• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

james dixon

Premium Member
Energy information Administration Official Energy Statistics from the US government
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/forecasting.html

The above report indicates that the US will be using primarily oil as our main energy source through 2030.

The world's total declared reserves are 1,317,400,000,000 barrels (January 2007).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves

World oil consumption 2005 is 80,290,000 barrels per day or 29,305,850,000 per year

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

Dividing annual consumption into total reserves gives us 44.9 years of oil supply at the current consumption rate.

That was eleven (11)years ago, we are not changing your habits and this spells doom for us all.

Do you have any suggestions--?

Libya will be an interesting place to watch.

• Libya’s current production rate is 1.8 million barrels of oil a day
  • At that rate Libya will exhaust all its reserves within 63 years
  • Existing oil fields undergoing a 7–8% decline rate
They have highways and freeways and use cars and trucks just like the rest of us do. But up until now gas was pretty much free. If there is going to be a drive to manufacture electric and hybrid cars for local consumption now is the time for Libya to use its cash reserves and invest in local production of the next generation power systems. At least in the US we have the cash and will to build a new future for America and the people are willing to do their part too. Anyway I hope people are trying to think this through? So far I have read some great posts from others in this forum and they have been great reading.

Thank you all for participating in this discussion—

james dixon

Premium Member
Energy information Administration Official Energy Statistics from the US government

The above report indicates that the US will be using primarily oil as our main energy source through 2030.

The world's total declared reserves are 1,317,400,000,000 barrels (January 2007).

World oil consumption 2005 is 80,290,000 barrels per day or 29,305,850,000 per year

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

Dividing annual consumption into total reserves gives us 44.9 years of oil supply at the current consumption rate.

That was eleven (11)years ago, we are not changing your habits and this spells doom for us all.

They have highways and freeways and use cars and trucks just like the rest of us do. But up until now gas was pretty much free. If there is going to be a drive to manufacture electric and hybrid cars for local consumption now is the time for Libya to use its cash reserves and invest in local production of the next generation power systems. At least in the US we have the cash and will to build a new future for America and the people are willing to do their part too. Anyway I hope people are trying to think this through? So far I have read some great posts from others in this forum and they have been great reading.

There's much more untapped oil waiting to be extracted. It's no mystery as to where the problems lay and who the obstructionists are.

Sadly reality speaks for itself. There have been no “new” oil fields since the report below was published.

But is you can find some new discoveries; please post them here to balance out the scale

james dixon

Premium Member
search.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

james dixon

Premium Member
2016 article..

The above added 264 billion barrels

264 billion=264,000,000,000,000

264,000,000,000/1,317,400,000,000 = an oil find that adds 0.2003947% to the known reserves.
Ok, you are right, instead of 44 years left we have 52.8 years left.

thanks for the update
:)-

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

Ok, you are right, instead of 44 years left we have 52.8 years left.
Whatever .. the point is that it's finite .. unfortunately we can't stop world war III
Eventually, I believe that mankind will go back to living a relatively simple life .. even the internet will grind to a halt, or at least slow down .. without energy, it can't function .. energy will be precious

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not against finding alternatives. I think geothermal and solar has potential with some more work and sweat.

Even water if the process of electrolysis could be made safer on a larger scale, as Hydrogen seems promising as mentioned by Quagmire.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

33 years left?

That's interesting, 30 years ago when I was at school, we only had 15 years left! How many 'experts' predicted the global glut of oil we have now?!

The miracles fuels of the future are oil, gas and coal. The only shortages ever faced were 100% political in nature, 0% geological. I don't see this changing.

The market for battery operated cars peaked over 100 years ago before the superior technology of combustion engines made them redundant. The technological gap has been widening ever since.

Many golf courses that used to use electric carts for convenient starting, have gone to gasoline engines now we have electronic ignition instead of fickle carbs.

If electric cars can't compete here, even with massive subsidies... I don't see much of a viable future

muhammad_isa

The miracles fuels of the future are oil, gas and coal. The only shortages ever faced were 100% political in nature, 0% geological. I don't see this changing.
These fossil fuels are finite .. naturally there are political difficulties, and as they became more scarce will become more intense. It doesn't matter which way you see it, the result is the same .. CHAOS!

Why?
Some people are reasonable, and are willing to make changes to their lives and accept a drop in their living standards, but many people are prepared to do ANYTHING to continue with their life-styles .. simply, they are very selfish and deny reality

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't give pre fracking/pre oil shale mining predictions much credence. There's still oil down there but it's getting more difficult and more environmentally hazardous to extract.
Meanwhile, solar and wind energy are now commercially viable in many regions, despite massive lobbying against them by the established energy industries.

But Global warming is another factor to consider. A century from now we might be back to a few hunting-gathering tribes burning wood.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
These fossil fuels are finite .. naturally there are political difficulties, and as they became more scarce will become more intense. It doesn't matter which way you see it, the result is the same .. CHAOS!

Why?
Some people are reasonable, and are willing to make changes to their lives and accept a drop in their living standards, but many people are prepared to do ANYTHING to continue with their life-styles .. simply, they are very selfish and deny reality

It's about accepting a drop in your lifestyle, to pay for the rise in the lifestyle of others, - same old same old.. this has been going on since the dawn of civilization

taking 'sacrifices' of wealth from the gullible to appease nature- there is nothing scientific about this.

You really think Al Gore has taken a drop in his lifestyle !!??? Or anyone else sharing in the trillions of taxpayer dollars confiscated from those who earned it, in the name of global warming?

Parsimony

I've always liked the idea of using orbiting solar panels to gather energy from the Sun then have it beamed down to receiving stations on the ground.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I wouldn't give pre fracking/pre oil shale mining predictions much credence. There's still oil down there but it's getting more difficult and more environmentally hazardous to extract.
Meanwhile, solar and wind energy are now commercially viable in many regions, despite massive lobbying against them by the established energy industries.

But Global warming is another factor to consider. A century from now we might be back to a few hunting-gathering tribes burning wood.

commercially viable?? great, so we can take away the vast subsidies now then? :)

around where I live nobody used to burn wood. They used clean burning propane and I never had to wash a window.

Until outdoor wood burning furnace systems became heavily subsidized as 'renewable energy' and suddenly there are a lot more chainsaws, vanishing trees and layers of soot on everything.

most political environmentalism promotes a giant leap backwards in technology and standards of living in practical reality

Last edited:

Akivah

Whatever .. the point is that it's finite .. unfortunately we can't stop world war III
Eventually, I believe that mankind will go back to living a relatively simple life .. even the internet will grind to a halt, or at least slow down .. without energy, it can't function .. energy will be precious

I think we will go to less efficient and dirtier energy sources, like coal. Or maybe nuclear will lose its stigma.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've always liked the idea of using orbiting solar panels to gather energy from the Sun then have it beamed down to receiving stations on the ground.
Didn't one of those almost kill James Bond in Die Another Day?
Sounds like dangerous, expensive, easily damaged technology that would wildly accelerate global warming.

MD

qualiaphile
There's enough coal to last hundreds of years, not to mention all that methane trapped in the permafrost. Fossil fuels will not run out for a long time, the key is to get off them before we destroy ourselves.