• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
As tough as it is and as uncomfortable as I and my wife may be at events like that Maize, I find that for me, it's most important to just be polite and let it go. A far as potential battlefields go, those situations have the odds stacked heavily against you. In addition, the religion involved in settings like weddings or christenings is often just window-dressing, and not worth rebuttal.

The fight for equal marriage belongs in the civil arena. You did the right thing. :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I've thought about this some more, and the crux of my problem is that I really need to be able to talk to my family about some sensitive issues. It never seems to be an appropriate time to do so because the only time I see them now is for family events such as weddings, holidays, graduations, times that the focus is not me and my issues, nor should it be. This is just a very frustrating thing for me and I'm trying to work out a better approach to it.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
I've thought about this some more, and the crux of my problem is that I really need to be able to talk to my family about some sensitive issues. It never seems to be an appropriate time to do so because the only time I see them now is for family events such as weddings, holidays, graduations, times that the focus is not me and my issues, nor should it be. This is just a very frustrating thing for me and I'm trying to work out a better approach to it.
Not that I was of any help to you before but for what it's worth I think you're right.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Not that I was of any help to you before but for what it's worth I think you're right.

You are always a help to me. :hug:

Sometimes I just need to spout and know that someone is listening. Thank you (to all) for listening, it is invaluable to me and I hope that I able to be some service to each of you as well.

Group hug!! (but put down the coffee first!)

:group:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Speaking of which, last Thursday I managed to miss two meetings at church even tho I was physically in the church. That has got to be a record, no? The whole week had been stressful and by Thursday afternoon my brain was completely fried. I went into to church to get a book that I needed for class on friday, and ran into people with whom I was supposed to be meeting, one of whom gently reminded me that I had missed the 6pm meeting; and I spent 20 minutes lamenting that while in fact I was at that moment missing the 7pm meeting, while the people at that meeting, having seen me in the building, assumed that I was there for that purpose but held up; and then I left, completely oblivious. My brain just erased that part of my schedule.

So... long story short is that I'm cutting back on my committee commitments because work and school are taking their toll, and it's better to do a few things well than a lot of things really poorly. :eek:

Ouch. I'm sorry that happened. :hug: I haven't had anything like that happen yet, but I do know I have a hard time saying no to people, especially at church. Partly because I really do want to help with all the things they ask of me, it's all things that are important to me too. But like you said, it's better to do a few things well than a lot of things badly. I need to watch this too because I could very easily get myself into the doing a lot of things really badly catagory. Maybe we can work on this together. :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Is your church interested in buying "Stand on the Side of Love" tshirts from the UUA? I'm in charge of selling them. :eek:

PM me some information about it and if we don't have it in the budget, I'll buy them myself.

uumckk16

I hope everything works out for you, Amy. Sounds like you're in a tough position with your family right now :( Wish I could help...

Maize said:
Group hug!! (but put down the coffee first!)

:group:
:group: :hug:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Maize, I hope everything works out for you with finances and school (and talkng to your family, I know how unpleasant that can get on certain topics...). :hug:

I'm in the "holy crap how am I going to pay for school!" stage right now, too, and I can't work (I can hardly sit through a class because of my health- I can't do the class and class work and then a job- if I could even find a job I could do...) so that's making me stressed. I'm applying for disability in December, I really hope I get it without having to go to court and appealing for it because that would help so so so much with tutition.

I went to the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Columbus today. It was really lovely and everyone there was so welcoming and nice- especially when I told them my religion, that's something I'm not really used to getting support for! I'm planning on going back every Sunday and maybe joining. I'll be in Columbus for at least the next five years and it's great to have a place to go. :D

It was nice to see such an accessible building, too! There's a room with sofas where you can see and hear the service in comfort... sitting in a harder chair for more than half an hour is terrible on my back.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Thanks Maesi, I've been doing fine, it's just took a little adjusting on my part. We keep on truckin'! :p

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the UU church you visited! That's great they have an area for folks that have a difficult time with regular hard chairs/pews. That's a great idea! Are they offering any "new to UU" classes any time soon? Those are usually really informative and a great way to meet other visitors. I would suggest trying to make one of those classes if you can.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the UU church you visited! That's great they have an area for folks that have a difficult time with regular hard chairs/pews. That's a great idea! Are they offering any "new to UU" classes any time soon? Those are usually really informative and a great way to meet other visitors. I would suggest trying to make one of those classes if you can.

Oh, I forgot the best part! At the 11 AM service they have an ASL speaker there to translate the entire thing! I was planning on extra classes in my next quarters so I can perhaps pull a minour or at least a cluster of studies in ASL and watching the translator will be a great practice (I really should have learned it before, being hard of hearing and all, but lipreading alone has gotten me this far).

I went to the meeting they have after each service for newcomers and the guy doing it told me about the Church's programs and things like that. I'll probably go to a few more after services to meet other newbies. :D

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I think this is just one of those days I need a whole pot (or two) of coffee to get me through. :|

uumckk16

jamaesi said:
Oh, I forgot the best part! At the 11 AM service they have an ASL speaker there to translate the entire thing! I was planning on extra classes in my next quarters so I can perhaps pull a minour or at least a cluster of studies in ASL and watching the translator will be a great practice (I really should have learned it before, being hard of hearing and all, but lipreading alone has gotten me this far).

I went to the meeting they have after each service for newcomers and the guy doing it told me about the Church's programs and things like that. I'll probably go to a few more after services to meet other newbies. :D
Wow, an ASL speaker for the entire service? That's incredible!

I know my congregation has at least one member who can speak (?) ASL, because she translates hymns or the covenant sometimes. But she doesn't do the entire service (though I suppose she could if it was known that there was a deaf member). I think that's great, Jamaesi :)

Was your experience this week as good?

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
Hi everyone. Just stopping in.

I'm leading another set of New to UU classes now. We have them about once a quarter for three sessions. Last time, our minister was with us, but this time, it's just me and another woman from the congregation leading the classes on our own. A bit intimidating, but fun. My wife's also on our strategic planning comittee now. Our membership is on the rise fast, and we've completely restored our very old sanctuary. Exciting times for our congregation.

Hope everyone here is well. I almost never get a chance to stop in any more, but thought I'd say hello here.

Peace,
Brandon

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Wow, an ASL speaker for the entire service? That's incredible!

I know my congregation has at least one member who can speak (?) ASL, because she translates hymns or the covenant sometimes. But she doesn't do the entire service (though I suppose she could if it was known that there was a deaf member). I think that's great, Jamaesi :)

Was your experience this week as good?

Yes, I really enjoy watching the speaker. I'm learning so much ASL from just that!

My experience this week was just as good. There's so many events that I keep stopping by to attend all through the week. :) I think I might join a group for young adults there, too!

At last week's service I started crying during one of the sermons, the speaker was talking about homosexuality and it was just so powerful to be in a room with that many people who I knew accepted me and wouldn't hurt me because of who I am. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
Yes, I really enjoy watching the speaker. I'm learning so much ASL from just that!
Kewl! My church doesn't have an ASL signer, but when I visited a neighboring congregation in Silver Spring they had one. It's one of my favorite things about UU, how we try to be attentive to people's individual needs. :)

jamaesi said:
My experience this week was just as good. There's so many events that I keep stopping by to attend all through the week. :) I think I might join a group for young adults there, too!
lol! Careful or you'll end up a churchlady just like me! I'm on hiatus at the moment, only going on Sundays, but most weeks I go to church 3-4 times.

jamaesi said:
At last week's service I started crying during one of the sermons, the speaker was talking about homosexuality and it was just so powerful to be in a room with that many people who I knew accepted me and wouldn't hurt me because of who I am. :)
Yeah, a lot of people cry in our church... for good reasons. Especially during the first year. For me, I cried when my minister named the things of which I am most afraid, my yearning for meaning in this life and my fear that I may not be contributing enough.

I keep touting the sermon below. I really think it's one of the best sermons that I've ever heard. By the Rev. Gail Geisenhainer, about her experiences as an out lesbian in her first UU congregation.

http://www.uua.org/ga/ga06/5002b.html

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
BrandonE said:
Hi everyone. Just stopping in.

I'm leading another set of New to UU classes now. We have them about once a quarter for three sessions. Last time, our minister was with us, but this time, it's just me and another woman from the congregation leading the classes on our own. A bit intimidating, but fun. My wife's also on our strategic planning comittee now. Our membership is on the rise fast, and we've completely restored our very old sanctuary. Exciting times for our congregation.

Hope everyone here is well. I almost never get a chance to stop in any more, but thought I'd say hello here.

Peace,
Brandon
Wow, it does sound so exciting! :bounce I love to hear about energy in congregations.

Brandon, I am going to be in Savannah for a conference on racial justice in February. I would love to see your historic church while we're there!

uumckk16

jamaesi said:
That's awesome! I wish I knew ASL. I can't even remember the whole alphabet :eek:

jamaesi said:
My experience this week was just as good. There's so many events that I keep stopping by to attend all through the week. I think I might join a group for young adults there, too!
That's really great that you feel so at home there. And that your church has so many events! :) What sorts of things have you been attending?

jamaesi said:
That statement makes me feel so proud to be a UU. :)