• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
The Journey

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

© Mary Oliver. Online Source

:chalice:

May the long time sun
Shine upon you
All Love surround you
And the pure Light within you
Guide your way home

:blowkiss:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Green Gaia said:
This is not goodbye forever
Um... Amy, what does this mean? Did you change your username just to leave us? :( If RF is too much, can't you just hang out in the UU forum? :(

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Um... Amy, what does this mean? Did you change your username just to leave us? :( If RF is too much, can't you just hang out in the UU forum? :(

Because I can't just hang out in the UU forum. If there is an anti-gay post/thread somewhere else, I have to address. There are several right now that it's taking everything bit of will-power I have left to not respond to. I'm running on empty right now and instead of responding with understanding and a willing to teach, I'd be responding with bitterness and anger. There's just too much negative energy going around right now without me adding to it.

PLUS, I'm moving this week and probably won't have internet at my new house for a while, although I plan to frequent the library.

I greatly dislike the "goodbye/I'm leaving" threads that have become popular, so I won't be posting one. But I had to let you guys know that I didn't just disappear. I'll be around for another day or so tying up loose ends.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Green Gaia said:
Because I can't just hang out in the UU forum. If there is an anti-gay post/thread somewhere else, I have to address. There are several right now that it's taking everything bit of will-power I have left to not respond to. I'm running on empty right now and instead of responding with understanding and a willing to teach, I'd be responding with bitterness and anger. There's just too much negative energy going around right now without me adding to it.

PLUS, I'm moving this week and probably won't have internet at my new house for a while, although I plan to frequent the library.

I greatly dislike the "goodbye/I'm leaving" threads that have become popular, so I won't be posting one. But I had to let you guys know that I didn't just disappear. I'll be around for another day or so tying up loose ends.
Understood. Outbreaks of anti-Muslim threads have caused me to take a break twice. (Obviously I'm not Muslim but emotionally I respond to Islamophobia the same way I do racism.)

And I totally understand about not wanting to post a "goodbye" thread. And thank you for letting us UUs know.

Go take care of yourself!! We'll hold down the fort. :hug:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
We'll miss you, Amy. Come back soon!

Understood. Outbreaks of anti-Muslim threads have caused me to take a break twice. (Obviously I'm not Muslim but emotionally I respond to Islamophobia the same way I do racism.)

Me too. That's why I drop off the forum from time to time without saying anything. Just the same lies and misinformation and "why arent Muslims doing anything!?!?!?!?!!!?" over and over and over and over and over until I just want to beat my head against the monitor.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Green Gaia said:

We'll miss you, Amy! Good luck with moving!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
lilithu said:
Jamaesi, for some time now, I've been thinking of documenting some of the stories of anti-Muslim incidents that I've heard as a way to "make real" the people affected. The stories are out there - I read them in newspapers occasionally and have heard first hand some awful experiences, but so far as I know there is no place where such stories are collected with the intention to present them to a non-Muslim public. That was my thinking...and then my boss mentioned that she would like the UUA to take a more vocal stance against the Muslim-bashing. Which would just make me even prouder of the UUA if we can be another strong voice of conscience on this matter. But I don't know what is the best way for the UUA to go about this. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'll think this over and get back to you in a PM...

robtex

Veteran Member
Green Gaia said:

Because I can't just hang out in the UU forum. If there is an anti-gay post/thread somewhere else, I have to address.

I think that is such a hard thing to do to yourself. the biggest asset you bring to RF on equal protection is the dept of resources and law on the subject and it is great when you post it the least effective thing you do is spend time trying to convince inherrants that their God is wrong and you are right. Better maybe to just understand their arguements and present your resources. I think that was,in part, what Pah was trying to get across to you last year and I think he is correct on the premises he explained in the anti-gay threads he partipated in.

i am glad you found another place to live. i know how stressful home hunting is.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
robtex said:
I think that is such a hard thing to do to yourself. the biggest asset you bring to RF on equal protection is the dept of resources and law on the subject and it is great when you post it the least effective thing you do is spend time trying to convince inherrants that their God is wrong and you are right. Better maybe to just understand their arguements and present your resources. I think that was,in part, what Pah was trying to get across to you last year and I think he is correct on the premises he explained in the anti-gay threads he partipated in.
I agree with you. I just think it's a hard thing to do when one is personally affected tho. As much as I feel for the BGLT community, I know that the antagonism is not directed at me, so I can distance myself from the issue. But jeez louise, it would be extremely difficult to do when someone is saying hurtful things directed at you. And even harder to do, I think, when someone is saying these things and can't even acknowldege that they're hurtful. It's hard to be patient when your life is affected on a daily basis. I'm not even sure that patience is always the right approach.

Like I said, I agree with you Rob. I just know that it's really hard not to take it personally. A Buddhist approach helps... when you can step back and see that it's not inherent in the person but comes from the conditions that have led to the person.

uumckk16

Green Gaia said:

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Good luck with the move, Amy.

We'll miss you! :hug:

des

I agree with you'all. Right now I am also having a fit with all the anti-Muslim posts. I am also upset when I read the anti-gay stuff. The stuff anti-gay marriage, is making me stressed out. Then there are the anti-Obama posts, some of which I see as very thinly racist and/or anti-Muslim posts.

I complained about an anti-Muslim post as it was so agreggeous. However, nothing happened. I consider some of these things hate speech. I guess they are entitled to their opinions, but why back when on the internet, if you saw flaming you would say, "If you want to flame just go over to alt.flames (which was just a collection of various rants and flames)."

I was about to post something like "intolerant of intolerance". I am!

I wonder if I would have the discipline to read only this section of the forum, because I doubt I do. I might try and stay out of the debate section.
I'm not sure I even have that much discipline.
As some people do not seem to know the difference between debate and hate. (Hey it's a rhyme.)

--des

lilithu said:

And I totally understand about not wanting to post a "goodbye" thread. And thank you for letting us UUs know.

Go take care of yourself!! We'll hold down the fort. :hug:

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Just out of curiosity, if I were to walk into a UU church what would it be like? Does it look like other churches with pews and hymnals and an organ and stained glass windows? Are the hymns really slow and dry or more upbeat? Is there a choir? What are the sermons like? Are there Sunday School classes? Other classes or meetings?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Kungfuzed said:
Just out of curiosity, if I were to walk into a UU church what would it be like? Does it look like other churches with pews and hymnals and an organ and stained glass windows? Are the hymns really slow and dry or more upbeat? Is there a choir? What are the sermons like? Are there Sunday School classes? Other classes or meetings?
It would depend largely on the UU congregation that you chose to visit (not all of them are called churches).

My church has pews and and an organ, no stained glass windows. Others have stained glass windows. Others don't look like churches at all. In our church, our ministers wear robes and stoles (scared the heck out of me when I first saw it). In other congregations, the ministers wear normal clothes. And in still other congregations, there is no minister and services are put on by various members of the congregation. In my church, we have prayers and God is mentioned on a regular basis. In a few other UU churches, they're even more "Christian" and actually sing a doxology. In many UU congregations, there is no mention of God whatsoever.

But we use the same hymnal. Many/most(?) congregations have choirs. Some of our hymns are slow and dry, most are less so. Many of the traditional Christian songs have had their words changed to better reflect our theology. In my church we sing a lot of african american spirituals, which are definately more upbeat. And two weeks ago, we sang a Hindu chant. UU sermons can range from sermons to political commentary (on issues, not parties or candidates) to something more akin to dry college lectures. Usually not so much the God talk, certainly not so much on what to believe, but more on how to deal with the issues that we have today.

Yes, most UU congregations have "sunday school" classes. They're called Religious Education. In our congregation it's one third Judeo-Christian stuff, one third UU history, one third other religious traditions. We teach Judeo-Christian stuff largely because this is the society that we live in and it would be a shame for kids to be absolutely ignorant of bible stories. But they are taught as stories, as are the stories of the Buddha, etc, and the kids are never told what to believe. When our youth get to around 17, they are encouraged to define their own theology in writing and then one Sunday is set asside for them to share those ideas with the rest of the congregation. I've witnessed it twice and am amazed at how thoughtful our youth are - certainly a lot more aware of the complexities of life than I was at that age.

uumckk16

Kungfuzed said:

As lilithu pointed out, all UU churches are different. At my church we don't have pews, we have normal chairs, and I think we have an organ but we usually use a piano. We do have one stained glass window and we use the UU hymnal. I don't find any of our hymns dry, some are slow though I suppose. We have a choir. Our sermons rarely mention God (some congregations are mostly theistic, some are mostly atheistic, ours falls in the middle); they tend to be concerned with living in harmony with the world, i.e. love, forgiveness, tolerance, etc. We have nursery care for the very young, RE for 1-8 graders (maybe kindergarteners too?), and YRUU (Young Religious Unitarian Universalists) for 9-12 graders. There are other classes/meetings/groups; we have a book club, a women's rights task force, a Build Your Own Theology class, etc.

Stairs In My House

I am protected.
lilithu said:
Yes, most UU congregations have "sunday school" classes. They're called Religious Education. In our congregation it's one third Judeo-Christian stuff, one third UU history, one third other religious traditions.
Don't forget sex ed. I'd say that sets UU congregations apart from most others (except the UCC of course).

des

Yes, but consider that we are Unitarians Considering Christ. :)
I don't know if we have sex ed. at our church or not. I absolutely won't do anything with educational programs, being a teacher. It might be combined with the regular curriculum in some way. I need to do MORe education like a hole in my head. :) Maybe when I retire?

--des

Stairs In My House said:
Don't forget sex ed. I'd say that sets UU congregations apart from most others (except the UCC of course).

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Stairs In My House said:
Yes, I know there is the OWL curriculum (our whole lives) and I know my congregation does it too, but honestly I don't know how that fits into our RE schedule because it was explained to me that it was 1/3 Judeo-Christian, 1/3 other religions, and 1/3 UU. Maybe that's just for the younger kids?

As for the UCC, they are our organizational partners for S.E.A.T. (sex education advocacy training).

Stairs In My House

I am protected.
lilithu said:
Yes, I know there is the OWL curriculum (our whole lives) and I know my congregation does it too, but honestly I don't know how that fits into our RE schedule because it was explained to me that it was 1/3 Judeo-Christian, 1/3 other religions, and 1/3 UU. Maybe that's just for the younger kids?
Our church has had OWL for 8th graders and will be adding OWL for 5th graders in the fall. The OWL program actually has five age-specific curricula: Kindergarten/1st grade, 4th-6th, 7th-9th, 10th-12th, and adults. So it's conceivable that a UU church could devote a large portion of the RE program to sex ed, though obviously this depends on the church (and the availability of teachers, since there is a training/certification program involved).
As for the UCC, they are our organizational partners for S.E.A.T. (sex education advocacy training).
And OWL was developed collaboratively by the UUA and the UCC. :) There's a rather humorous Facebook group called "I Took Sex Ed at Church" with a bunch of UUs and a few UCC folks.