• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Welcome there, diemjay!

I didn't go to Church this morning, I'm feeling kinda bad about that. I woke up this morning stiff and sore and looked outside... at the blizzard. Trudging through a block of snow to the bus stop wasn't a good choice this morning! :( I wish I could have a car here for days like this.

lunamoth

Will to love
jamaesi said:
Welcome there, diemjay!

I didn't go to Church this morning, I'm feeling kinda bad about that. I woke up this morning stiff and sore and looked outside... at the blizzard. Trudging through a block of snow to the bus stop wasn't a good choice this morning! :( I wish I could have a car here for days like this.

Good morning from another one kept home from church by snow. :) We were only supposed to get a few inches, but it's been coming down steady all morning, and I live at the top of a biiiiiig hill. I've got four-wheel drive, but I just don't want to risk going out in this with my two little girls.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
It didn't start snowing here until I was on my way home from church yesterday. It was more of a teaser than a real snow. Then the ice started.

lunamoth

Will to love
It stopped snowing here yesterday evening...after we got about a foot of new snow on top of the two we still had. This morning the sun is out and it is gorgeous, but school is delayed an hour. My girls and dog are out playing in it now. :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
School was delayed here this morning for 2 hours, mostly because of the ice, I suppose. I live on a main road, and it was fine but I can imagine some of the country roads were still iced over.

Stairs In My House

I am protected.
It was probably the best choice, jamaesi. They had just started to plow the parking lot when we got there (after most everyone had already parked) and the sidewalks were really slippery, having been packed down by feet before they could be shoveled. Walking to and from the bus stop would have been pretty treacherous.

It was nice watching the snowflakes through the front windows during the service, though. :)

robtex

Veteran Member
I haven't been to church in a while. I work on Sundays and on the few Sundays I get off each quater ( 1 or sometimes two sundays) I go to the atheist community of austin breakfest. However, I spent alot of time this year talking to hindus buddhists and muslims who have immgrated to Austin. Austin has a very pluralistic culture to it. In January so far I have listen to my turkish friend talk about Islam in Turkey and about Turkish culuture and my Shri Lankan friend talk about buddhism in his country and about Shri Lanka in general. With Islam, the country from which it is practiced has a huge impact on how the religion is percieved and preformed. My Iranian's friends islam is completely different (except for the koran) from my Turkish friends. Also, my Shri Lankan friend's interpretation of buddhism is really different than the chinese and japanese guys interepretation of it from college. My Shri Lankan friend is much more literal in his understanding of buddhism.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I just wanted to say I met Stairs in person today and he is just awesomecakes!

Can't wait for Church next week. :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
robtex said:
Also, my Shri Lankan friend's interpretation of buddhism is really different than the chinese and japanese guys interepretation of it from college. My Shri Lankan friend is much more literal in his understanding of buddhism.
Hi Robtex, :)

Sri Lankans are Theravada whereas Chinese and Japanese are Mahayana.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
I just wanted to say I met Stairs in person today and he is just awesomecakes!

Can't wait for Church next week. :D
Stairs In My House said:
Just for the record, jamaesi is much cooler than I am. :)
Man, I am so envious of you both! :p

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Man, I am so envious of you both! :p

I'm planning on maybe going to DC again this summer, if I do we should meet up! DC is one of my favourite places, there's so much to do and see. I'd love to visit your church sometime, it sounds like a cool cool place. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
I'm planning on maybe going to DC again this summer, if I do we should meet up! DC is one of my favourite places, there's so much to do and see. I'd love to visit your church sometime, it sounds like a cool cool place. :)
:clap2: Oh yes do come and visit! Yay!

diemjay

It was six men of Indostan,
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approach'd the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, -"Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear,
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approach'd the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," -quoth he- "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee:
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," -quoth he,-
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said- "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Then, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," -quoth he,- "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL,

So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean;
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

By John Godfrey Saxe

http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/..._elephant.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant

uumckk16

Hey all! I apologize, I've basically been neglecting RF for the past month; my life has been rather crazy and I haven't had much spare time. Thought I'd drop by quickly though :)

To the new members - welcome! Awesome to have you.

About the snow, it's beautiful, isn't it? Bummer when it keeps you home from church, but I do love snow. I'm a Vermont girl at heart, what can I say.

Hope everyone is having a nice, warm winter filled with plenty of joy and coffee!

:hug:

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Do you drink any store bought coffee, like Foldgers or Maxwell house? I bought some ground dark roast Starbucks coffee from the store and it smells like a port-a-potty in the bag. Fortunately it doesn't smell like that after it's brewed. Is that normal? What kind of coffee do you all drink?
:coffee:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I drink Equal Exchange fair trade coffee at home as that is all I buy, (I get it from church). But if I'm at someone's house or at a restauranr I will drink whatever they offer if I want coffee.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Kungfuzed said:
Do you drink any store bought coffee, like Foldgers or Maxwell house? I bought some ground dark roast Starbucks coffee from the store and it smells like a port-a-potty in the bag. Fortunately it doesn't smell like that after it's brewed. Is that normal? What kind of coffee do you all drink?
:coffee:
Sweets, I was amused that you came to the UUs to talk about coffee until I remembered the name of this thread. It is an inside joke (or maybe not so inside) that UUs love their coffee.

Starbucks already has a tendency to "over"-roast their coffee so I imagine that anything they call a dark roast would be very earthy.

A lot of UUs that I know only drink fair trade. I drink what's available, and I'm not above drinking Folgers instant if that's what's available. I have some Equal Exchange fair trade at home, because my UU church sells it too (like Maize's). It's ok. I also have Peet's Major Dickason's blend because I'm a California girl and that's what I love. It smells like heaven! (But if Starbucks is too dark for you, you might not like Peet's either.)