel about ignosticism and apatheism, which turn out to be stances I take part in?

Far as I can tell, attempts at using the god-concept a lot end up causing a lot more of confusion and misunderstanding that clarification, because "God" can mean such wildly diverging things for different people or even at different times.

Belief, however, has significance, and brings with it considerable responsibility. While many people seem to think of it as a refuge of sorts, I think that is a very ill fit for the actual duties that it brings.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter, unless you buy into any of the reasons that have been concocted to believe in it.

According to my religion we were created to know and worship God.
Don't know what religion this is, but these two reasons do bring a couple of thoughts to mind.

1. Why would the creator, I assume god, care that you know him? What is to be gained by creating creatures to know you?

2. Why does this god need to be worshiped. Psychologically, this isn't a healthy need: "I need creatures to worship me."​

I sure do not know the inner thoughts and feelings of anyone except myself and those closest to me who have shared those, but as I look around in American society it sure does not seem as if most people are very focused on God. Rather, the focus seems to be on the material world and personal happiness.
Don't know what your focusing on god consists of, but what is gained by doing so?

I have spiritual happiness but my material life is a constant struggle, partly because many material world duties have not been tended to as I feel they should be since there are only so many hours in a day. But which is more important, God or the material world?
Is the time you spend on god actually cutting into your "many material world duties," or are you using the attention you give to god as a scapegoat to avoid attending to your worldly needs?

According to my religion, “the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion.” Gleanings, p. 328 I truly believe that and that is how I got myself on this spiritual journey. Now I cannot seem to get my old life back, but why would I want to?
Only you can answer your wants.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am new to this forum. I came here about 10 days ago. This will be the first thread I post.

I notice that people talk a lot about religion but I have not seen many threads about God. I belong to a religion but I am more interested in discussing God and all the implications of God’s existence or lack thereof, than in discussing religions and their beliefs and doctrines.

According to my religion we were created to know and worship God. I sure do not know the inner thoughts and feelings of anyone except myself and those closest to me who have shared those, but as I look around in American society it sure does not seem as if most people are very focused on God. Rather, the focus seems to be on the material world and personal happiness. This bothers me a lot, maybe more than it should, but I feel very much alone because I have no interest in those things anymore.

I have been a member of my religion for 47 years but I have either ignored God or was angry at God for most of that time. I rarely participated in any religious activities, although I tried to follow the teachings and laws of my religion. Then about five years ago I came to a turning point. I decided I needed to do something about my lack of relationship with God and I also decided I wanted to try to do something with my religion. So I embarked upon a journey to learn what I had never known about my religion when I first joined. I have learned so much, mostly by posting on various forums and responding to questions posed to me which required I do a lot of reading and explaining.

Concurrently, I have been trying to figure out what to do about my personal relationship with God, or should I say a lack thereof. This continues to be a matter of great concern, especially how to worship God, which to me means loving God.

It has now been five years since I started what I consider a spiritual journey, and my whole perspective on life has changed as a result of putting my entire focus on my religion and God. Although I know I am a lot happier now than ever before in my life, I have mixed feelings about this because I feel very much alone on this journey of mine. Moreover, sometimes I question what I am doing when I look around and see other people involved in the material world, and they seem so happy with the things they enjoy.

I have spiritual happiness but my material life is a constant struggle, partly because many material world duties have not been tended to as I feel they should be since there are only so many hours in a day. But which is more important, God or the material world? According to my religion, “the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion.” Gleanings, p. 328 I truly believe that and that is how I got myself on this spiritual journey. Now I cannot seem to get my old life back, but why would I want to?

Welcome to RF and thank you for raising the question of God in our lives.

I listened to a debate recently between Richard Dawkins and atheist and John Lennox a Christian.

I was struck by how much I could learn from the insights of both atheists and Christians.

My own personal journey is having grown up with Christianity and agnosticism, I became a Baha'i after a 5 year search at age 26. That was nearly 28 years ago. During that time I expored Buddhism and Hinduism as well as the Christain Faith.

In regards my spiritual life the practices are simple. A short obligatory prayer recited once a day, reciting from sacred writings morning and evening, saying the greatest name of God, studying the writings of my religion and trying each day to put it into practice, sharing the little I know with others, and assisting in the life of my community through my work, family, and faith community.

Great to have you here.:)

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Listening to non believers wax on and on about God is such a waste of time!! They just don't get it.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Because they don't concentrate on espousing what they know, they concentrate on espousing what they don't know.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Because they don't concentrate on espousing what they know, they concentrate on espousing what they don't know.
In that case we are talking about ego and arrogance rather than selflesness and humility. Are they not conditions applicable to us all? When we imagine that one individual or group is more prone to egotism than ourselves, we ourselves become afflicted.

Lyndon

Premium Member
This has nothing to do with the OPs inquiry on the influence of God on our lives, God provides stability, wisdom, and morality to his followers, if they attempt to follow God's directions. IMHO

Curious George

Veteran Member

I would be very happy to engage in such a discussion. We will first have to define god/God/gods to examine the hypothetical consequences that a belief or lack thereof entails.

I am happy to use my definition, but would prefer if we worked with the same definition. So if you would like to suggest one, I will give you that opportunity. Otherwise, I can suggest my definition and we can work from there.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would be very happy to engage in such a discussion. We will first have to define god/God/gods to examine the hypothetical consequences that a belief or lack thereof entails.

I am happy to use my definition, but would prefer if we worked with the same definition. So if you would like to suggest one, I will give you that opportunity. Otherwise, I can suggest my definition and we can work from there.

First definition everyone can agree on - God is a three letter word.

Second definition - The 'Source' of all of existence some call God(s). Most Theists and Deists would agree.

Jumi

What are the implications of God's existence or lack thereof?
Quite a complex question that probably depends on "what is God" and if your God is same as mine.

Why does it matter if we believe in God?
Belief alone is not much. It doesn't get one to heaven. It's very human.

You'd be surprised that theists and atheists often feel the same as you do, but use different words for it. It would be accurate to say this is something more felt by introverts.

Do good, meditate, pray. It's better than rituals.

Balance is not easy to achieve. Back when I was an atheist I had a hobby that took maybe 8+ hours of my daily time, felt like everything else was a distraction and people were complaining about my use of time. I ended up dumping the hobby and being a bit happier already.

Aiviu

If you found eternal life and knowing how you will transfer into, you know the implacation of Gods existence already.

The lack of God is our Will to find him. Minds are unaware if God already exists to them. Who will seek for something they havn't lost? Or, who will see God's importance if God's presence wasnt able to withdraw God from them?

Believe matters because its the hope to find God (again). Every scripture, are more or less, a framework to find God. We humans are gifted to think of something which isnt here. E.g.: If love is truth only can be found out from the beloved. But how do they know there are be loved if it hasnt been taken away?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It doesn't matter when you really think about things. Belief and its implications are just that. It really doesn't alter the timeline or the universe and the way it works. Things go as they go.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If you found eternal life and knowing how you will transfer into, you know the implication of Gods existence already.

A little different perspective; I do not believe we 'find' eternal life nor God, and it is difficult to 'know' the implications from the fallible human perspective.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This to me is a key focus. To me all religions are like the cover of a book. Some book covers are beautiful and some stained with offal. God is the heart of everything.

About abuse - there's part of a prayer I like "Dear Lord, please don't be indifferent to me" because it expresses the idea that the opposite of worship is not abuse but indifference. Because both worship and abuse are thinking about God. Indifference is not thinking about God. Or the reverse from God being mindful of us as the prayer puts it.

But which is more important, God or the material world?

My ideal which I'm far from is to love God through my every act in the material world. And I believe I can do that whenever I bring joy to someone, add a bit of beauty in the world or remove some ugliness and so forth. And to me, grand gestures are not important - even a smile for a checkout clerk is an act of worship because God can be found in the human heart, in a dog, in a plant or even in a rock.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What is a God? I think it is a concept of the ideal entity. The perfect being whatever form that happens to take for a person.

It is the entity that we wish we were. Not being able ourselves to achieve this ideal level of perfection we create an being separate from ourselves to embody this concept of perfection.

Maybe atheism initially rejects specific concepts of this ideal entity. Someone else create this ideal concept for you. You come to realize that their ideal is not matching with your ideal.

At some point maybe letting go of the image of an ideal self. accepting yourself. Accepting whatever self image you possess as all that you need to be. No longer feeling a need to create a God to look up to/admire/worship.

Maybe the spiritual path is a journey taken to learn how to accept yourself as you are. First learning all of these ideas about yourself are not you, or insignificant at best. Getting to know who you really are, whoever that might be and accepting the flaws are not really flaws. They are what makes you unique and that's ok, it's perfectly fine to be unique.