• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

Wirey

Fartist
Well I figured those reading what I wrote might not understand torque, but they have heard about horsepower so I included both of them. You do realize that when you are up in the mountains hunting or fishing and you pulled your trailer up there and planing on staying for 5-6 days and using the vehicle every day there is no place to charge you damn batteries. We all don't live in the city.
Where are you going to put the batteries for this electric engine. You do know that there are those of us that use a truck as a truck.

Oil man speaking here, oil man for a long time, oil man in management. So pay attention:

Oil. Is. Dead. Dead as a doornail. Saying things like "I want my pickup truck so you all better get used to it," is arguably the most anti-American thing I have ever heard, and here's why:

India to sell only electric cars by 2030

Volvo's Electric Future

China Is About to Bury Elon Musk in Batteries

See, here's the thing. The Chinese and Indians and Europeans aren't stupid. The live in places that have already been turning into environmental nightmares for a while. The people in these terrifically crowded places are completely aware that if they all get a car, today, the pollution will do this:

upload_2017-9-11_14-58-21.jpeg

That's Harbin, a Chinese city that has become so polluted without cars that they kill a couple hundred people a day with smog when it gets bad. So, the governments in China, and India, and Europe have assisted industry in getting a jump on the electric car - solar power - battery technology thing, while American and Canadian governments listen to self-involved genius' who can't imagine buying a girly hybrid or (Heaven forfend) an electric vehicle that might actually do the job just as well, or better. Guess why steam locomotives disappeared and diesel-electric hybrids (that's what they are) took over. More efficient and stronger. A 40 HP electric motor has more torque than a Chev 350. You can stall a gas engine pretty easy under load, but a DC series motor will twist the shaft off and keep turning. Electric is far more powerful and far more efficient. Gas power is for wimps who are afraid of manly torque!

Right now the scale of development in the crucial areas of batteries and solar power is closable. We can catch these guys and keep ruling the planet. But if we give them another ten years we will fall so far behind in the race that the best we could hope for is that my grandkids will be making shirts and digital cameras so rich Chinese people can buy them cheap at ChangMart. So before you say "I like my pickup truck and the spread of communism," ask yourself, is failing to adapt worth watching America become the new Malaysia to you?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well I figured those reading what I wrote might not understand torque, but they have heard about horsepower so I included both of them. You do realize that when you are up in the mountains hunting or fishing and you pulled your trailer up there and planing on staying for 5-6 days and using the vehicle every day there is no place to charge you damn batteries. We all don't live in the city.
Where are you going to put the batteries for this electric engine. You do know that there are those of us that use a truck as a truck.
Well now you're making sense. There are pluses and minuses for both alternatives, and a concentrated, lightweight, easily transported fuel source could definitely be an advantage in such a situation.
That said, in most situations, an electric truck might be a good alternative to your wheeled pack mule.

Oil man speaking here, oil man for a long time, oil man in management. So pay attention:

Oil. Is. Dead. Dead as a doornail. Saying things like "I want my pickup truck so you all better get used to it," is arguable the most anti-American thing I have ever heard, and here's why:

India to sell only electric cars by 2030

Volvo's Electric Future

China Is About to Bury Elon Musk in Batteries
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-28/china-is-about-to-bury-elon-musk-in-batteries
Looks like China's planning to ditch gas and Diesel entirely:
China wants to ban gas and diesel cars

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I hope we'll switch to renewable, green, safe energy fast enough but I wonder if it's going to be able to sustain our high energy lifestyles? I heard contradictory stuff and some say we'd need to be more modest about how much we consume, as a whole - we're too consumerist and throw away stuff ridiculously, and some say we can power a high tech society with it. I don't know what to think about that, but either way climate change is to me a priority over having a ridiculous lifestyle.

esmith

Veteran Member
That said, in most situations, an electric truck might be a good alternative to your wheeled pack mule.
Well, if you need a 4x4 "Truck" with say a 3,160 lb max payload towing up 17,980 lbs let's look at our current electric contenders.
W-15 Pickup | Workhorse doesn't even come close
The Bollinger B1 is an all-electric truck with 360 horsepower and up to 200 miles of range just what ever wannabe needs. Not even a truck that will probably never get off the pavement.

Now let's look at the big guys...your semi
Tesla Semi | Electrek 200-300 mile range

Now the real deal is the electric hydrogen powered semi
Nikola Motor Company | Premium Electric Vehicles 800-1200 mile range

However for us that use a small truck 2500-3500 there is no other choice than diesel or gas and until technology can solve the problem and the public wants it gas and diesel is the only choice at the present time

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know what to think about that, but either way climate change is to me a priority over having a ridiculous lifestyle.
And what's interesting as well is that if we successfully deal with climate change, we have other spin-off advantages, such as less pollution, conserving what fossil fuels we have left, eventual lower costs to consumers, etc. There's really no advantage to just consume, consume, consume as if there's no tomorrow.

james dixon

Premium Member
The manufactures manufacture and sell the vehicles that the majority of the public wants, not what the minority of the public want.
From the below link, take a look at the top selling vehicles in the US
and then tell me that the American public wants to end the manufacture of gas and diesel vehicles.
The 20 best-selling cars and trucks in America

The OP stated that we will consume all the oil within 44 years "at the current consumption rate". Having said that it stands to reason that the public will continue to use gasoline & diesel for some time to come BUT the transition needs to start now which is exactly what the Chinese are doing right now.

just my opinion based on currents facts :)-

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Alternative fuels or sources MUST perform on par or better than present day fossil fuel drivin machinery and vehicles.

Money will certainly dictate whether we abandon fossil fuels or not.