• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

Audie

Veteran Member

You seem fond of saying that, with no explanation.

But then your statement is no more true than is
your trashy accusation that I am an anti -semite
racist, so of course you cant explain it.

Take your garbage elsewhere , you wont
get another response from me.

Audie

Veteran Member
Ive just read it and studied some of its history and the people who wrote it. I have no personal ties, issues, nor sacred connections, nor inspiration from the book. It does have history. Over/under studied, its our culture (american) to pound to death that scripture Must be fact. We have on our magazine rack at my local grocery store "proof of the bible" with archelogical findings and picture as its headline cover.

But the book does have history apart from the glamorization of it.
I read it through years ago. Boring.

Audie

Veteran Member
Oh. I thought you were serious about this. Its not a light read. It is what it is.

I am no bible student.

Dont know why you want to bother

Ever happen to look at the associated religion in terms of
cultural appropriation and cultural imperialism?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am no bible student.

Dont know why you want to bother

Ever happen to look at the associated religion in terms of
cultural appropriation and cultural imperialism?

Religious studies cover all that. Its not bias. Im looking more into The Buddha Dharma. If you think the bible has mythological stories, read the suttas. They make the bible very small compared.

Cultural appropriation is in, Id say, all religions. Its not a bad thing as you guys make it out to be. Its not unique.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Scripture is an historical book. How do you express the same truth if god exists apart from scripture?
I think God does exist apart from scripture.
Business men exist apart from the letters they write. However, they can convey what they want to be known through the letters. Now we have email, which is faster, and less costly.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.
Who's used such an argument? I haven't come across it, though I'd expect to. What's a real example?
The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.
That should read, 'If they lived at that time and place and had the rank or importance or political impacts attributed to them then given the volume of records we have for that time and place their failure to get a mention makes it likely at that their importance was exaggerated and may raise the question whether they existed at all'.

If of course there are very few known records of that time and place, that particular argument is not available.
So what? The James Bond books accurately reflect the geography of London, the Bahamas and other places, and correctly allude to historical and political figures.

And as the bible says, there were indeed pharaohs in ancient Egypt, even though the case against an historical Moses is strong. And neither Moses nor (in person or by his magicians) Pharaoh, ever turned the Nile to real blood (&c).

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think God does exist apart from scripture.
Business men exist apart from the letters they write. However, they can convey what they want to be known through the letters. Now we have email, which is faster, and less costly.

Hmm. Good point. Business people Need to write letters to communicate. Gods been communicating with followers for years. Jesus prayed to god. Moses brought an oral law.

Message is more important than the medium used. Its so important that it surpassed the medium as The Voice to the believer.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Much of the Bible is political and/or etiological. As with most folk tales, it is laced with history, but to take the presence of such historical tidbits as evidence of some supernatural claim is simply moronic.
Our opinion can't stand up against what has been shown, proven to be true. I like how it was put in the video.
We don't expect every single detail in the Bible to be found, but every single detail found has been verified to be true.

That should be evidence for most to realize that we are looking at clear evidence that the Bible is reliable - but we don't expect that.
Even without the external evidence there is so much more that shows it is truthful. Yet we don't expect most will be convinced by that either.

Milton Platt

Part 1 - Historically Accurate

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.

The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.

Archaeology Confirms 50 Real People in the Bible

Add one more to the list.
Tattenai, also called Sisinnes, (flourished c. 6th–5th century BCE), Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River (eber nāri, “beyond the river”) during the reign of Darius I (522–486 BCE).
According to the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) Book of Ezra, Tattenai led an investigation into the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem about 519 BCE. He sent a report to Darius, who responded with instructions to allow the work to proceed. Tattenai is one of the few Persian officials mentioned in the Hebrew Bible for whom there is independent attestation; he is mentioned in a cuneiform tablet dated 502 BCE.

Tattenai
Tattenai (or Tatnai or Sisinnes) was a Biblical character and a Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River during the time of Zerubbabel and the reign of Darius I.

He is best known for questioning King Darius in regard to the rebuilding of a temple for the Lord, God of Israel. He was generally friendly to the Jews.The rebuilding was being led by Jeshua, son of Jozadak, and Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and had been issued by King Cyrus I. Tattenai wrote a letter to King Darius to ask of these statements were true, and then King Darius wrote a letter confirming that the statements were true. In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.

Babylonian Cuneiform inscriptions
A number of cuneiform tablets bearing the name Tattenai have survived as part of what may have been a family archive. The tablet that links one member of this family to the Bible character is a promissory note dated to the 20th year of Darius I, 502 BC. It identifies a witness to the transaction as a servant of “Tattannu, governor of Across-the-River”. The clay tablet can be dated to June 5, 502 B.C. exactly.

Name
The Name Tattenai (ושתני), probably derived from the Persian name Ustanu, a word found in Zoroastrian scriptures to mean "teaching" though to the Hebrews it was indistinguishable from an expression of the verb נתן natan, meaning "to give". In 1 Esdras he is called Sisinnes.

Biblical texts
Ezra 1:1-4; 4:4-16; 5:3-7.

Tattenai meaning

Argument from silence DEBUNKED
CONFIRMED
: The Bible - Historically Accurate

There are science fiction books that reference actual places and characters. Should I assume the rest of the book is real as well? What you need is evidence that miracles were performed and a man named Jesus rose from the grave.

Audie

Veteran Member
Religious studies cover all that. Its not bias. Im looking more into The Buddha Dharma. If you think the bible has mythological stories, read the suttas. They make the bible very small compared.

Cultural appropriation is in, Id say, all religions. Its not a bad thing as you guys make it out to be. Its not unique.
Sheesh, who is talking bias or buddhism?
No "bad thing" or one of "you guys" here, you got me confused with someone
elsd maybe.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Who's used such an argument? I haven't come across it, though I'd expect to. What's a real example?
That should read, 'If they lived at that time and place and had the rank or importance or political impacts attributed to them then given the volume of records we have for that time and place their failure to get a mention makes it likely at that their importance was exaggerated and may raise the question whether they existed at all'.

If of course there are very few known records of that time and place, that particular argument is not available.
So what? The James Bond books accurately reflect the geography of London, the Bahamas and other places, and correctly allude to historical and political figures.

And as the bible says, there were indeed pharaohs in ancient Egypt, even though the case against an historical Moses is strong. And neither Moses nor (in person or by his magicians) Pharaoh, ever turned the Nile to real blood (&c).
The details are not only in location, but details in specific events which really did take place, and are verified - accurately.
Apart from that, the timing of the events also coincide.

If these things add up, then the books and characters in question are verified to be real accounts and people - not fictional

nPeace

Veteran Member

This would explain why one feels they are talking to God directly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sheesh, who is talking bias or buddhism?
No "bad thing" or one of "you guys" here, you got me confused with someone
elsd maybe.

Hmm. Not sure if you follow comparisons and examples in conversation that support a topic without it being the subject of discussion.

You guys refers to more than one person. You have an idea that the bible is less of a history book and more supernatural. Some nonbelievers (some -nonbelievers- not specifically you) tend to have a literal view of scripture. Believers do as well.

Both of you-guys tend to make the supernatural important when discussing the nature of scripture. History and mythology books dont work that way.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
True in my case also.

That's good were both followers of Christ. I follow a more circumspect approach in considering the historical validity of the OT. It doesn't detract from my faith in the slightest and makes discussions more mutually respectful. All the best fending off the sceptics and cynics.:)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The details are not only in location, but details in specific events which really did take place, and are verified - accurately.
Apart from that, the timing of the events also coincide.
But you made a specific claim in the OP, and now you seem to be saying the reason I haven't heard of it is that it doesn't really happen. That's ─ ahm ─ peculiar.
If these things add up, then the books and characters in question are verified to be real accounts and people - not fictional
For historical purposes, the books of the bible are each to be examined like any other ancient text: where and when, by whom, for what reason, was it written? How close in time is it to the events it reports? Is the text authentic? Complete? Added to or otherwise edited or changed? What influences and traditions does it show? Is there independent verification of any of its claims? How credible should we think it is in the light of what we presently know otherwise? (And so on.)

Reasonable enough way to proceed, don't you think?

nPeace

Veteran Member
That's good were both followers of Christ. I follow a more circumspect approach in considering the historical validity of the OT. It doesn't detract from my faith in the slightest and makes discussions more mutually respectful. All the best fending off the sceptics and cynics.:)
:thumbsup: