1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The Bible - Why Trust It

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by nPeace, Jul 8, 2018.

1. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,875
    Interesting to say that 'much of the Bible is political' because some people in the first century were looking for a political Messiah to free them from oppression. So, how disappointed they were in Jesus because as King (political) of God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 Jesus did Not take political action in the first century.

• Like Like x 1
  2. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,875
    The ^ above ^ also reminded me of Hebrews 3:8-11 how the people after leaving Egypt grieved God's heart by hardening their hearts toward God. They lacked faith in His word - Hebrews 3:12,19

• Like Like x 2
  3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,805

Shrugs. Talking with god directly sounds more powerful. Scriptures can be burnt or go obstelete. Communication with god cannot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None
    "Skeptics attack"

Not a chance that a seruous scholar or sincere amateur
    might be curious or questioning.

No.

SKEPTICS ATTACK!!!!!!!!!

5. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,875
    Yes, I find even Scripture directs us to pray ( talk ) with God directly. No middle man needed to pray to address God.
    We just go to God through Jesus - John 14:6 - meaning because Jesus is the central key to fulfilling God's purpose.
    True, Scripture (paper) is perishable, but even throughout the many centuries Bible enemies from both within and without No one can get rid of Scripture. All that banning and trying to destroy Scripture has proven un-successful because God backs His Word. There is No way Scripture will go obsolete. We are seeing fulfillment before our very eyes. We are at the ' final phase ' of Matthew 24:14 with the international proclaiming about God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44. We are also nearing the ' final signal ', so to speak, of 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 when 'they' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security..." as the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will be the one to usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None
    Absolutely.

That is how the genre "historical fiction" is done. You
    are not addressing a first grade class. Show some class,
    and dont act like you are. You wont like how your audience
    reacts if you do.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,049
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Archaeology isn't my thing but I understand that there is some degree of concordance between the existence of historical figures and the bible from the Babylonian period onwards. Trying to extrapolate what we know then conclude its all literally true from the beginning to genesis doesn't work for most people with an interest in science and history. in fact it turns many people off Christianity. Regardless, I personally believe that Moses was a real person and that many if not all the of the laws recorded in the Torah were from Moses. However other than comparative religion I don't believe there is a shred of scientific evidence in support. I suspect that many of the stories of the Torah were passed down orally and first written down during the Babylonian exile period. That's my best guess.

I believe Jesus was the Jewish Messiah not because of any archaeological evidence or convincing proofs about prophecy, though I can argue prophecy along with all the other diehards and fundamentalists. Its simply what I grew up with. I've found through experience that believing in Jesus and applying His teachings to my life makes me a better person.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,825
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Problem here on your scapegoats you call skeptics, The discoveries over the past several hundred years have confirmed some historical events and people described in the Bible, The Bible is a collection of narratives set in history. They will of course contain historical facts just like any ancient literature from many cultures. These facts do nothing support the Bible as a divinely revealed literal book, nor that it is completely historically accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None
    Would you call it a history if you read that Napoleon helped Lincoln
    to win the US civil war?

That is at least sort of could have happened if...

Six day poof, flood, exodus, babel?

"History"?

Surely you're joking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None
    By far most of earth is uninhabitable
    or marginal.

Go sit under a coconut tree.

Who knows, it might wake you up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +8,805
    You kinda see the contradiction in your statement???

Yes, I find even Scripture directs us to pray ( talk ) with God directly. No middle man needed to pray to address God....​

Physical scripture is perishable. What would christians and bahai do (dont know about muslim), do, if all sacred scripture just poofed from existence?

Most other god-faiths talk to god directly. I know he cant be known in a literal way, but he can with full body interaction.

I mean, when I pray to my aunt, I do have her ashes and picture. I would be terribly upset if someone knock the ashes. Im really that close to her

And...the ashes are parishable. The relationship is between the person (and god) not the earthly things about then. The ashes are my aunts body but, like all of us, we die.

So, building a relationship with god rids the attachment to scripture. When god is all thats left, scripture is obstolete

• Like Like x 1
  12. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +8,805
    No. Paul actually did exists. The ephesians had their place among the romans. Jews exist (and still do). People still concecrate the eucharist. Its not made up. Least from an art history perspective. As for supernatural, unless you seperate that from culture, the practices still exists. Its not a fairy tale book. Just you guys make it a bit more than what it is.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,117
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Why?

14. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None

I dont need to be told that Egypt is real. The book is a semi
    hidtorical novel with a bunch of magic realism mixed in.
    It is also a fairy tale book.

The stuff about supetnatural...still exist makes no sense.

What "guys" you think I am part of is a total mystery to me.
    "Make it out to be more.."?

• Like Like x 1
  15. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,049
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Why not?

It seems plausible enough. God reveals laws to the Hebrew people to enabled them to establish themselves on the land God promised Abraham. The laws though not applicable now would make sense several thousand years ago for a relatively primitive people by todays standards. The NT, Quran, and Baha'i writings all affirm the narrative and laws to some extent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,117
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Never mind ...

17. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +8,805
    Usually we know a lot of things in history books we learned elsewhere. I never know that Ephesians were a group of people. Nor did I galations. I thought the bible was just "a religious book". Then, as I compared it to other things, the events and people arent made up.

It is just like any other book. Religion does not make it more mystical than reading about a fiction book based on a true story.

It is not that special.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Religion:
    None
    Its a mix of stuff and withal, the most overrated and
    overstudied book ever, unless its the koran takes
    that sorry prize.

Is there something to disagree about?

19. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,117
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Rubbish.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Unveiled Artist

Ratings:
    +8,805
    Ive just read it and studied some of its history and the people who wrote it. I have no personal ties, issues, nor sacred connections, nor inspiration from the book. It does have history. Over/under studied, its our culture (american) to pound to death that scripture Must be fact. We have on our magazine rack at my local grocery store "proof of the bible" with archelogical findings and picture as its headline cover.

But the book does have history apart from the glamorization of it.

EDIT start from the Catholic Church. The bible isnt idolated from the historical events surrounding it.