• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The French are Seriously Not Into a Late Retirement

linwood

I haven`t seen anything on this forum about the New Revolution in France.

What kind of opinions do we have here on this subject?

The French Unions and students are rioting/protesting by the millions over Sarkozy`s raising the retirement age for pensions and there`s barely a blip on American mainstream media about it.

They`re damn near to shutting down travel into and out of the country, no fuel available and Sarkozy has told some workers to get back on the job or face jail.

Any posters here from France that can give their POV on this?

French strikes force petrol stations to shut

Riot Police Clash with Students as Petrol Runs Dry

Oil Workers Defy Government Demand to Open Depots

Truckers Join In

Roads Blocked

Bridgette Bardot Challenges Sarkozy for Presidency

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One thing was pointed out on the national news here: unemployment in the country is very high, so for a lot of people, this change isn't so much "early retirement" as it is waiting two more years than they planned before they get the regular income they were counting on.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been reading about it in the foreign papers (online). Those French, it's always something. Doesn't take much more than a stray cat to get them out in the streets protesting.

Seriously, though. The French have this peculiar idea that the government exists to promote the health, happiness and general welfare of the citizens. An idea like this, were it to be leaked by the American press, could only stir up trouble.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The French have this peculiar idea that the government exists to promote the health, happiness and general welfare of the citizens. An idea like this, were it to be leaked by the American press, could only stir up trouble.
A country must be very careful just how they promote "health, happiness and general welfare", lest it have
the unintended consequence of causing a sense of entitlement, sloth & smug cheese eating surrenderness.
We've seen the French way of doing things.....please don't give Obama more ideas.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Seriously, though. The French have this peculiar idea that the government exists to promote the health, happiness and general welfare of the citizens. An idea like this, were it to be leaked by the American press, could only stir up trouble.

The French are impossible! You would think any country that had the peculiar idea their government exists to promote health, happiness, and the general welfare of its citizens would also have the decency to have a third world lifestyle. But not the French! They are ranked high across the board. You simply cannot trust them!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A country must be very careful just how they promote "health, happiness and general welfare", lest it have
the unintended consequence of causing a sense of entitlement, sloth & smug cheese eating surrenderness.
We've seen the French way of doing things.....please don't give Obama more ideas.

Are you seriously suggesting that we Americans do as good a job as we could do promoting the health, happiness and general welfare of our citizens? If so, you really buy into the ruling class propaganda, don't you? There's a word for that. It's called, "gullible".

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The French are exceedingly civilised.
They do not sit on their hands when they see injustice.
They see the Government and civil service as their subordinates and servants.

They are also past masters of compromise, and common sense solutions.

They will find a way out of the present financial situation rather quicker than most other nations including the USA. Their ways of using strikes and protests have always shortened the entire process of decision making.

We all have a lot to learn about practical politics from the French.

The French work to have a good life.
Many other peoples Live to work.

Last edited:

linwood

The main thought in my mind the past week watching this and comparing it to past social upheaval in France is that it is the US citizens who are the surrender monkeys when it comes to taking **** from our government in comparison.
We`re too medicated by the ******** we`re fed to put down our McNuggets and get our fat ***** off the couch to even speak out for what`s good for us.

I honestly can`t think of many Americans who would have the balls to endanger their jobs and face possible jail time to make a statement like this let alone have the solidarity to make it with millions in the streets.

Could you elaborate?
I`m enjoying the French way of doing things in this instance and wondering why my own countrymen don`t seem to have close to the same courage or intelligence.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The French are exceedingly civilised.
They do not sit on their hands when they see injustice.
They see the Government and civil service as their subordinates and servants.

They are also past masters of compromise, and common sense solutions.

They will find a way out of the present financial situation rather quicker than most other nations including the USA. Their ways of using strikes and protests have always shortened the entire process of decision making.

We all have a lot to learn about practical politics from the French.

The French work to have a good life.
Many other peoples Live to work.

You hit the nail on the head Terry,i worked in France and have been many times,i admire their way of life,especially in more rural areas.

Unlike many other countries the French don't take crap from their Government so none of this is a surprise.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Not surprised about this. Was seeing today that even with the problems to transport effecting people all over the country 70% of the population support the Unions. Will be interesting to see who gives in first.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I haven't kept up too much with this, but I agree with the sentiment of "Good for them". It is definitely true that they work to live rather than live to work, and that's one thing I love about them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you seriously suggesting that we Americans do as good a job as we could do promoting the health, happiness and general welfare of our citizens?
I suggested nothing of the sort. Where on Earth did you read that?

If so, you really buy into the ruling class propaganda, don't you? There's a word for that. It's called, "gullible".
Ironic.

Could you elaborate?
I`m enjoying the French way of doing things in this instance and wondering why my own countrymen don`t seem to have close to the same courage or intelligence.
I actually considered elaborating on how I see France wrestling poorly with the problem of generous benefits in a
declining economy & the consequent cultural changes, but the thread's tone is humorless & angry....so I'll pass.
Tis a good day to go do some groundskeeping instead.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Good for them.
I wish we stood up for ourselves in this country instead of being mugged and rolled over by politicians and bankers.