• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I've read conspiracy theories that Big Oil has halted some science that might have succeeded in
replacing fossil fuel vehicles.
Currently electric looks promising.

james dixon

Premium Member
There are real short term alternatives out there. The US and other countries have or are on the way to developing an atomic bomb. We need to dismantle all of our atomic bombs and use this energy to run atomic electric generators to power our needs.

In the long run Ethanol and atomic energy will provide all the energy we need for the foreseeable future

Ethanol /ˈɛθənɒl/ (EtOH), also commonly called alcohol, ethyl alcohol, and drinking alcohol, is the principal type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, produced by the fermentation of sugars by yeasts. It is a neurotoxic,[14][15]psychoactive drug, and one of the oldest recreational drugs. It can cause alcohol intoxication when consumed in sufficient quantity.

Ethanol is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid with a slight chemical odor. It is used as an antiseptic, a solvent, afuel, and due to its low freezing point, the active fluid in many alcohol thermometers. The molecule is a simple one, being an ethyl group linked to a hydroxyl group. Its structural formula, CH
3CH
2OH, is often abbreviated as C
2H
5OH,C
2H
6O or EtOH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

I’ll drink to that :)-

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The amount of oil reserves keeps changing based on technological improvements. It's not mainly about the absolute amount of oil in the Earth; it's about the amount of oil that's economically sensible to get. And certain types of oil and gas have become easier to get thanks to new approaches, like fracking and mining oil sands.

We already have other technologies with pros and cons like solar, wind, dams, tidal, geothermal, biofuels, nuclear, etc. As oil becomes harder and harder to get, the price will go up eventually and those other alternatives become more and more economically superior, especially as they continue to improve and their price per watt continues to fall. Subsidies on these cleaner fuels or carbon taxes to adjust the real cost of dirtier fuels, could accelerate that process by weighing their economic and social benefits more appropriately.

Climate change and environmental damage are more immediate threats, though. The amount of carbon dioxide in the air, the amount of ocean acidification occurring, the amount of mercury in the oceans from coal, etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've read conspiracy theories that Big Oil has halted some science that might have succeeded in
What's going to be used to power the electric plants?

For me it's steam.

But what's going to be used to generate the steam?

Darn.

Eh. Geothermal.

Everyone lives underground from now on.

Climate controlled heaven for a fraction of the cost admist other benefits. Like if you love in tornado or hurricane country. You'll never lose your home.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Invest in calamine lotion. Hit the jackpot!
And.....
shopping

I use it.
It's great!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Whatever .. the point is that it's finite .. unfortunately we can't stop world war III
Eventually, I believe that mankind will go back to living a relatively simple life .. even the internet will grind to a halt, or at least slow down .. without energy, it can't function .. energy will be precious
won't happen

when the oil goes, the mass transit that feeds the grocery store will stop
the next price gouge will be seeds
and the territory to grow them

and your neighbor will raid your garden in the night

james dixon

Premium Member
Heads up~~ 10% of the gasoline you use today is “Ethanol”

Again, I’ll drink to that :)-

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
won't happen

when the oil goes, the mass transit that feeds the grocery store will stop
the next price gouge will be seeds
and the territory to grow them

and your neighbor will raid your garden in the night
Veggie futures.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All such conspiracy theories are bunk.
The proof?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then they could make money off of it.
Not convinced?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then other companies & countries could do it to.
Certainly, Big Oil couldn't prevent such innovation in China, Russia, S Korea, N Korea, India, etc, etc.
I've heard the same thing about auto companies.
But when I worked for GM, & my relatives worked for Ford, we never heard of any withheld technologies.
Although.....there were some really bad ideas we didn't pursue.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
All such conspiracy theories are bunk.
The proof?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then they could make money off of it.
Not convinced?
If any one of them invented something more efficient, then other companies & countries could do it to.
Certainly, Big Oil couldn't prevent such innovation in China, Russia, S Korea, N Korea, India, etc, etc.
I've heard the same thing about auto companies.
But when I worked for GM, & my relatives worked for Ford, we never heard of any withheld technologies.
Although.....there were some really bad ideas we didn't pursue.
years ago I read a letter to the editor of a car magazine

that guy wanted to know what happened to the carburetors he saw on tour at a foundry
the tour leader claimed the carbs could get 32miles to the gallon

the tour happened during the depression

the carbs disappeared

I suspect oil companies bought the patents

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
years ago I read a letter to the editor of a car magazine

that guy wanted to know what happened to the carburetors he saw on tour at a foundry
the tour leader claimed the carbs could get 32miles to the gallon

the tour happened during the depression

the carbs disappeared

I suspect oil companies bought the patents
If there were patents, then there'd be a public record of them.
Have you searched for them?
No?
People love conspiracies.
They can blame a faceless boogeyman.

It reminds me of the conspiracy against the carburetor which allows a car to burn water.
Anyone with a basic science education could see right thru this one.
But true believers say that science is a conspiracy too.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If there were patents, then there'd be a public record of them.
Have you searched for them?
No?
People love conspiracies.
They can blame a faceless boogeyman.
I think the letter to the editor was honest

perhaps my speculation of patent is too much

maybe the carbs 'just disappeared'

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the letter to the editor was honest

perhaps my speculation of patent is too much

maybe the carbs 'just disappeared'
A lot of people are honest.
And a lot of people are dumb as a box of rocks.

As I recall, some people could do better than 30 MPG back in the 30s.
But engines were small, & speeds were slow.
And this would only be on good roads.

If Big Oil really wanted to squelch devices which improved fuel economy, then they'd have stopped.....
- The Diesel engine
- The compression ignition Otto cycle engine
- Fuel injection
- Electronic controls
- CVT transmissions
- Variable displacement

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A lot of people are honest.
And a lot of people are dumb as a box of rocks.

As I recall, some people could do better than 30 MPG back in the 30s.
But engines were small, & speeds were slow.
And this would only be on good roads.

If Big Oil really wanted to squelch devices which improved fuel economy, then they'd have stopped.....
- The Diesel engine
- The compression ignition Otto cycle engine
- Fuel injection
- Electronic controls
- CVT transmissions
- Variable displacement
I heard the experiment came in an Olds.....
but it ran bad an stuck even worse

oh....maybe that was the catalytic converter!

james dixon

Premium Member
Behold the future~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: This is not ad AD or advertisement. It is just to show the trend towards "electric"

Volkswagen
MSRP:
From $28,995
Range: 83 mi battery-only
Battery charge time: 20h at 110V, 3.7h at 220V, 0.5h at 440V
Horsepower: 115 hp
MPGe: 126 city / 105 highway

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Chevrolet offers a variety of electric and hybrid vehicles that put gas stations in your rear view. The all-electric 2017 Bolt EV† takes electric vehicles to a whole new level with impressive range. The 2017 Volt offers the best of both worlds with an electric charge that seamlessly switches to a gasoline-powered generator when your charge runs out. And the 2017 Malibu Hybrid offers efficiency that you never

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Going electric doesn’t mean sacrificing performance. In fact, it means the opposite. Unlike gas cars, electric cars deliver power to your wheels instantly, with no lag time, as soon as you step on the pedal. The result is greater torque and acceleration.

Engineered with Mercedes-Benz, every smart must meet the strongest industry standards. The patented Tridion Safety Cell uses reinforced high-strength steel to act as a barrier between you and anything else on the road.

The Audi A3 e-tron is the first of what will likely be many Audi plug-in hybrid models to hit the United States in the coming years. The German luxury maker has been saying for the last several years that it plans to bring plug-in hybrid variants to all of its major vehicle lines, and we’ve since seen previews of several of those models. Audi recently projected that plug-ins will account for 25 percent of global sales by 2025, and in Europe, the A3 e-tron is already a mild hit—accounting for more than twice as many sales as the BMW i3 last year.

Wwwwwwwwww

Chevrolet offers a variety of electric and hybrid vehicles that put gas stations in your rear view. The all-electric 2017 Bolt EV† takes electric vehicles to a whole new level with impressive range. The 2017 Volt offers the best of both worlds with an electric charge that seamlessly switches to a gasoline-powered generator when your charge runs out. And the 2017 Malibu Hybrid offers efficiency that you never

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Going electric doesn’t mean sacrificing performance. In fact, it means the opposite. Unlike gas cars, electric cars deliver power to your wheels instantly, with no lag time, as soon as you step on the pedal. The result is greater torque and acceleration.

Engineered with Mercedes-Benz, every smart must meet the strongest industry standards. The patented Tridion Safety Cell uses reinforced high-strength steel to act as a barrier between you and anything else on the road.

Plus, an Electronic Stability Program

The Audi A3 e-tron is the first of what will likely be many Audi plug-in hybrid models to hit the United States in the coming years. The German luxury maker has been saying for the last several years that it plans to bring plug-in hybrid variants to all of its major vehicle lines, and we’ve since seen previews of several of those models. Audi recently projected that plug-ins will account for 25 percent of global sales by 2025, and in Europe, the A3 e-tron is already a mild hit—accounting for more than twice as many sales as the BMW i3 last year.

They see the future and are "making" what's needed. High density batteries is the key to our future

Thief

Rogue Theologian
electrics?.....recharged by coal driven power plants?

have you heard of breeder reactors?