• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

nPeace

Veteran Member
It is a story. A story that includes historical information. History is extracted/constructed from such stories.

More on historical thinking and method:

Historical Truth

Source criticism - Wikipedia
When something is written as a story, there are a few things we expect - the author does not say it is actually history; there is no reason to conclude otherwise, given that no effort is made to prove the story reliable, and no evidence at all is there to verify the story.

On the other hand, when something is writen as history, the author(s) make this clear; they presents facts to demonstrate the accounts are reliable; evidence is available, to verify the accounts.

Two or three witnesses can provide a solid basis for truth.
Where the Bible is concerned, those three are present, and each has its own body of evidence, making them credible witnesses.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Joshua, like Moses was legendary at best. On the order of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer. The Torah was written much later than most Christians realize.
So you say. The more I look into it, the more I see the accounts about Moses, the history of the Jews in the wilderness and prior to that, plus Joshua, are not legendary. You and others considering themselves realistic and/or knowledgeable may believe they are, but similar to evolution, your belief as well as those considered authorities, does not make it so. The Bible speaks for itself, including the transmission and care of the Hebrews regarding the writing and copying. That there were no tell-tale signs that scholars found re the wilderness sojourn does not make their suppositions true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So you say. The more I look into it, the more I see the accounts about Moses, the histsory of the Jews in the wilderness and prior to that, plus Joshua, are not legendary. You and others considering themselves realistic and/or knowledgeable may believe they are, but similar to evolution, your belief as well as those considered authorities, does not make it so. The Bible speaks for itself, including the transmission and care of the Hebrews regarding the writing and copying. That there were no tell-tale signs that scholars found re the wilderness sojourn does not make their suppositions true.
Really? What sources do you use? Do you use legitimate sources, which would be scholars that are willing to put their reputation on the line by publishing in peer reviewed journals or do you use Christian apologists, AKA Liars For Jesus? I have no respect for Christian apologists since I cannot seem to find any honest ones.

Actual scholars can explain to you why it is a myth. Can you seriously tell me which sources your read that you trust? It is easy to fool oneself by "doing my own research". That usually means choosing anyone that says what you like and not those that are honest.

YoursTrue

Joshua, like Moses was legendary at best. On the order of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer. The Torah was written much later than most Christians realize.
The more I read, (the more I research) I wonder about the charge someone made about Krishna and Kamsa as analogous to a history of Moses, and I asked the poster if he (she?) knew when this happened, couldn't find anything about it on the internet, wonder if you know since you're interested in putting down the Bible.

YoursTrue

Really? What sources do you use? Do you use legitimate sources, which would be scholars that are willing to put their reputation on the line by publishing in peer reviewed journals or do you use Christian apologists, AKA Liars For Jesus? I have no respect for Christian apologists since I cannot seem to find any honest ones.

Actual scholars can explain to you why it is a myth. Can you seriously tell me which sources your read that you trust? It is easy to fool oneself by "doing my own research". That usually means choosing anyone that says what you like and not those that are honest.
I do not agree with many scholars, even those promoting for Jesus. (Similar to those that put down evolution -- I don't necessarily agree with them either about their take on things.)

YoursTrue

I already gave you the opposing viewpoint but again, you fail to see it. I was reading a little about good old Einstein and find one of his posits is in harmony with the Bible, probably he didn't even know it when he wrote about relativity. In fact, until I read it in a way I understood it about a solar eclipse that happened a while back, said to "prove" his theory of relativity, I didn't understand it. But you know, it is in harmony with what the Bible says. I FINALLY understood it! He may not have known his theory to be in harmony with the Bible's description of space. Yeah, well anyway, have a good evening, take care.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do not agree with many scholars, even those promoting for Jesus. (Similar to those that put down evolution -- I don't necessarily agree with them either about their take on things.)
Why would you disagree with scholars? Scholars get in trouble if they are obviously biased. Scholars can tell you why they believe what they believe. You do not appear to be able to do that . You do not even appear to have any reliable sources.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I already gave you the opposing viewpoint but again, you fail to see it. I was reading a little about good old Einstein and find one of his posits is in harmony with the Bible, probably he didn't even know it when he wrote about relativity. In fact, until I read it in a way I understood it about a solar eclipse that happened a while back, said to "prove" his theory of relativity, I didn't understand it. But you know, it is in harmony with what the Bible says. I FINALLY understood it! He may not have known his theory to be in harmony with the Bible's description of space. Yeah, well anyway, have a good evening, take care.
No, you just denied what has been supported by research and study. You need evidence when you make claims.

And why bring Einstein into it? I would like to know what you had a problem with and how you think that it jibes with the Bible. You may be reading into the Bible. Not reading out of it.

YoursTrue

It is a story. A story that includes historical information. History is extracted/constructed from such stories.

More on historical thinking and method:

Historical Truth

Source criticism - Wikipedia
The question comes up as to how do you think all those historical figures (specifically the kings, their offspring and incidents, good and bad) were written about. You think it was all made up?

YoursTrue

No, you just denied what has been supported by research and study. You need evidence when you make claims.

So do you. You bring nothing essentially but your own viewpoint. The research and study says nothing about the reality (meaning verifiable facts) about the first organisms and their growth on this earth.

And why bring Einstein into it? I would like to know what you had a problem with and how you think that it jibes with the Bible. You may be reading into the Bible. Not reading out of it.
I brought Einstein into it because with all his innovative thinking, I have been reading a few things about him, he may have unwittingly agreed with what the Bible said insofar as the fabric of the universe.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So do you. You bring nothing essentially but your own viewpoint. The research and study says nothing about the reality (meaning verifiable facts) about the first organisms and their growth on this earth.

Actually it does, but you refuse to even learn the bare basics of science. When you are ready to learn the basics we can do that. Then we can discuss abiogenesis.

I brought Einstein into it because with all his innovative thinking, I have been reading a few things about him, he may have unwittingly agreed with what the Bible said insofar as the fabric of the universe.

He thought that the Bible was largely superstitious claptrap. That does not mean that he would not be able to find a few good things in it.

YoursTrue

Why would you disagree with scholars? Scholars get in trouble if they are obviously biased. Scholars can tell you why they believe what they believe. You do not appear to be able to do that . You do not even appear to have any reliable sources.
Well-educated people don't even agree with each other. While I find it interesting, it is also notable to me that the rather detailed history in the Bible shows that the nation God made a covenant with in the wilderness was often at odds with Him then, and as the centuries wore on. He was not happy with them very often.

YoursTrue

Actually it does, but you refuse to even learn the bare basics of science. When you are ready to learn the basics we can do that. Then we can discuss abiogenesis.

He thought that the Bible was largely superstitious claptrap. That does not mean that he would not be able to find a few good things in it.
lol, not going to say anything here -- lest you bring up Miller-Urey? :) HE, meaning Einstein, probably did not read the Bible much, he was a secular Jew from a non-religious home, so he probably wouldn't have known what it said regarding the theory of relativity. He did not say he was an atheist. Something held him in. And I don't blame him. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
lol, not going to say anything here -- lest you bring up Miller-Urey? :) HE, meaning Einstein, probably did not read the Bible much, he was a secular Jew from a non-religious home, so he probably wouldn't have known what it said regarding the theory of relativity. He did not say he was an atheist. Something held him in. And I don't blame him. :)
And you just demonstrated a complete lack of understanding what science is and what evidence is. Like it or not the Miller-Urey experiment is evidence for abiogenesis. It answers one of the problems. It is not "proof" since it is only one small piece of evidence in a very complex problem. You keep conflating evidence with "proof". Now the fact is that abiogenesis is almost certainly how life began. We do have scientific evidence for that. We do not have scientific evidence for magic.