• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Electoral College Resolution

Goddess Kit

With the election still underway, my blood is pumping erratically.

One concern I have always had is that with the EC there is always a clear bias. Never has it elected a Democrat against the Republican popular vote. Now that states something.

Well, thankfully, something is being done about it.

It is called Status of National Popular Vote Bill in Each State (National Popular Vote Interstate Compact).

Check to see if your state has passed the bill yet. If not, do something about it, make certain it happens. This is how we fight against conservatives who do not play fair.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

One concern I have always had is that with the EC there is always a clear bias. Never has it elected a Democrat against the Republican popular vote. Now that states something.

It is called Status of National Popular Vote Bill in Each State (National Popular Vote Interstate Compact).

Check to see if your state has passed the bill yet. If not, do something about it, make certain it happens. This is how we fight against conservatives who do not play fair.

I'm fine with the electoral college, we need electoral process reform. We need to limit the amount of money they can spend and time they can run ads to limit the lobbying. We need make it easier for other parties to be involved in the process. We need to have term limits on congress so that new people more aligned with the voters can be elected.

Changing the process from electoral to popular just changes which states are important to win. Whenever the population speaks loud enough the popular vote wins what you have right now is country divided. 3 millions votes is only .9% of the population so 99.1% of the County likes Trump and the Republican Party.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

What do you mean by that?

At this point, no one seems to be able to control what happens, so all this tension and anticipation can be a bit stressful, like gambling or something, so for all those who might be feeling a little troubled by these sorts of things, please know and remember, you can't control any of what is happening right now for this portion I think, and its probably best (if one finds it distressing at all), to turn off all the media regarding this or that, and just relax for a few days.

It is more than likely that even after the results are announced, there will be a lot of chaos and dispute and delays and even more tension and anticipation, so one (who is distressed by such and feels crazy and bad about it all), should probably let it go for a long while until finally everything is smooth or they hear the sirens.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm fine with the electoral college, we need electoral process reform. We need to limit the amount of money they can spend and time they can run ads to limit the lobbying. We need make it easier for other parties to be involved in the process. We need to have term limits on congress so that new people more aligned with the voters can be elected.

Changing the process from electoral to popular just changes which states are important to win. Whenever the population speaks loud enough the popular vote wins what you have right now is country divided. 3 millions votes is only .9% of the population so 99.1% of the County likes Trump and the Republican Party.

Getting rid of the electoral college makes it so that one does not need to try to "win" a state. One only needs to convince the majority of the U.S..

From my point of view there is one good thing about the electoral college. If one lives in a very blue or very red state one is spared endless campaign adds for the Presidency. It is almost as if no one is running for President.

Goddess Kit

From my point of view there is one good thing about the electoral college. If one lives in a very blue or very red state one is spared endless campaign adds for the Presidency. It is almost as if no one is running for President.

That doesn't sound good to me. Not that bombarding them with presidential advertisements are going to change their minds either. However, that brings up a good thing to tackle next: negative advertisements. No more attacking one's opponent on the platform of fake news.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That doesn't sound good to me. Not that bombarding them with presidential advertisements are going to change their minds either. However, that brings up a good thing to tackle next: negative advertisements. No more attacking one's opponent on the platform of fake news.

I am all for the National Popular Vote, even if it means excessive political ads. But it is all but impossible to make such ads illegal. It is sad but true. The good news is that false attacks are quickly refuted these days. Using such late election attacks used to be common from both parties. These days false ads are refuted almost immediately.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Um. I think you should check your math there.

But also, with a popular vote states are irrelevant. That’s the whole point. Addresses should not matter, people should. One person, one vote. We do this for every other election at every other level. Why should the presidential election be any different?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I see the bias as mostly pro-rural.
That Pubs are better at courting such votes than are Dems
is a matter for the parties to address. It's also about giving
individual states more power because each can throw all
their EC votes behind a single candidate. This is a bias
towards a republic structure.
Btw, Republicans do more so see us as a republic more than
do Democrats, who tend towards federalizing all things.

Why do Dems want to ditch the EC?
Because they want a pro-urban bias, & less
state power because this favors them.

Which is right? I dunno. It's personal preference.
I prefer ranked choice popular voting for simplicity
& fairness. But beware....we'd still elect losers.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I feel this is a good time to remind everyone: The Republicans have had popular support for President once since 1992. They have won three elections regardless. It is well past time that votes actually count, 1 for 1. I can see why Republicans dig their heels in here, they realize that if it was a 1 to 1 vote, they would have been voted into obscurity years ago.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Screw that. That bill is useless anyways as that requires a constitutional convention to change it.

ABA Legal Fact Check: Can the Electoral College be abolished?

But then again thats not how the Reds work who live their lives to screw the Constitution any chance they get.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Screw that. That bill is likely useless anyways as that requires a constitutional convention to change it.

But then again thats not how the Reds work.
No, it really does not. And it is not a purely Democratic idea. Though it is the Republicans that seem to be afraid of a fair and honest election.

Do you want to know how it would work? It does work within the limits set forth by the Constitution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, it really does not. And it is not a purely Democratic idea. Though it is the Republicans that seem to be afraid of a fair and honest election.

Do you want to know how it would work? It does work within the limits set forth by the Constitution.
Apparently you don't recognize the American Bar Association. I put in a link to back it up.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

You might want to reconsider that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Apparently you don't recognize the American Bar Association. I put in a link to back it up.
I am quite familiar with the ABA, and your post tells us that you do not understand this proposal. It would not "abolish the Electoral College". The EC would still exist. What it does is to regulate where the votes go of states that agree to this. It is a neat work around. It is not permanent since states could opt out. Though not at the last minute. What you would need to do is to show how the ABA claims that this work around is unconstitutional, and they do not seem to have done so yet.

Daemon Sophic

Thank you for the link. I’d only heard of this on Tuesday, and it sounds wonderful!

Currently I live in New York State, and we have this as law. :D

Term limits are warranted at just about every position.
But your math in the last paragraph is off.
0.9% would mean that 50.45% of the people prefer Biden, while 49.55% prefer Trump.

However, that would only be true if every man, woman, and child could (and did) vote.
As of right now, roughly 145 million people have voted, and an extra 3.7 million of them prefer Biden. That’s roughly 2.5% more favor Biden....
a.k.a. - Biden 51.25% vs Trump 48.75%. And if the electoral college gets to veto the people’s choice once again, (for the third time in twenty years), you can understand that We the People will be furious at being thrown aside. :mad:
Enough is enough. One person, one vote.