• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
lilithu said:
Sweets, I was amused that you came to the UUs to talk about coffee until I remembered the name of this thread. It is an inside joke (or maybe not so inside) that UUs love their coffee.

Starbucks already has a tendency to "over"-roast their coffee so I imagine that anything they call a dark roast would be very earthy.

A lot of UUs that I know only drink fair trade. I drink what's available, and I'm not above drinking Folgers instant if that's what's available. I have some Equal Exchange fair trade at home, because my UU church sells it too (like Maize's). It's ok. I also have Peet's Major Dickason's blend because I'm a California girl and that's what I love. It smells like heaven! (But if Starbucks is too dark for you, you might not like Peet's either.)
I've never heard of Equal Exchange coffee. Is it only sold in U of U churches? I've never heard of a church selling coffee, just books.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Kungfuzed said:
I've never heard of Equal Exchange coffee. Is it only sold in U of U churches? I've never heard of a church selling coffee, just books.
U of U? :p

They are not affiliated with UU, so far as I know. UUs just like them because they're fair trade. That is, the farmers who grow the beans are given a fair wage for their labor. Our church sells books, coffee, chocolate... sometimes jewelry. It's a good way to raise money for our social justice work (because people like to buy things) and the customers like it because it's a convenient way to buy fair trade products.

Check it out their website if you're interested (link below). I get the coffee and unsweetened cocoa powder. I don't get their chocolate bars because I don't think they taste all that great. But the unsweetened cocoa powder.... mix in your own amount of sweetener and milk (and/or coffee) and it's far tastier than anything that you can get premixed. yum.
http://www.equalexchange.com/

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
lilithu said:
Oops.:sorry1: I used to live near the University of Utah. I also have a hard time remembering if your church is called Universal Unitarians or Unitarian Universalists. :confused: Hows about the United Union of Universal Unitarianists? :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Kungfuzed said:
Oops.:sorry1:
No need to apologize. I was just ribbin ya.

Kungfuzed said:
I also have a hard time remembering if your church is called Universal Unitarians or Unitarian Universalists. :confused: Hows about the United Union of Universal Unitarianists? :D
We're Unitarian Universalists, but yes it is a hard name to remember. It's even worse because my Unitarian church is right across the street from the Unification church! (aka the moonies)

Kungfuzed said:
Hows about the United Union of Universal Unitarianists? :D
Thems fightin words! Clearly the Union of Unitarian Universalists United is the most logical name!!

(if you haven't seen the Richard Dawkins episode of South Park, that joke is not going to make any sense to you.)

diemjay

Tim Hortons & me...

CoffeeAddict.jpg

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
lilithu said:
No need to apologize. I was just ribbin ya.

We're Unitarian Universalists, but yes it is a hard name to remember. It's even worse because my Unitarian church is right across the street from the Unification church! (aka the moonies)

Thems fightin words! Clearly the Union of Unitarian Universalists United is the most logical name!!

(if you haven't seen the Richard Dawkins episode of South Park, that joke is not going to make any sense to you.)

I don't know if you're old enough to remember Monty Python's Life of Brian. The Judean People's Front vs the People's Front of Judea. I've seen the Dawkins episode of South Park as well. Science be praised!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I remembered why I love UUism so much.

I don't need to followly blindly and be force-fed crap to be accepted. If I don't toe the invisible misplaced line I don't get called a "kafir."
I'm encouraged to think.

I really can't wait for Church on Sunday. I need some peace in my life.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
I remembered why I love UUism so much.

I don't need to followly blindly and be force-fed crap to be accepted. If I don't toe the invisible misplaced line I don't get called a "kafir."
I'm encouraged to think.

I really can't wait for Church on Sunday. I need some peace in my life.
Jamaesi, what are you responding to? :confused: I hope you're ok. :hug:

Mavrikmind

I just finished reading about UU's, I'm impressed. It's not suprising but it took a long while to come across something that finally makes sense. With so many religiouns and faiths out there it takes a while to wade through everything before you get to something interesting. I don't have any UU congregations near me but maybe sometime I'll go visit one over a weekend :) it's nice to know you guys are around

Peace

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Jamaesi, what are you responding to? :confused: I hope you're ok. :hug:
I think it's just the general frustration of being a nonArab Muslim.

I've heard people say Pakistanis can't be real Muslims cause we aren't Arab more times than I want to count.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jamaesi said:
I think it's just the general frustration of being a nonArab Muslim.

I've heard people say Pakistanis can't be real Muslims cause we aren't Arab more times than I want to count.
It goes without saying that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. One of the most beautiful things about Islam, as you know, is that it teaches that all humans are equal regardless of race or ethnicity.

Sorry that you have to deal with that. Is there another Muslim community that you can find that is more diverse?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
lilithu said:
Hehehe... I just joined the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Second Life. :D
I so I logged in and visited the church today and met another person there. I figure, kewl, I'm meeting a UU from who knows where across the country or perhaps even a different country! I ask him where he's from and it turns out that we live like half an hour away from each other, lol.

Anyway... services are 6:30pm PST/ 9:30pm EST on Thursdays, if anyone is interested.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Okay, I feel like I've hijacked this thread for my own general ranting but... right now I'm just asking if everyone could just pray for me, keep me in their thoughts, light a candle, do a happy naked Pagan dance, anything. Please. I need support, I can't get through this on my own.

I think we've discovered one disease that can explain... just about everything that is wrong with me, from my back to my irregular mensutral cycles to my kidney stone to my mental health. I've spent the last day since I found out about this just... crying. I have an appointment with the Health Center on campus, hopefully on Monday- it depends on how fast they can fit me in, with an advice nurse who can send me referrals in the right directions.

I'm just so scared and so hopeful that this will be end of this medical circus that my entire life has been.

I think that what really just... really got through through to me is that if this is what this is... I could be cured. I won't be in pain all the time. I won't be in a wheelchair in a few years. I won't go from these exteme euphorias to having a panic attack from just leaving the house and missing class to lay under my bed and cry. I could have children.
I could be cured.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Jamaesi, that's wonderful! I really hope you get the answers you're looking for and can move forward. I will be thinking of you. :hug:

psst: careful with the happy naked Pagan dancing around candles.:cover: