• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

Audie

Veteran Member
The Black Sea breech was a slow moving flood.. People had plenty of time to move their livestock and families to higher ground. Most serious scholars think that coincides with the explosion of agriculture in Europe, Anatolia etc.

There's been what, 9, 18 glacial advances and
retreats? Black sea cut off, the rejoined.
Bering land bridge, dry, then submerged.

As the last one melted enough fot a high high
tide to trickle some water through, it was a whole before the ne t tide was high enough.

Finally some water gets through with each
high tide, as world sea level slowly rises.

Some flood.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
@shunyadragon
What about Exodus from Indus Valley?
Egypt build with stone so no need for a lot of straw
Indus Valley bakes bricks using lots of straw
Exodus 5:7
“You shall no longer supply the people with straw for making bricks. They must go and gather their own straw.
"
This response is not related to what I posted. Bricks made with stone and mud and without straw is pretty much universal in all cultures of the world at one time or the other. Egyptians made bricks of both stone and mud. The Bible does contain factual information like at least one good bread recipe.

What's your point?

Last edited:

River Sea

Finding real leaders and places that existed in the bible proves nothing. But I have a better question for you.

For those Christians who claim historical places and leaders prove the bible is right and so is Christianity then why aren't you Muslim? Why aren't you Jewish ?Muslim and Jewish scripture has all that too, so?

@Riders You are correct; others have their stories and are willing to share them.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala is an Hindu who lives in India. Bharat found archeologist evidence where this story Noah and the ark came from

The Meena Community believes it has descended from Vaivaswat Manu that's where Noah's story came from. Flood was local in Jalore

Flood Jalore.jpeg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Riders You are correct; others have their stories and are willing to share them.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala is an Hindu who lives in India. Bharat found archeologist evidence where this story Noah and the ark came from

The Meena Community believes it has descended from Vaivaswat Manu that's where Noah story came from. Flood was local in Jalore

View attachment 69575
There are probably better more local stories for the foundation of that myth. The story appears to be Sumerian in origin. The Hebrews appear to have gotten their story from the Epic of Gilgamesh.

River Sea

Who do you think wrote Genesis? Moses had been dead for 800 years before it was written.

Another thought is: how did Moses write about his death? How did Moses know when he would die? The Torah explains that Moses died and didn't go into Canaan. Am I understanding this correctly?

River Sea

Correct.. Most scholars think the Exodus is a redemption myth.. Never happened. The Hebrews were Canaanites from the North coast of Syria.

Or what if the Hebrews came from the Indus Valley? How would that compare to Hebrews from the North Coast of Syria?

For example, is there a need for a lot of straw for baking bricks, or is Syria similar to Egypt, building with stone, so there is no need for a lot of straw?

How come Pharaoh demanded lots of straw?

The Hebrews weren't even slaves; the Hebrews had wealth. How come the Hebrews had to bake more bricks, needing a lot of straw?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Part 1 - Historically Accurate

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.

The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.

Archaeology Confirms 50 Real People in the Bible

Add one more to the list.
Tattenai, also called Sisinnes, (flourished c. 6th–5th century BCE), Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River (eber nāri, “beyond the river”) during the reign of Darius I (522–486 BCE).
According to the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) Book of Ezra, Tattenai led an investigation into the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem about 519 BCE. He sent a report to Darius, who responded with instructions to allow the work to proceed. Tattenai is one of the few Persian officials mentioned in the Hebrew Bible for whom there is independent attestation; he is mentioned in a cuneiform tablet dated 502 BCE.

Tattenai
Tattenai (or Tatnai or Sisinnes) was a Biblical character and a Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River during the time of Zerubbabel and the reign of Darius I.

He is best known for questioning King Darius in regard to the rebuilding of a temple for the Lord, God of Israel. He was generally friendly to the Jews.The rebuilding was being led by Jeshua, son of Jozadak, and Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and had been issued by King Cyrus I. Tattenai wrote a letter to King Darius to ask of these statements were true, and then King Darius wrote a letter confirming that the statements were true. In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.

Babylonian Cuneiform inscriptions
A number of cuneiform tablets bearing the name Tattenai have survived as part of what may have been a family archive. The tablet that links one member of this family to the Bible character is a promissory note dated to the 20th year of Darius I, 502 BC. It identifies a witness to the transaction as a servant of “Tattannu, governor of Across-the-River”. The clay tablet can be dated to June 5, 502 B.C. exactly.

Name
The Name Tattenai (ושתני), probably derived from the Persian name Ustanu, a word found in Zoroastrian scriptures to mean "teaching" though to the Hebrews it was indistinguishable from an expression of the verb נתן natan, meaning "to give". In 1 Esdras he is called Sisinnes.

Biblical texts
Ezra 1:1-4; 4:4-16; 5:3-7.

Tattenai meaning

Argument from silence DEBUNKED
CONFIRMED
: The Bible - Historically Accurate

The Bible includes 50 “real people”? So what? I could write a fictional story today and include “real people,” but that doesn’t make my story “historical.”

nPeace

Veteran Member
The Bible includes 50 “real people”? So what? I could write a fictional story today and include “real people,” but that doesn’t make my story “historical.”
If you did write a story that includes real people; real places; real events; would that make your story historical? If not, what would?

Watchmen

Premium Member
If you did write a story that includes real people; real places; real events; would that make your story historical? If not, what would?
You’re totally missing the point. Do you think every story that includes real people and events is historical? Are the following movies/TV shows “historical”?

Inglorious Basterds
Forrest Gump
11/22/63
X-Men First Class

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You’re totally missing the point. Do you think every story that includes real people and events is historical? Are the following movies/TV shows “historical”?

Inglorious Basterds
Forrest Gump
11/22/63
X-Men First Class
Only if you include Spiderman too (my personal favorite) then yes, yes they are:D

nPeace

Veteran Member

Inglorious Basterds
Forrest Gump
11/22/63
X-Men First Class
From your response, obviously you are missing the point... and you didn't answer my question.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The answer to your question is, “It depends.” Now answer my questions.
"It depends" is not a coherent response to the question, What would make your story historical?

However, here follows your basic argument.
The following are not real historical events.
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • Forrest Gump
  • 11/22/63
  • X-Men First Class
Therefore the following are not real historical event.

Does that argument make sense to you?
If that's not your argument, then please... what is your argument?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Another thought is: how did Moses write about his death? How did Moses know when he would die? The Torah explains that Moses died and didn't go into Canaan. Am I understanding this correctly?
It is clear that Moses did not record his own death. Many recognize Joshua wrote about Moses' death.