• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Oil should never be used as energy.
In the long term it will remain the main raw material of chemicals and plastics.

There are very few countries that could not provide all their energy needs, from renewables using already known technologies. These will undoubtedly improve and be expanded. they are already the main source of industrial growth in the world. They are also the main area for new employment and new technology.

"American industry" is more interested in making money at the lowest cost. than investing in the future.
It cares little about the environment.
or the future of its people.
It is happy to export its jobs
and let its infrastructure decline.
It does not care where it earns its money provided the return is maximised.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Oil should never be used as energy.
In the long term it will remain the main raw material of chemicals and plastics.

There are very few countries that could not provide all their energy needs, from renewables using already known technologies. These will undoubtedly improve and be expanded. they are already the main source of industrial growth in the world. They are also the main area for new employment and new technology.

"American industry" is more interested in making money at the lowest cost. than investing in the future.
It cares little about the environment.
or the future of its people.
It is happy to export its jobs
and let its infrastructure decline.
It does not care where it earns its money provided the return is maximised.
Please do not slap 'American' on it. Industry currently is something that thrives on scale. Its like fire and has to be carefully fed or it gets out of control

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Please do not slap 'American' on it. Industry currently is something that thrives on scale. Its like fire and has to be carefully fed or it gets out of control

What I wrote applies to America in spades. And is already well out of control.
However many others are going the same route.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
like deforestation of equilateral territories.......for grazing land......for cows

and the top soil is thin......
it washes away in the next two monsoon seasons

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
like deforestation of equilateral territories.......for grazing land......for cows

and the top soil is thin......
it washes away in the next two monsoon seasons
Oh, you mean near the Earth's equator.
What I wrote applies to America in spades. And is already well out of control.
However many others are going the same route.
I like to think that manufacturing is about to return to the home. Most things can be produced by homeowners using automation if they have a good system to start with and some training, a recipe book and a set of equipment. This is the only remedy I can envision for the industrial problem.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
All such conspiracy theories are bunk.
The proof?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then they could make money off of it.
Not convinced?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then other companies & countries could do it to.
Certainly, Big Oil couldn't prevent such innovation in China, Russia, S Korea, N Korea, India, etc, etc.
I've heard the same thing about auto companies.
But when I worked for GM, & my relatives worked for Ford, we never heard of any withheld technologies.
Although.....there were some really bad ideas we didn't pursue.

I have a member of the family working with Ford in Detroit, lots of focus on reducing weight, aluminum/plastic body and parts etc, to comply with regulations- for a flimsier vehicle- all to make the winters less balmy here in MI?!
I used to insist on buying cars built in this state- but they already got this downsizing figured out in S Korea and the cars look the same Oh well - I still have my Tecumseh lawnmower!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have a member of the family working with Ford in Detroit, lots of focus on reducing weight, aluminum/plastic body and parts etc, to comply with regulations- for a flimsier vehicle- all to make the winters less balmy here in MI?!
At least trucks are getting heavier duty.
I notice this because newer ones can handle heavier snowplows.
Ford's aluminum body is the future.
Ditch the dead weight!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
At least trucks are getting heavier duty.
I notice this because newer ones can handle heavier snowplows.
Ford's aluminum body is the future.
Ditch the dead weight!

Well yeah, I like the new styling on the Ford trucks too- though I still go with tractor/snowblower up here, unlike you soft southern Michiganders!

I'm still skeptical on the aluminum, a little dead weight can come in handy at crunch time

and not writing off stainless steel either!

2017 DeLorean Pre-Order Interest Application
http://www.delorean.com/pre-order-form.php
2017 DeLorean Pre-Order Interest Application. We are now accepting applications from those with an interest in being placed on a reservation list to purchase ...

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Whatever .. the point is that it's finite .. unfortunately we can't stop world war III
Eventually, I believe that mankind will go back to living a relatively simple life .. even the internet will grind to a halt, or at least slow down .. without energy, it can't function .. energy will be precious

Me and you share very similar opinions about man's fate. I await the return of the sword.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well yeah, I like the new styling on the Ford trucks too- though I still go with tractor/snowblower up here, unlike you soft southern Michiganders!

I'm still skeptical on the aluminum, a little dead weight can come in handy at crunch time
You don't need weight nearly as much as controlled crush depth of structure.
Besides, weight should be in payload.
I carry a ton just in tools.
and not writing off stainless steel either!
Good choice for fasteners, but not for a body.
A stainless frame would be cool.
2017 DeLorean Pre-Order Interest Application
http://www.delorean.com/pre-order-form.php
2017 DeLorean Pre-Order Interest Application. We are now accepting applications from those with an interest in being placed on a reservation list to purchase ...
williestractor_transimage.png

A Vestigial Mote

I've always liked the idea of using orbiting solar panels to gather energy from the Sun then have it beamed down to receiving stations on the ground.
This sounds like it needs to involve teleportation of electricity... I don't believe we have this technology at the moment.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How environmentally hazardous do our current drilling sites and methods have to become before it's generally agreed we should consider switching to alternative energy sources?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
How environmentally hazardous do our current drilling sites and methods have to become before it's generally agreed we should consider switching to alternative energy sources?
Most countries agree that time was passed some time ago. Including the gulf oil states., who are ivesting heavily in renewables.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
If this helps you sleep at night then keep on keeping on :)-

Just an unambiguous observation.

It was imminent when I was at school in the 70's, now there is a global glut. I think we have plenty real problems to loose sleep over, like energy poverty deaths, people dying of cold in developed countries from the huge added cost of energy caused by 'green' subsidies

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Just an unambiguous observation.

It was imminent when I was at school in the 70's, now there is a global glut. I think we have plenty real problems to loose sleep over, like energy poverty deaths, people dying of cold in developed countries from the huge added cost of energy caused by 'green' subsidies

Say what? Energy bills and the cost of living were ridiculously extortionate long before green subsidies showed up.