• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang, Evolution, Creation, Life etc.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since everything that begins to exist has a cause (and time is not excluded in this premise)
So you continue to assert. But you haven't said why. Again: causation is a temporal notion. The fact that you take the notion and then say it has to exist even when time doesn't (and then to call this atemporal causation) doesn't make it true, nor does it mean you aren't buiding castles on air. The argument of causation states that an event must be proceeded by another event which caused it. In other words, it is fundamentally based in a notion of linear time. Take away time, and there is no "preceded by" to cause the event. Ergo, no need for causation.

That is why the "first cause" argument is not a scientific argument, but a philosophical one.
Proposed centuries ago before we our current understanding of the relationship between space and time, the origins of the universe, etc. Causality, determinism, etc., have all been addressed in much more nuanced ways since. But since you bring it up, what philosophers, or philosophical texts, have you read which address modern arguments and counter-arguments to this notion of causality and the necessity of a "first cause"?

As far as what?
First, that there all events must have a cause, even given time. Second (and much easier) that the idea every cause must have an effect is dependent on time. It's a linear view of events. One thing happens, which causes another. Without time, this is impossible. Nothing can "happen" in any sense that we know of or understand. All you are doing is taking an argument based on a linear view of events through time, and claiming it holds true when time does not exist. But there is no reason to suppose it does, even if it exists within time. Finally, with the introcution of special and general relativity and our current understanding of spacetime, arguments which deal with causality even within "time" have become considerably more nuanced.

I already did. I said that God existed in a timeless and changeless state, just like the man sitting still existed in a timeless and changeless state. No moments before or after. That is timeless.
That's not an explanation for what "atemporal causation" is or why we should imagine such a thing exists.

But to start off you said the universe was an effect, and every effect has a cause.
According to Aquinas anyway.

First of all, if you are even willing to entertain the idea that the universe came from a state of nothingness, it would become very apparent that you are trying to avoid I.D at all costs, even if it means postulating the impossible.
Hardly. It's more a committment to intellectual honesty. You call it "postulating the impossible" to imagine the universe simply "beginning" ex nihilo but have no difficulty with an eternal creator who divinely made it happen and then stepped into time and just leave it at that. To me, that sounds like rejecting one "absurdigy" for another at least as equally impossible or incomprehinsible explanation.

I have already mentioned the Hilberts Hotel paradox which im sure you are familiar with.
I'm not sure you understand what it means, or why it was never meant to lead to a contradiction nor is it thought to.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you take a calculus class or use set theory you will never reach a point where you can say "hey, i've reached infinity", or "hey, i have infinity". These are just conceptual tools that can be used on papers, given certain axioms and conventions.
This is perhaps the most confusing (or perhaps confused) component of your argument. You accept as given a certain cosmological theory on the origin of time and the universe. This theory is based in physics. Calculus is fundamental to physics. Basic concepts like "velocity" depend on the use of infinity you claim "only works on paper" and "not in reality." So you use a theory of reality which was built upon concepts you state only work on paper and not in reality. How does that work?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
This is perhaps the most confusing (or perhaps confused) component of your argument. You accept as given a certain cosmological theory on the origin of time and the universe. This theory is based in physics. Calculus is fundamental to physics. Basic concepts like "velocity" depend on the use of infinity you claim "only works on paper" and "not in reality." So you use a theory of reality which was built upon concepts you state only work on paper and not in reality. How does that work?
It is called the "Pick And Choose" method.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
I repeat, you cant arrive at infinity as a destination. No matter where you stop, there will always be an infinite number of points ahead of you.
The cause was the Big Bang. The big bang was caused by the expansion of the singularity. The singularity, however, had no beginning, so it does not need a cause.

Call_of_the_Wild

So you continue to assert. But you haven't said why. Again: causation is a temporal notion. The fact that you take the notion and then say it has to exist even when time doesn't (and then to call this atemporal causation) doesn't make it true, nor does it mean you aren't buiding castles on air. The argument of causation states that an event must be proceeded by another event which caused it. In other words, it is fundamentally based in a notion of linear time. Take away time, and there is no "preceded by" to cause the event. Ergo, no need for causation.

Causation IS a temporal action. The first event (the big bang) was the first cause, and that event took place at T0. No one is denying this. I never said that causation wasn't a temporal notion. What I said was, the first event (the big bang) was caused by a atemporal agent. The first event took place in time, at the BEGINNING of time, and therefore, IN TIME.

Proposed centuries ago before we our current understanding of the relationship between space and time, the origins of the universe, etc. Causality, determinism, etc., have all been addressed in much more nuanced ways since. But since you bring it up, what philosophers, or philosophical texts, have you read which address modern arguments and counter-arguments to this notion of causality and the necessity of a "first cause"?

The universe began to exist. This event requires a CAUSE, just like any other event. Why are you questioning this? Since when has it been cool to question brute facts. Everything that begins to exist has a cause, which mean that things dont just pop in to being uncaused out of nothing. I think that the evidence for ID has become so evident, that people who just refuse to believe are just stuck with denying brute facts. Everything that begins to exist has a cause. Nothing can "begin" to exist without a cause. Why do we have to discuss this????

First, that there all events must have a cause, even given time. Second (and much easier) that the idea every cause must have an effect is dependent on time. It's a linear view of events. One thing happens, which causes another. Without time, this is impossible. Nothing can "happen" in any sense that we know of or understand. All you are doing is taking an argument based on a linear view of events through time, and claiming it holds true when time does not exist. But there is no reason to suppose it does, even if it exists within time. Finally, with the introcution of special and general relativity and our current understanding of spacetime, arguments which deal with causality even within "time" have become considerably more nuanced.

As I said, everything that begins to exist has a cause. It doesn't matter how you try to explain it. Nothing can "begin to happen" without a prexisting causal condition allowing it to happen. Yes, it happens in time. Got it, but it happens. There is nothing you can say, so why are you wasting both of our time trying to justify that kind of reasoning??? Do you want to deny ID that much???

That's not an explanation for what "atemporal causation" is or why we should imagine such a thing exists.

Oh my goodness. Dude, time began to exist. IF TIME BEGAN TO EXIST, THE ONLY THING THAT COULD HAVE GIVEN TIME ITS BEGINNING, IS SOMETHING THAT IS NOT TEMPORAL (ATEMPORAL). THERE IS NO OTHER WAY AROUND THIS. SO STOP ASKING THESE PATHETIC QUESTIONS. Time had a beginning, but once it comes to using your mind to figure out "what could have caused time", you suddenly just stop all thinking and make it seem as if it isn't possible. Is it because you know its implications? I dont know, but please stop asking these ridiculous questions. Please.

According to Aquinas anyway.

Not just Aquinas, but any logical and reasonable person. Everyone knows that everything that begins to exist has a cause. Things dont just pop in to being uncaused out of nothing. I dont think anyone on this earth that is sane right now is worrying about a horse popping in to their living room right now. Why are we discussing this??

Hardly. It's more a committment to intellectual honesty. You call it "postulating the impossible" to imagine the universe simply "beginning" ex nihilo but have no difficulty with an eternal creator who divinely made it happen and then stepped into time and just leave it at that. To me, that sounds like rejecting one "absurdigy" for another at least as equally impossible or incomprehinsible explanation.

Lets compare the two. If a magician pulls a rabbit out of the hat, we may not know how he did it, but we can say that the magician caused the rabbit to appear. There is a prexisting causal agent that explains why the rabbit appears. That is my view. But on your view, there is no magician, the rabbit just pops in to being, uncaused, and out of nothing. You may not like either scenario, but guess what, everything hangs on one of these two scenarios. You are just choosing the one that will allow you to not answer to a higher authority. That is the real reason why people dont believe in God, because they know that once they believe, they will be accountable to him. So its best for them to keep denying him and believing in absurdities than to believe in him. That is the real reason.

I'm not sure you understand what it means, or why it was never meant to lead to a contradiction nor is it thought to.

So instead of commenting on the Paradox, you attack my knowledge on the issue. Hilbert was showing how life would be if we lived in a world where infinity could exist in reality.Wow. With all due respect, it was a pleasure talking to you, for the most part. But we dont have anything else to discuss. I cant keep going over this with you. Right now you are ducking and dodging the issues. Nothing else for me to say to you.

Last edited:

Call_of_the_Wild

The cause was the Big Bang. The big bang was caused by the expansion of the singularity. The singularity, however, had no beginning, so it does not need a cause.

So if the big bang was infinite, why did it begin to exist 13.7 biliion years ago?? There were no preexisting conditions from a naturalistic perspective that would have allowed this expansion to happen, so why did it???

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so why did it???
Nobody knows. Nor are we even capable of grasping what anything could be or the nature of a reality which involves neither space nor time. All of our knowledge of conditions, causation, etc., are from a reality in which both exist. To say "god did it" doesn't explain anything anymore than "it just happened."

Daviso452

Boy Genius
So if the big bang was infinite, why did it begin to exist 13.7 biliion years ago?? There were no preexisting conditions from a naturalistic perspective that would have allowed this expansion to happen, so why did it???

The big bang was not infinite. Nor was the singularity. The Singularity was without time, then it exploded, and time began. The big bang occurred simultaneously with the creation of time.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I have never liked that interpretation (why would time and space HAVE to be created by the BB, bah - only space with similar characteristics to what we now experience within the universe and as for time... well that is a WHOLE other thread, or series of threads lol) but in any event CotW, there is nothing within the proposed model that requires a supernatural existence.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you try to use these concepts in reality, you will get contradictory results as the HHP indicates.

Show me how calculus or set theory can solve the problem of Hilberts Paradox, please, I am begging you.
Here you go (first the easy clear stuff, then if you want to check out more complicated arguments, see further below):
Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel
Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel is a mathematical veridical paradox (a true result that is strongly counter-intuitive) about infinite sets presented by German mathematician David Hilbert (1862–1943).

Hilbert's Paradox of the Grand Hotel
Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel is a mathematical veridical paradox (a non-contradictory speculation that is strongly counter-intuitive) about infinite sets

So, what's the problem? The paradox isn't contradictory. For some more complicated analyses which touch on this and on your central claims (including addressing Craig's argument) see here:

Must Metaphysical Time Have a Beginning? Faith & Philosophy 20(3)

Must the beginning of the universe have a personal cause?: A critical examination of the Kalam [Craig's argument] cosmological argument. Faith & Philosophy 17(2)

A response to a Platonistic and to a set-theoretic objection to the Kalam [Craig's argument] cosmological argument Religious Studies 39

For infinity used in actual math (combinatorics in this case): On the confluence of infinitary Combinatory Reduction Systems

Some very light reading on the backround of infinity, including Hilbert's hotel: Infinity: Are we there yet?