• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

sooda

Veteran Member
Doctors still use unorthodox techniques because they consider certain illnesses to be associated with evil spirits.
Some so-called modern medicine is ancient - yes, only now discovered, but not new.

What illnesses are considered to be associated with evil spirits?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Your still showing favoritism towards the bible and not applying the same logic you would use to disprove the spiderman analogy. Stop running from the question and answer why you won't apply the same logic to the bible.

You still have yet to show any proof that the bible or the claims in the bible to be true.
I think you are having much difficulty understanding, but I'll try again, till I am certain you do.

I'm saying, a history book has been found with real people, places and events.
We are right as individuals to determine whether or not this book contains true history.
It has been discovered that this book does contain history of real people and places... and to the annoyance of many, real events.
For example... (this is just one of many)
Jehu - Wikipedia

Despite this, some have made up their minds that this book is fiction. On what basis? I suggest because it contains supernatural elements.
However, just claiming that comic books also contain places that we know are real, but the characters are fiction, is just a way to try to make an excuse not to accept these facts.
The problem with that obvious strawman argument, is this... Comic books contain characters and events that have not been confirmed, and are known to be fictional. Unlike the Bible, which contains numerous characters and events which have been confirmed.
For example...
List of biblical figures identified in extra-biblical sources - Wikipedia

One may argue that in fictional literature and media events are staged - for example, the president of the US, being kidnapped, etc., but these staged event are not confirmed. The events in the Bible has been confirmed.

"Not all." You argue.
Well, so what? We don't expect to find everything in history.
No one complains about scientists saying the fossil record is incomplete... at least Bible bashers don't.

We don't expect to find the garments, and sandals Jesus wore. Nor can we confirm that Paul was beheaded, by finding his head, and DNA saying, "I belong to Paul", but time and again, we do find something that confirms the historical accounts in the Bible - Characters, events, places, culture, customs... and we can oftentimes trace this with, precise accuracy.

This is just one aspect, demonstrating the reliability, and authenticity of the Bible.
Strawman arguments, however, are not the proper way to determine the reliability of a document.
One must look at all the facts, which would either substantiate the claim of the document being reliable, or refute the claim.

So, we looked at the historical, and that has been confirmed.
Any objections, please state them now.

Riders

Just because some of the people in the bible leaders were real and historical does not make the bible historically correct. Superman movies from the 80s had a guy playing President Reagan,he was in it, does this make Superman real?

Riders

I think you are having much difficulty understanding, but I'll try again, till I am certain you do.

I'm saying, a history book has been found with real people, places and events.
We are right as individuals to determine whether or not this book contains true history.
It has been discovered that this book does contain history of real people and places... and to the annoyance of many, real events.
For example... (this is just one of many)
Jehu - Wikipedia

Despite this, some have made up their minds that this book is fiction. On what basis? I suggest because it contains supernatural elements.
However, just claiming that comic books also contain places that we know are real, but the characters are fiction, is just a way to try to make an excuse not to accept these facts.
The problem with that obvious strawman argument, is this... Comic books contain characters and events that have not been confirmed, and are known to be fictional. Unlike the Bible, which contains numerous characters and events which have been confirmed.
For example...
List of biblical figures identified in extra-biblical sources - Wikipedia

One may argue that in fictional literature and media events are staged - for example, the president of the US, being kidnapped, etc., but these staged event are not confirmed. The events in the Bible has been confirmed.

"Not all." You argue.
No one complains about scientists saying the fossil record is incomplete... at least Bible bashers don't.

We don't expect to find the garments, and sandals Jesus wore. Nor can we confirm that Paul was beheaded, by finding his head, and DNA saying, "I belong to Paul", but time and again, we do find something that confirms the historical accounts in the Bible - Characters, events, places, culture, customs... and we can oftentimes trace this with, precise accuracy.

This is just one aspect, demonstrating the reliability, and authenticity of the Bible.
Strawman arguments, however, are not the proper way to determine the reliability of a document.
One must look at all the facts, which would either substantiate the claim of the document being reliable, or refute the claim.

So, we looked at the historical, and that has been confirmed.
Any objections, please state them now.

Comic books contain characters and events that have not been confirmed, and are known to be fictional.

Unlike the Bible, which contains numerous characters and events which have been confirmed.

Adam and EVe are fictional, the talking snake is fictional, Noah and his ark has been proven to be fictional Jesus is not proven to be real, theres lots of people in the bible not proven to be real............

For example...

nPeace

Veteran Member
Just because some of the people in the bible leaders were real and historical does not make the bible historically correct. Superman movies from the 80s had a guy playing President Reagan,he was in it, does this make Superman real?
You're late. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Comic books contain characters and events that have not been confirmed, and are known to be fictional.

Unlike the Bible, which contains numerous characters and events which have been confirmed.

Adam and EVe are fictional, the talking snake is fictional, Noah and his ark has been proven to be fictional Jesus is not proven to be real, theres lots of people in the bible not proven to be real............

For example...
"Not all." You argue.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Part 1 - Historically Accurate

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.

The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.

Archaeology Confirms 50 Real People in the Bible

Add one more to the list.
Tattenai, also called Sisinnes, (flourished c. 6th–5th century BCE), Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River (eber nāri, “beyond the river”) during the reign of Darius I (522–486 BCE).
According to the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) Book of Ezra, Tattenai led an investigation into the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem about 519 BCE. He sent a report to Darius, who responded with instructions to allow the work to proceed. Tattenai is one of the few Persian officials mentioned in the Hebrew Bible for whom there is independent attestation; he is mentioned in a cuneiform tablet dated 502 BCE.

Tattenai
Tattenai (or Tatnai or Sisinnes) was a Biblical character and a Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River during the time of Zerubbabel and the reign of Darius I.

He is best known for questioning King Darius in regard to the rebuilding of a temple for the Lord, God of Israel. He was generally friendly to the Jews.The rebuilding was being led by Jeshua, son of Jozadak, and Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and had been issued by King Cyrus I. Tattenai wrote a letter to King Darius to ask of these statements were true, and then King Darius wrote a letter confirming that the statements were true. In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.

Babylonian Cuneiform inscriptions
A number of cuneiform tablets bearing the name Tattenai have survived as part of what may have been a family archive. The tablet that links one member of this family to the Bible character is a promissory note dated to the 20th year of Darius I, 502 BC. It identifies a witness to the transaction as a servant of “Tattannu, governor of Across-the-River”. The clay tablet can be dated to June 5, 502 B.C. exactly.

Name
The Name Tattenai (ושתני), probably derived from the Persian name Ustanu, a word found in Zoroastrian scriptures to mean "teaching" though to the Hebrews it was indistinguishable from an expression of the verb נתן natan, meaning "to give". In 1 Esdras he is called Sisinnes.

Biblical texts
Ezra 1:1-4; 4:4-16; 5:3-7.

Tattenai meaning

Argument from silence DEBUNKED
CONFIRMED
: The Bible - Historically Accurate

People distrust what they think is the bible most often because of what they've been told it says according to someone misinterpreting some verse(s) for them. This isn't the only reason, but it's probably the most common reason of all.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Riders said:
Noah and his ark has been proven to be fictional Jesus is not proven to be real
I am not aware of this. What's the proof that Noah and the ark is fictional.
As far as I know, no one has been able to refute the evidence that Jesus was (is) real. What would prove Jesus was real to you?

Riders

"Not all." You argue.

Finding real leaders and places that existed in the bible proves nothing. But I have a better question for you.

For those Christians who claim historical places and leaders prove the bible is right and so is Christianity then why aren't you Muslim? Why aren't you Jewish ?Muslim and Jewish scripture has all that too, so?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As far as I know, no one has been able to refute the evidence that Jesus was (is) real. What would prove Jesus was real to you?
Tell me your version of the flood myth and I can tell you whether it can be refuted or not.

Riders

WHat the proof? That Babylonia and other cities mesoptamia and countries recorded Noahs ark way before Jews did, then Jews were taken in bondage to help build Mesopatamia and copied their stories.

nPeace

Veteran Member
People distrust what they think is the bible most often because of what they've been told it says according to someone misinterpreting some verse(s) for them. This isn't the only reason, but it's probably the most common reason of all.
Jesus told people the truth, and they did not believe him. It had nothing to do with they not being told the truth. Jesus identified the problem was their heart, not their ears.

nPeace

Veteran Member
WHat the proof? That Babylonia and other cities mesoptamia and countries recorded Noahs ark way before Jews did, then Jews were taken in bondage to help build Mesopatamia and copied their stories.
That's not the truth. It may be what you were told, and what you believe , but it's not the truth.
@Riders you do know that opinion is not proof right?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Doctors still use unorthodox techniques because they consider certain illnesses to be associated with evil spirits.
Some so-called modern medicine is ancient - yes, only now discovered, but not new.
Not sure you’d be able to find “evil spirits” in the medical journals...

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Jesus told people the truth, and they did not believe him. It had nothing to do with they not being told the truth. Jesus identified the problem was their heart, not their ears.
That's not all tho.

Many out there have never heard things He said past 1 sentence (if that!), but have the wrong impression that they do know what He said -- because someone else misinterpreted what He said to them. (ask if you want examples)

nPeace

Veteran Member
That's not all tho.

Many out there have never heard things He said past 1 sentence (if that!), but have the wrong impression that they do know what He said -- because someone else misinterpreted what He said to them. (ask if you want examples)
Sure, some people - because people are different - are misinformed, but one can tell by a person's attitude, if they are genuinely misinformed. Although we don't want to judge, we still should be discerning.