• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Earth is growing

Panda

42?
Premium Member
There is no mass increase because the planet is hollow. The crust, which was very thick, thins as the outer crust expands.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That is the hardest I have laughed in a very long time.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The Earth weighs about [SIZE=-1]6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons....
an additional 50,000 is nothing at that rate it would take far longer than the 4.6 billion years to form Earth. (120,000,000,000,000,000,000 years actually)

gotta' love crazy big numbers. :jiggy:

wa:do
[/SIZE]

Heneni

Miss Independent
I stand to be corrected but scientist have not actually been able to determine what exactly the core of the earth looks like or what is in it.

And secondly...if the earth is growing in size then it would make sense that the bible says:

8Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains AND

22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

If the world is having birth pains...maybe then her tummy has been growing?:shrug:

Last edited:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I stand to be corrected but scientist have not actually been able to determine what exactly the core of the earth looks like or what is in it.
The core is composed of Iron and Nickel, it is solid at the centre but the solid part is surrounded by a layer of flowing liquid iron and nickel that, by its constant movement, generates the protective magnetic field that surrounds the Earth.

Heneni

Miss Independent
The core is composed of Iron and Nickel, it is solid at the centre but the solid part is surrounded by a layer of flowing liquid iron and nickel that, by its constant movement, generates the protective magnetic field that surrounds the Earth.

Of course the core consists of iron and nickel...though we havent been able to go deep into the core to verify that in the inner core those things are the ONLY things there.

How far into the earths core have we actually been able to go? Scientist have not according to my knowledge been able to study the core of the earth extensively for the reason that they cant really get there. Or they have limited technology to study it extensively.

It could be that there are not only magnetic material and convection currents of hot materials in there.

Heneni

Miss Independent
We can use seismic waves to identify minerals.. each one reflects sound waves in unique ways. By looking at how these waves bounce around from earthquakes and other events to determine the nature of the earths core.

Seismic Waves
Earth's Interior

Yes but it only gives an indication of what is in there...it doesnt tell you where and what the inside looks like, it only gives an indication of what is in there.

By the way...are there any gasses in the core of the earth?

heneni

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes but it only gives an indication of what is in there...it doesnt tell you where and what the inside looks like, it only gives an indication of what is in there.

By the way...are there any gasses in the core of the earth?

heneni
What is the significance of knowing what molten iron and nickel looks like? Isn't it enough to know that they are there?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Actually the waves give us a 3D picture of the core.

Discovery Of Earth's Inner, Innermost Core Confirmed

Most gasses are at high pressure in the crust/mantle and are released during volcanic activity. (Gasses are returned to the mix through subduction.)
The core is at such high pressure that any gasses were long squeezed out into outer layers.

That 3D picture was rather dissapointing. I was expecting something a little more detailed.

No i dont think we have a very good idea of what the inner part of our earth looks like. Maybe we know what is in there, but we dont exactly know its structure, besides of course...the inner core is there and the outer core is there...but what is new? Maybe the iron crystolites...and what else?

Gasses under high pressure....is squeezed out by volcanic activity....well that we know already as well, though im not sure that the amount of volcanic activity is directly proportional to the amount of gasses in the core.

Also, if the percentage of metal in the core is increasing then the earth could be expading, because all hot metals expand when they are hot. Otherwise the earth could be expanding because there are gasses being trapped in there. Or the percentage of metal in the core is not significantly increasing, but the temperature in the core is significantly increasing,therefor the core is buldging out. Could also be that because there isnt so many volcanic eruptions pressure is building up in the core which in turn, makes the temperature rise, and if the temperature rises the metals in the core buldge out.

But what i do find most interestig is that the bible says that the earth is similar to something that is 'pregnant'. And tummies grow and expand.

Science is fun.

heneni

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
That 3D picture was rather dissapointing. I was expecting something a little more detailed.
That is just a press release picture, cleaned up and simplified for the public. You want the detailed images you'll have to read the scientific paper.

No i dont think we have a very good idea of what the inner part of our earth looks like. Maybe we know what is in there, but we dont exactly know its structure, besides of course...the inner core is there and the outer core is there...but what is new? Maybe the iron crystolites...and what else?
Iron (molten and crystaline), Nickle and small amounts of other elements such as Uranium.
We can see the shape, number and movement of the iron crystals. That means we know what the inner core looks like. We know its shape and composition.

Gasses under high pressure....is squeezed out by volcanic activity....well that we know already as well, though im not sure that the amount of volcanic activity is directly proportional to the amount of gasses in the core.
Volcanic activity is proportional to the movement of the crust and mantle. The only thing the core contributes is some convection and the heat to keep the mantle gooey.
And 4 billion years is plenty of time for the gasses (what little would have been there) to have been sequestered into the mantle and crust. Heavy things sink and light things rise to the surface.

Also, if the percentage of metal in the core is increasing then the earth could be expading, because all hot metals expand when they are hot.
The percentage of metal in the core is unchanged. It can't spontaneously generate after all.

Otherwise the earth could be expanding because there are gasses being trapped in there.
We would see gas pockets, they are not there. Iron crystals are there however.

Or the percentage of metal in the core is not significantly increasing, but the temperature in the core is significantly increasing,therefor the core is buldging out.
We would be able to detect such a change. There isn't one, indeed the core is cooling slowly.

Could also be that because there isnt so many volcanic eruptions pressure is building up in the core which in turn, makes the temperature rise, and if the temperature rises the metals in the core buldge out.
The amount of volcanic activity is unchanged. As the tectonic plates move the locations change but not the amount. A fact that Iceland and Hawaii are both benefactors of.

But what i do find most interestig is that the bible says that the earth is similar to something that is 'pregnant'. And tummies grow and expand.
I must have missed this part... I've heard it described as something with four corners and pillars but not pregnant.

Science is fun.
Yes, it is. :D