• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The answer "I dont know"

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it so difficult to say, i dont know when you are in the middle of a discussion?
Does it matter that you can not answer a question? Does it mean when you say, i do not know, that you are less worth then others?

Or is it as simple answer to this that it means you just have more to learn?

Dont be afraid of not knowing :)
Even in popular culture it is highlighted that the beginning of wisdom starts with the simple phrase, "I do not know".

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it so difficult to say, i dont know when you are in the middle of a discussion?
Does it matter that you can not answer a question? Does it mean when you say, i do not know, that you are less worth then others?

I also think it is important to keep in mind what we do know.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

This isn't how internet forums work.

Everyone is an authority on every subject, and if they're not already, a Google search makes them one.

Rational Agnostic

Because in debates/discussions, most people don't actually care about discovering the truth. They only care about stroking their own egos.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

Those three words: "I dont know", have led to some of the most fascinating discussions of my life. Those words have opened professional doors and have allowed me access to more meaningful relationships. Of course you have to add a bit to it: "I don't know, can you please show me/explain your idea/etc?" :D

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
Wh

Dont be afraid of not knowing :)[/QUOTE

Great point and I agree with always more learn and discern. When I don’t know something, I like to say, “I have no clue!”

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Cool.

Here's what I'm wondering:

Is the specific thread/post that triggered @Amanaki's question? And if so, why didn't @Amanaki address it in that thread while it was occurring?
To answer your questions @dybmh :) if i was to ask that or say to others it's ok to say i dont know :) i have a feeling i could make it a full time job :) i would maybe do something like that before. But i think a separat OP is better in the long fun.

You know, sometimes i feel Odd in this forum because of all my strange questions :) but that is who i am. Asking Strange questions is how i do it in daily life too.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's can be a bit of a conversation stopper.

Also, I think we don't need to say it if it is assumed. Like; "I don't know, but maybe it's like this ...". The "I don't know" is already implied by the "maybe", and so does not need to be stated.
My question was more toward if we really do not know the answer, should we guess because we want to be a part of the conversation? Or just say, sorry i dont know the answer to this question:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'm always in the state of ignorance whether it's my choice, my illness, or just knowing that I am right but others have more "communication skills" that sometimes makes me doubt that I am. So, if I say I know it's a pretty big thing. If I say I don't know, I really have to assess the context of it. Is it something I don't know cause I "lost time" and need to back track or is it really something that doesn't add to my life even if I knew it. Deciphering what to stay ignorant about is kinda hard but I try to give myself benefit for not saying I don't know automatically until I assess if that's the case or just falling in to my habit of letting others assume they know more than me.

I think saying I don't know assumes the person may think he is dumb. Other times I think it's a psychological idea of giving in means the other person is winning. Kind of like the brain can't tell the difference in the context in which it feels threatened. So, saying I dont know is like backing oneself in the corner-one can attack/be defensive or run/stay silent or just let go the energy by saying I don't know and let it be.

PureX

Veteran Member
My question was more toward if we really do not know the answer, should we guess because we want to be a part of the conversation? Or just say, sorry i dont know the answer to this question:)
To just accept our ignorance is a sure way of staying ignorant. To speculate, fantasize, prognosticate, guess, and then banter back and forth about it is how we humans usually find some sense of understanding, even if we're wrong. And we're not always wrong.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To just accept our ignorance is a sure way of staying ignorant. To speculate, fantasize, prognosticate, guess, and then banter back and forth about it is how we humans usually find some sense of understanding, even if we're wrong. And we're not always wrong.
So the answer could be " i do not know, but i want to learn it, so i can answer in the future"

PearlSeeker

"I don't know" is already inherent in phrases like imo... , I think... , it seems... , maybe...

syo

There are numerous christian denominations that i don't know about and i don't care to know. :cool:

leroy

In my experience with atheist/agnostics/ naturalists etc….. “I don’t know” means “I don’t know how it happened, but I am sure that there must be a natural explanation”

LAGoff

On the big questions, 'nature' abhors a vacuum. We 'have' to have an 'answer' for every big question because they are too important to just leave them hanging.
On most of these questions we will have come to a conclusion-- even if it's unconsciously.
For example, on free will versus determinism, I hold onto the position that I am not a robot. Anyone who 'debates' me will get both barrels. It's on the jihad level. I DO know! It's just that my debating skills suck. But instead of saying the best debater wins, many bemoan that this is the way it usually is (i.e. that the most intelligent usually wins any debate)
So just accept that he's smarter than you (which doesn't neccesarily make him right), and that life is not fair, and that you KNOW you are right but he has the higher IQ so he -- technically -- wins the debate.
The alternative-- that I launch a jihad on his *** -- can't be the way to go-- because I believe in a God who commands me (through Revelation) not to 'cancel' him because he is in the image of God and he won fair and square by using the God-given talents that God gave him.
The fact that he can win in a debate with me that there is no God, hence no Revelation, hence no image of God, etc. should lead me to amusement, not bemoan-ment. This is the way God set up nature. IQ matters in formal debates.
Just listen to a debate with someone [much] smarter than you that holds your position. That may also help take the win at all costs jihad-edge off.