• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang, Evolution, Creation, Life etc.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because, change requires time. It is an action. So if God was changeless before creation, then he was atemporal, because change takes time and God was changeless.

You do realize that If A then B does not mean If B then A? If change requires time, that doesn't mean that time requires change.

How could something that never began exist in time??
If time is infinite.

Something that never changes cannot be temporal.

This seems to be more assumption.

True. We use and define words based on context.
You seem to be missing the point. You used a construction, not a word, to describe something. Someone "has been sitting in a chair for eternity." The construction, "doing X for Y" either describes duration or the reason for the action. You are using the durational sense of "eternity" (you are not talking about someone sitting in a chair on behalf of/ because of eternity). Therefore, someone has been sitting in a chair for all of time. Which means
1) you can't simply exchange "eternity" for "timelessness" here because it doesn't fit in the construction
2) Someone who sits for eternity can't stand up. Otherwise they aren't sitting for eternity.

We are talking about a word that has at least two different meanings, and I use the meaning based on which one describes the context of what the subject matter is. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, what you did was use a construction (all language/speech is composed of constructions). You used a durational construction, and the duration was eternity. Then you looked in a dictionary/wikipedia and picked another meaning which doesn't work in your construction.

We have to use a word to describe what we are talking about.
Words don't exist in isolation. What you did is the equivalent of saying "work's driving me crazy" and then going to the dictionary and saying that "driving" here refers to operating a motor vehicle.

I can use the defintion that is in line with the context. "Driving somebody crazy" is not in the context of utilizing a vehicle.
The second sentence if right, the first misses the point and is wrong. The "context" used requires a duration. "doing something for a given duration." I can talk about sitting for an hour, for a minute, for a century, for eternity, etc. It's all the same "context" because it's the same construction: doing X for Y amount of time.

Which makes it impossible to "sit for eternity" and then stand. If you stand, you didn't sit for eternity. Using a durational construction, and then going to a dictionary to find a meaning which isn't durational, is simply a misuse of language.

So, if you placed a number on each of the points, and you took away all of the even number points, and left all of the odd number points, how many points would you have of both???
Time, like the number line, is continuous. Again, there are an infinite number of points between 0 and 1. In fact, there are more points (a larger infinity) between 0 and 1 then there are rational number (a smaller infinity).

Look, an actual infinity is just a concept, it cannot exist in reality.
It does. Every moment you exist requires infinity. Given any interval of time, there are an infinite number of points.
you are left with absurdities
Like set theory and calculus.

Well, regardless of whether you want to use the word "eternal" to mean timelessness or not, the concept is the same.

I'm not the one who used the word. You used "eternal" in a durational construction. You ensured, by using it in this way, that it could not mean timelessness.

If there was never a "before" or "after", how is that duration?
An infinite interval can be a duration. If I believe that time is eternal, then I can certainly talk about something or someone doing something for eternity. If I don't, then I can't. But I can't talk about "before" time either.

The concept of duration alone requires there to be a before and after.

Not if eternal.

Because everything that begins to exist has a cause, unless one is willing to entertain the thought of things popping in to being uncaused out of nothing (shawn):D
I am willing to entertain this. I have to. Because if the universe began at some time, and time itself began then, then all of causality falls apart. Cause and effect depend on time. No time, and all conceptions of cause and effect are irrelevant. They describe a universe of linear action through time which doesn't apply.

Call_of_the_Wild

You do realize that If A then B does not mean If B then A? If change requires time, that doesn't mean that time requires change.

Time and change are dependent upon each each. The change is the passing of the state from one state to another, and time is the duration at which the change is made. You can't have one without the other.

If time is infinite.

Thats the problem, time isn't infinite.

This seems to be more assumption.

Good job of purposely ignoring the broader point. How about addressing what was said?

You seem to be missing the point. You used a construction, not a word, to describe something. Someone "has been sitting in a chair for eternity." The construction, "doing X for Y" either describes duration or the reason for the action.

Playing word games huh? "has been sitting in a chair for eternity" does not describe duration. If there was never a point at which a person began sitting, there WAS no duration leading up to that person sitting. If there was no duration leading up to that point, THERE WAS NO TIME LEADING UP TO THAT POINT. So answer this question, how could there be duration for something that never began??? Please answer this question.

You are using the durational sense of "eternity" (you are not talking about someone sitting in a chair on behalf of/ because of eternity). Therefore, someone has been sitting in a chair for all of time.

I repeat, HOW CAN THERE BE DURATION LEADING UP TO AN EVEN THAT NEVER BEGAN??? Until you can answer this question there really isn't nothing to talk about. It is important that this key be addressed.

No, what you did was use a construction (all language/speech is composed of constructions). You used a durational construction, and the duration was eternity. Then you looked in a dictionary/wikipedia and picked another meaning which doesn't work in your construction.

Are you serious??? I said that god was eternal. I also said that God was timeless. I looked up the word "eternity" and one of the definitions was "timeless", just as I said. So what the heck are you talking about? In none of my analogies, there isnt any duration used. YOU are the one that keeps assuming duration, not me. So I ask again for the third time of this post, how can there be duration leading to something that never began??? The fact that i am asking this question would suggest that you are purposely mischaracterizing what I have been saying this entire time.

Words don't exist in isolation. What you did is the equivalent of saying "work's driving me crazy" and then going to the dictionary and saying that "driving" here refers to operating a motor vehicle.

No I didnt!!! I said that God was timeless and eternal before creation, and i looked up the word "eternity" and discovered that it means "TIMELESSNESS". I am not equivocating any words here. I have been consistent with everything that I have been saying. Please do not continue to mischaracterize what i have been saying.

The second sentence if right, the first misses the point and is wrong. The "context" used requires a duration. "doing something for a given duration." I can talk about sitting for an hour, for a minute, for a century, for eternity, etc. It's all the same "context" because it's the same construction: doing X for Y amount of time.

You still dont get it do you? If you have been sitting for an hour, there was a point at which you BEGAN to sit. But if you never began to sit, there is no "before you began to sit", so if there is no "before", there can't be an "after". Now what part of this dont you understand??

Which makes it impossible to "sit for eternity" and then stand.

Please explain why is the impossible. Time began to exist. As long as this is true, there had to be an transcedent explanation of why time began to exist. So explain why it is impossible for a timeless being to sit for eternity??

If you stand, you didn't sit for eternity. Using a durational construction, and then going to a dictionary to find a meaning which isn't durational, is simply a misuse of language.

Right, if you have been sitting still for eternity, and then you begin to stand, you are no long atemporal, you have just entered in to time. Time may not be finite in the past, but it is infinite towards the future. I have never used "eternity" as duration, which is why I will ask the question a fourth time, how can there be duration leading up to an event that never began??

Time, like the number line, is continuous. Again, there are an infinite number of points between 0 and 1. In fact, there are more points (a larger infinity) between 0 and 1 then there are rational number (a smaller infinity).

You are missing the point my friend. If there is an infinite number of points between 0 and 1, and i asked you to count all of the points leading to 1, will you ever arrive at 1? No, because you have to count an infinite number of points to reach 1, so you will never get there. This is the "impossibility of traversing infinity". You will run in to the same problem with infinite time. If time is infinite, as you think, in order to reach the present moment, time had to traverse an infinite number of points to reach this one. This is impossible, for the same reason you wont ever arrive at the #1 if you counted all the points in between 0 and 1.

It does. Every moment you exist requires infinity. Given any interval of time, there are an infinite number of points.

So, how long will it take for you to count from 0 and traverse all of the points in-between 0 and 1? It doesnt matter how long you count, or how fast you count, you will never reach 1. Infinity is just a concept of the mind.

Like set theory and calculus.

Set theory and calculus are just mathematical instruments that work on paper, but when you convert the numbers from paper to reality, you will get contradictory results, which is why you will be unable to count the points in-between 0 and 1 to arrive at 1.

I'm not the one who used the word. You used "eternal" in a durational construction. You ensured, by using it in this way, that it could not mean timelessness.

Please show me where i used "eternal" in a durational construction. Please do.

An infinite interval can be a duration. If I believe that time is eternal, then I can certainly talk about something or someone doing something for eternity. If I don't, then I can't. But I can't talk about "before" time either.

Time is not infinite. This is proved in cosmology and philosophy. If time is infinite explain how can we have a "present" if time had to traverse an infinite number of points to get here. I will wait.

Not if eternal.

It isnt eternal though. The same question as above.

I am willing to entertain this. I have to. Because if the universe began at some time, and time itself began then, then all of causality falls apart. Cause and effect depend on time. No time, and all conceptions of cause and effect are irrelevant. They describe a universe of linear action through time which doesn't apply.

So where did time come from? Please answer all of my questions.

Call_of_the_Wild

I am not assuming time before time. :sarcastic
In fact, what i am saying is that you are the one considering the present as being existent before time.
I am saying it is impossible to 'sit' ( and to 'stay sitting' ) in timelessness because this action can only be performed in the present. If there is no time, there is no present. If there is no present, you can't sit.

You are assuming that causes have to precede their effect. There is a such thing as simulatenous causation. If a bowling ball has been resting on a cushion of a couch for eternity, the ball is both the cause and effect of the dent in the cushion simultaenously, without ever "beginning" to cause the dent.

gnostic

The Lost One
I have lost track of this thread.

I must say that whoever started this example of being seated for eternity to demonstrate timelessness is a lousy and flawed one.

I am guessing it is you who started this example, Call_of_the_wild, judging by your advocacy and insistence that God is timeless or outside of time. I don't think you have thought this through, because you're irrationally running in circles.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You are assuming that causes have to precede their effect. There is a such thing as simulatenous causation. If a bowling ball has been resting on a cushion of a couch for eternity, the ball is both the cause and effect of the dent in the cushion simultaenously, without ever "beginning" to cause the dent.

A bowling ball can't be resting on a cushion of a couch for eternity ( timelessness ).
The act of 'resting' requires a present to exist.
And if time doesn't exist, then present also does not.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Right, if you have been sitting still for eternity, and then you begin to stand, you are no long atemporal, you have just entered in to time.

'You have been sitting still for eternity' = 'You have been sitting still for timelessness' = 'You have been sitting still for no time' = 'You haven't been sitting still at all'

idav

Being
Premium Member
'You have been sitting still for eternity' = 'You have been sitting still for timelessness' = 'You have been sitting still for no time' = 'You haven't been sitting still at all'
Uncaused sitting requires no action. Hope that helps. :thud:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In none of my analogies, there isnt any duration used. YOU are the one that keeps assuming duration, not me.
I'm going to try and address this first, as so much depends upon you understanding me here. I'm going to be as clear as I can, so if something seems incorrect, false, wrong, or you don't understand, please be as specific as possible when saying so.

Your analogy, or example, was the following: imagine someone sitting (or who has been sitting) in a chair for eternity.

Now, why do I keep "assuming a duration" ? It's required by the linguistic construction you used. Before I say why, let me explain what I mean by construction. All languages have a "lexicon." This is a term linguists use to describe the words in the language, or the dictionary entries (I'm simplifying here, but being more accurate would require technicalities that aren't necessary and would just be confusing).

Eternity is part of the "lexicon" of English. As with all words, it is polysemous. It has more than one meaning. However, once a word is put into a clause, sentence, phrase, etc., it is subject not only to the full lexical meaning, but also to grammar. Whether one uses the word "construction" depends on one's view of language (mainstream generatic linguistics traditionally denies the existence of of constructions, while traditional grammar and more recent linguistic theory include, even depend, upon constructions). However, whether one's linguistic framework/theory is cognitive grammar (where grammar depends on, even is, constructions) or government & binding, or any other framework or theory, will not change the following:
English grammar limits the range of meaning of "eternity" in the phrase "sitting for eternity."

You use a verb, plus the preposition "for." When you do this, only certain things can follow the preposition "for" and when they do, they can only mean certain things. I cannot, for example, "sit for an upon". I cannot "sit for a to walk." I can sit for a rehearsal, I can sit for my friend, I can sit for an hour, I can sit for a while.
The meaning of the whole phrase depends upon what follows "for." In the examples I used, and in the English language, if I follow "for" with something that can refer to a duration, even an infinite one, then the whole phrase is durational.

I can look up "eternity" in the dictionary. However, once I use it in the phrase "sit for eternity" I have already selected a use of the word. I cannot then point to a different use in the dictionary.

I tried to make this clear with the verb "drive." I cannot say "work's driving me crazy" and then point to a dictionary and say "drive means operating an automobile and that's what it means here.

Likewise, you cannot say "someone sits/is sitting/has been sitting for eternity" and then point to a dictionary and say "eternity means timeless." It does, but it can't when you use it in a durational construction, and that's exactly what you are doing. Just by using a subject + verb phrase + "for" + a term which can refer to time, you make it refer to time. To sit "for eternity" is to sit for all of time. It cannot be "to sit for timeless." That makes no sense.
The reason I keep "assuming" a duration is because your sentence "assumes" a duration. You can't use "eternity" in this context and say it means timeless. One cannot "sit for timeless" but one can "sit for eternity." This is because the construction "doing X for Y" means to do something for a duration of time, even an infinite duration. You are using one sense of "eternity" which is specified by the sentence you use it in, and then claiming it means something else. Only that "something else" doesn't work (is nonsensical and/or ungrammatical) in your sentence.

Time and change are dependent upon each each. The change is the passing of the state from one state to another, and time is the duration at which the change is made. You can't have one without the other.

When a mathematician or a scientist (or a philosopher) speaks of states and transitions with respect to time, the transition from state to state need only involve a transition (or change) of time. A model of a system, using a difference (or differential) equation (or equations), can describe a system at several different states which has not changed. All that is needed to go from state to state is a change in time, nothing else.
And, by the way, according to you, if we accept the above, then god is now changing, and has been since the creation of time.

But apart from just saying so, why must time entail change apart from the change of time? Again, hypothetically, why can't there be an unmoving, unchanging particle in the midst of the universe? Unchanging through time.

Thats the problem, time isn't infinite.
And if that's true, as the big bang theory holds, then one cannot speak of "before time" or "before the universe." Again:
From Professsor Michael Woolfson's Time, Space, Stars, and Man: The Story of the Big Bang (Imperial College Press, 2009): "Like any sensible person you will ask the question, "What was the state of affairs before the Big Bang?", to which you will receive the answer, "There is no such thing as before the Big Bang because time did not exist until the Big Bang occured."

Good job of purposely ignoring the broader point. How about addressing what was said?

I'm trying. But it's difficult to address assertions without knowing upon what they are based. For example, you stated above that change and time are inseperable. You can't have change without time. But if time itself changes, then that is all that needs to change. Nothing else is needed. And your hypothetical example used to make your point hinges on impossibility.

Playing word games huh? "has been sitting in a chair for eternity" does not describe duration.
That's true, but only because the phrase is nonsensical/paradoxical. Sitting "for eternity" requires unending sitting. But the perfect tense is used to describe an action or state of affairs which has ended. In other words, "has been sitting," as a progressive perfect, is a description of a state of affairs which, from the view of the speaker/writer, has ended. However, eternity doesn't end. To sit for eternity is to sit forever. An infinite duration of time. If one stands up, then one has not sat for eternity.

If there was never a point at which a person began sitting, there WAS no duration leading up to that person sitting.
If time had a beginning, then that's true. If time has always existed, it isn't. And if time had a beginning, than to speak of anything "before" time is impossible, or at least impossible to speak of with meaning and accuracy.

So answer this question, how could there be duration for something that never began??? Please answer this question.
I'll try to be clearer.

On time and duration:
1) If time is eternal, and has always existed, then something else could have always existed as well. The duration is infinite in both directions.
2) If time had a beginning, then something cannot have happened "before" this beginning. To speak of anything "before" time is to speak of temporality in a atemporal reality. Without time, there is no "before."

The problem with your example is, again, that you are trying to pick a meaning from a dictionary an place it into a construction in which it does not fit. If one sits for eternity, then one sits for an infinite duration of time. The construction requires this: "doing X for Y" is a temporal/durational construction. You cannot use this construction and then decide to pick a meaning from a dictionary which doesn't work in the construction.

You are missing the point my friend. If there is an infinite number of points between 0 and 1, and i asked you to count all of the points leading to 1, will you ever arrive at 1? No, because you have to count an infinite number of points to reach 1, so you will never get there.
Zeno's paradox. You're quite wrong, actually. Zeno's paradox was resolved some time ago. An infinite number of points can absolutely sum to a finite number. It does every second of every day. Each second is a unit, an interval, of time. Each such unit can be subdivided indefinitely. It is composed of an infinite number of points.
To illustrate, imagine you look at your watch, which reads 10:00 and 0 seconds, and a second later reads 10:00 and 1 second. How many "moments" have passed? Let's start at half a second. Then go to half and a quarter, increasing by half of what we started with. We continue in this way by increasing by half of a quarter, then half of that, and half of that, and we keep splitting. We can split forever. We can keep counting forward in halves for eternity, because there are an infinite number of such increases. However, these increases sum to reach 1 second. The 1 second mark is the "limit" of this infinite sequence. Look up "limit of a sequence."
Set theory and calculus are just mathematical instruments that work on paper, but when you convert the numbers from paper to reality, you will get contradictory results, which is why you will be unable to count the points in-between 0 and 1 to arrive at 1.

I take it you haven't studied either. What contradictory results?

Last edited:

Call_of_the_Wild

I have lost track of this thread.

I must say that whoever started this example of being seated for eternity to demonstrate timelessness is a lousy and flawed one.

I am guessing it is you who started this example, Call_of_the_wild, judging by your advocacy and insistence that God is timeless or outside of time. I don't think you have thought this through, because you're irrationally running in circles.

Telling me my viewpoint is irrational without explaining how or why it is irrational leads me to believe that you really dont have the intellect to take part in such a conversation. You just want to attack just for the sake of attacking. No substance whatsoever. I mean, you could have at least tried to throw something out there. Cmon now.

Call_of_the_Wild

Now, why do I keep "assuming a duration" ? It's required by the linguistic construction you used. Before I say why, let me explain what I mean by construction.

Let me stop you right there. Duration in this context is not required by linguistic construction. There is only duration if there was a moment at which i began to sit, which in this context, there isn't.

Eternity is part of the "lexicon" of English. As with all words, it is polysemous. It has more than one meaning. However, once a word is put into a clause, sentence, phrase, etc., it is subject not only to the full lexical meaning, but also to grammar.
Ok

You use a verb, plus the preposition "for." When you do this, only certain things can follow the preposition "for" and when they do, they can only mean certain things.

Eternity in the context that i am using it doesnt describe duration, it describes the state at which the timeless being existed. It existed in a eternal state, meaning, timelessness. We have to use a word that describe what we are talking about. When i say "for eternity", it is not the same as saying "for an hour", or "for a minute". Eternity describes the state at which time is not a factor. It doesn't exist. Eternity is the only word in our vocabulary that can be used to describe this state.

I cannot, for example, "sit for an upon". I cannot "sit for a to walk." I can sit for a rehearsal, I can sit for my friend, I can sit for an hour, I can sit for a while.
The meaning of the whole phrase depends upon what follows "for." In the examples I used, and in the English language, if I follow "for" with something that can refer to a duration, even an infinite one, then the whole phrase is durational.

As long as the word "eternal" is defined as timelessness, we should be able to construct a sentence in a grammatical way. And by the way, "For eternity" cannot be durational based on the way I am using it, because the second definition of the word (timelessness) is itself not a temporal concept. Remember, "eternity" is the STATE/CONDITION, the timeless beings existence. Not duration. THE STATE, THE STATE, THE STATE.

I can look up "eternity" in the dictionary. However, once I use it in the phrase "sit for eternity" I have already selected a use of the word. I cannot then point to a different use in the dictionary.
You are equivocating the word my friend
Image1.gif
. The first definition is "infinite time", which does in fact describe duration, because it is in time. The second is "timelessness", which describes the STATE at which something exist (in this case). It has nothing to do with time. So when i say "for eternity", I am not speaking of duration. I need a word to describe the state that the timeless being was in without hinting duration. So, if there is another way I could go about it, then fine, whatever way that is, put me there. The concept remains the same.

Likewise, you cannot say "someone sits/is sitting/has been sitting for eternity" and then point to a dictionary and say "eternity means timeless." It does, but it can't when you use it in a durational construction, and that's exactly what you are doing.

Ok, since you keep making a big deal out of this, instead of saying for eternity, i will from now on say, "If i was sitting in an eternal state, meaning timelessness". How about that??? But notice that my question still remains, if i have been sitting in a timeless state, at what point do is time relevant???

When a mathematician or a scientists (or a philosopher) speaks of states and transitions with respect to time, the transition from state to state need only involve a transition (or change) of time. A system, modeled by a difference (or differential) equation (or equations), can describe a system at several different states which has not changed. Time can change, but the state of the system need not.

So, if i have been sitting still in an timeless state, where is the change? I am sitting still, and i never moved. So where is the change?? The answer is, THERE IS NO CHANGE. So where is the time?? I never began to sit, i never began to move, so there could not have been a before or after, because nothing happened. This only makes sense if you can only change within time. If there is no change, there cannot be a Point A or Point B of measurable intervals between each point, because there are no points to distinguish. So time and change are dependent upon each other.

And, by the way, according to you, if we accept the above, then god is now changing, and has been since the creation of time.

Ok, and? This doesn't mean that God's nature is changing. It just mean he became temporal, or stepped in to time. For example, God knows that I am sitting here with a discussing these issues on this laptop. In about an hour (or whatever time i get off), he will know that I am NOT discussing these issues on this laptop. That is change. Actions that happens in time, temporal causation.

But apart from just saying so, why must time entail change apart from the change of time? Again, hypothetically, why can't there be an unmoving, unchanging particle in the midst of the universe? Unchanging through time.

If the universe began to exist, so did the particles, therefore the particles are temporal regardless of how long they have been at rest in the midst of the universe. The measurable intervals between when it existed is T0, to now, 13.7. That is finite time.

And if that's true, as the big bang theory holds, then one cannot speak of "before time" or "before the universe."

I agree, there is no "before the universe" in terms of time. But since no one is arguing that there was time before the universe (at least im not), we need not to be worried about such a thing.

Call_of_the_Wild

I'm trying. But it's difficult to address assertions without knowing upon what they are based. For example, you stated above that change and time are inseperable. You can't have change without time. But if time itself changes, then that is all that needs to change. Nothing else is needed. And your hypothetical example used to make your point hinges on impossibility.

What i meant was, there cannot be change without time. There is no doubt that time is a requirment for change. The question is, if everything in the universe just stopped moving right now, and everything became motionless, I can still perceive time continuing to move on despite this. But, would this still be considered change, because each point in the future would still be distinguished from past points, thus, change. So, this is still change within time.

That's true, but only because the phrase is nonsensical/paradoxical. Sitting "for eternity" requires unending sitting. But the perfect tense is used to describe an action or state of affairs which has ended. In other words, "has been sitting," as a progressive perfect, is a description of a state of affairs which, from the view of the speaker/writer, has ended.

As I said before, from now on i will say "sitting in a timeless state", so based on this, you will have no choice but to accept the second definition :D No more semantic games my friend :D

However, eternity doesn't end. To sit for eternity is to sit forever. An infinite duration of time. If one stands up, then one has not sat for eternity.

Good job of making my point for me :clap If time is infinite, as you think it is, It could never end, as you just said. Yet, if our universe began to exist, which it did, then time cant be eternal, because our universe beginning to exist would be the same as me beginnng to stand up after sitting for eternity, right??? Its the SAME line of reasonging. To make this more clear, let me elaborate. I used the analogy of a person sitting perfectly still in a chair. The person begins to stand up, and time begins from there that point on. You just said that if one stands up, he has not sat for eternity, because eternity doesn't end, because if he stood up, that would mean he couldnt have been sitting for eternity. But if time is infinite, that would suggest "past eternity". So we could say "before our universe existed, the past was eternal". But if our universe began to exist, it could not have "not existed" for eternity, because eternity does not end, as you stated. Do you follow me? The universe beginning to exist would be the same as the person beginning to stand. If you just said that a person could not have been sitting for eternity, then our universe couldn't have begun to exist after not existing for eternity.

If time had a beginning, then that's true. If time has always existed, it isn't. And if time had a beginning, than to speak of anything "before" time is impossible, or at least impossible to speak of with meaning and accuracy.

As I said before, if time is infinite, then in order to arrive at the present moment, time would have had to traverse an infinite number of moments to reach this moment, which is impossible because you cant "arrive" at infinity. Time had a beginning at some point in the finite past.

I'll try to be clearer.
On time and duration:
1) If time is eternal, and has always existed, then something else could have always existed as well. The duration is infinite in both directions.

Impossible, and i just stated why above.

2) If time had a beginning, then something cannot have happened "before" this beginning. To speak of anything "before" time is to speak of temporality in a atemporal reality. Without time, there is no "before."

I agree, there was no temporal "before", but there was a "causual" before. Those are two different concepts.

The problem with your example is, again, that you are trying to pick a meaning from a dictionary an place it into a construction in which it does not fit. If one sits for eternity, then one sits for an infinite duration of time. The construction requires this: "doing X for Y" is a temporal/durational construction. You cannot use this construction and then decide to pick a meaning from a dictionary which doesn't work in the construction.

Remember, from now on "If a man was sitting perfectly still in a timeless state..." Now you have no choice but to accept the second definition, because "timelessness" is the second definition of the word "eternity". No more ducking and dodging my friend.

Zeno's paradox. To illustrate, imagine you look at your watch, which reads 10:00 and 0 seconds, and a second later reads 10:00 and 1 second. How many "moments" have passed? Let's start at half a second. Then go to half and a quarter, increasing by half of what we started with. We continue in this way by increasing by half of a quarter, then half of that, and half of that, and we keep splitting. We can split forever. We can keep counting forward in halves for eternity, because there are an infinite number of such increases.

Not so fast. First of all, this is not an example of an "actual" infinity. This is an example of "potential" infinity. You can split forever, but you do not reach a limit. After every split, you still have an infinite number of splits to go. That is potential infinite. It is the concept of actual infinity that cannot exist in reality. Zeno's paradox only illustrates the fact that whatever point you arrive, there are still an infinite number of points to go. But this is actually an argument against you POV. You said that time is infinite in both directions. So we can place a point on the timeline that represents "now". But if it is infinite in both directions, how will you ever reach the "now" point, if there are an infinite number of boths in the preceding direction.

However, these increases sum to reach 1 second. The 1 second mark is the "limit" of this infinite sequence. Look up "limit of a sequence."
I take it you haven't studied either. What contradictory results?

Lol, so if 1 is the limit, how many numbers are in-between 0 and 1??? Good luck with that one.

Call_of_the_Wild

It seems, however, that the explanations don't make sense to you, not that they aren't offered. I tried to explain my view again in my last post. Others have also explained.

You haven't offered any juice my friend. All you did was play semantics. Ok, fine. But I already dealt with that in my last post. So I want you to explain how does time relate to something that never changed. I gave the example of "My wife and China", which was the perfect example of why you cant place time on something that never happend, which you did not address. That was a pretty good example btw :yes:

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Eternity in the context that i am using it doesnt describe duration, it describes the state at which the timeless being existed. It existed in a eternal state, meaning, timelessness.

This is very contradictory.
The word 'existed' is being used in the past tense.
It decribes an event that happened in a given time frame.
So you can't say a (timeless) being existed before time.
That is like saying that time existed before time came into existence.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Telling me my viewpoint is irrational without explaining how or why it is irrational leads me to believe that you really dont have the intellect to take part in such a conversation. You just want to attack just for the sake of attacking. No substance whatsoever. I mean, you could have at least tried to throw something out there. Cmon now.

Yet you responded with an even lower form of insult.

Call_of_the_Wild

This is very contradictory.
The word 'existed' is being used in the past tense.
It decribes an event that happened in a given time frame.
So you can't say a (timeless) being existed before time.
That is like saying that time existed before time came into existence.

Noooo, you are assuming that just because something existed there had to be a POINT at which it BEGAN. That is not the case. The word "existed" only described its timeless state, not past duration leading up to its beginning. Apparently you people have a hard time answering questions, because I will ask you the same thing. If something never began to exist, how can there be moments leading up to its existence?? ANSWER THE QUESTION.