• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing World Of Buying & Selling Art

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
to paint his paintings for him

I think it strange the long established practice of "assistants" carrying out work for the artist; most typically painting the background of a portrait. And today conceptual artists seem more akin to project managers in their actions.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Degenerate art" wasn't a great idea either.
One of the first things fascist governments do is ban art, and try to replace it with their propaganda. And they do this because art is the arena of human activity that is most devoted to humanity's perception of itself. It is the "mirror" in which we see ourselves for what we really are. And governments that want to hide behind false images and ideals while perpetrating criminal acts against their own people have to put a stop to that means of self-reflection to get away with their destructive deeds.

This is something perhaps we ought to keep in mind when we are insulting and degrading our artists for testing the limits of our cultural biases and mores. Keeping in mind that this is one of their most fundamental purposes, and essential services, to the rest of us. We may not like it, but that doesn't mean we don't still need it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it strange the long established practice of "assistants" carrying out work for the artist; most typically painting the background of a portrait. And today conceptual artists seem more akin to project managers in their actions.
I wouldn't take that claim at face value.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Post #53.
No, I have no knowledge of that. I was simply referring to the long established practice of using assistants. No fraud is intended.

I know you like a link. :)

"The use of multiple assistants dates back to the Renaissance era, where large-scale projects were relatively common. Michelangelo had assistants to help him paint backgrounds on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican between 1508 and 1512, and artists such as Peter Paul Rubens and Rembrandt did the same."

- Art Demystified: Why Artists Use Studio Assistants - artnet News

It isn't just large scale either as I alluded to.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I have no knowledge of that. I was simply referring to the long established practice of using assistants. No fraud is intended.

I know you like a link. :)

"The use of multiple assistants dates back to the Renaissance era, where large-scale projects were relatively common. Michelangelo had assistants to help him paint backgrounds on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican between 1508 and 1512, and artists such as Peter Paul Rubens and Rembrandt did the same."

- Art Demystified: Why Artists Use Studio Assistants - artnet News
A way to view creation of art is that it's not about the
skill of the artist to replicate reality by brush or chisel.
It's about the vision, which could be executed by
tradesmen.
I'm thinking of the best example being industrial design.
The designer never makes the product....they just create
the design.
Tiffany comes to mind too.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
A way to view creation of art is that it's not about the
skill of the artist to replicate reality by brush or chisel.
It's about the vision, which could be executed by
tradesmen.
I'm thinking of the best example being industrial design.
The designer never makes the product....they just create
the design.
Tiffany comes to mind too.
I agree; skill can also be a factor, depending upon the medium/media.

PureX

Veteran Member
I wouldn't take that claim at face value.
It's interesting that when discussing housing and real estate issues, your knowledge and experience trumps anyone else's asserted opinions. Yet when discussing art, your LACK of knowledge and experience still trumps anyone else's actual knowledge and experience.

Why is that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's interesting that when discussing housing and real estate issues, your knowledge and experience trumps anyone else's asserted opinions. Yet when discussing art, your LACK of knowledge and experience still trumps anyone else's actual knowledge and experience.
I offer my direct experience regarding real estate economics.
I claim little about art.
You offered what someone else once said to you.
Big difference, eh.

PureX

Veteran Member
I offer my direct experience regarding real estate economics.
I claim little about art.
You offered what someone else once said to you.
Big difference, eh.
I related the scenario as related to me by those who were there. If you have to work this hard to dismiss it, that's your issue.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I related the scenario as related to me by those who were there. If you have to work this hard to dismiss it, that's your issue.
The claim you heard doesn't appear to be consistent
with what I subsequently read about him. His extensive
collaborations in the art world strongly suggest that he's
respected, rather than the lazy hack your sources portrayed.
So I remain skeptical.

PureX

Veteran Member
The claim you heard doesn't appear to be consistent
with what I subsequently read about him. His extensive
collaborations in the art world strongly suggest that he's
respected, rather than the lazy hack your sources portrayed.
So I remain skeptical.
What he is nowadays in the art world I neither know nor care. Nor does it matter to the point I was making by posting. From what I saw online his work hasn't changed in 40 years. And it wasn't very good to begin with. It's derivative, simplistic, and predictable. Though, I will say I have seen worse. And his prices are relatively cheap compared to the artist's works that he's imitating/emulating. So I suppose that's his market niche. But overall, I'm not impressed. I wonder if he's still paying students peanuts to paint them for him?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What he is nowadays in the art world I neither know nor care. Nor does it matter to the point I was making by posting. From what I saw online his work hasn't changed in 40 years. And it wasn't very good to begin with. It's derivative, simplistic, and predictable. Though, I will say I have seen worse. And his prices are relatively cheap compared to the artist's works that he's imitating/emulating. So I suppose that's his market niche. But overall, I'm not impressed. I wonder if he's still paying students peanuts to paint them for him?
I suppose the thing to do is agree that a lot of "art" is just crappola (IMO).
But being a highly subjective matter of personal taste & knowledge, I just
can't criticize it all that much.

PureX

Veteran Member
I suppose the thing to do is agree that a lot of "art" is just crapola (IMO).
A lot of what people call "art" is, indeed, crapola. It's just the nature of the endeavor. BUT, when it's the real thing, and it's well done, it's really something amazing, and special. But I'm biased, of course.

Check out the 'images' page for a sculptor named H.C. Westerman. An amazing fellow, and an amazing body of work. A WW2 and Korean War vet, a professional acrobat, and a most unlikely artist. But in my view, an excellent one.

2f5f9f5a9d3ab1c80f298e60ea50a32c.jpg