• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing World Of Buying & Selling Art

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Mine are violet....the visible ones, that is.
There are many varieties. In the visible category, I've probably seen 20 different ones or so around the neighbourhood. The other one I bought has larger petals, or whatever the smaller tiny parts are called on a lilac, odd purple blended into white, named Sensation French. In the invisible category, there are thousands. My favourites are the glowing orange climber ones that don't need roots.

PureX

Veteran Member
Years ago, a guy named Kostabi hired art students for minimum wage to paint his paintings for him. Then he'd show them in fancy New York art galleries with inflated price tags on them, and when someone would come along interested in buying one, Kostabi would insult them and tell them they were fools. But the buyers presumed that the insults were all part of the "schtick". Meaning that the artist was really doing a kind of 'performance piece' and the painting was really just a prop. They thought this was very inventive, and 'socially aware', so they bought the (bad) paintings and couldn't wait to tell all their rich friends that they'd been insulted by Kostabi and paid thousands of dollars for one of his bad hired-out paintings.

So was Kostabi just a huckster and a prick? Or was he some sort of modern art genius? My guess is that he's a little bit of both and a lot of neither. Most real artists see him as a waste of everyone's time, including his own. But then again, he's been surviving as an artist for decades, and very few real artists can make that claim. In the world of fine art marketing being a prick, a huckster, and even a fool, can be quite an asset. Whereas just being smart, honest, and talented will get you nowhere.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Years ago, a guy named Kostabi hired art students for minimum wage to paint his paintings for him. Then he'd show them in fancy New York art galleries with inflated price tags on them, and when someone would come along interested in buying one, Kostabi would insult them and tell them they were fools. But the buyers presumed that the insults were all part of the "schtick". Meaning that the artist was really doing a kind of 'performance piece' and the painting was really just a prop. They thought this was very inventive, and 'socially aware', so they bought the (bad) paintings and couldn't wait to tell all their rich friends that they'd been insulted by Kostabi and paid thousands of dollars for one of his bad hired-out paintings.

So was Kostabi just a huckster and a prick? Or was he some sort of modern art genius? My guess is that he's a little bit of both and a lot of neither. Most real artists see him as a waste of everyone's time, including his own. But then again, he's been surviving as an artist for decades, and very few real artists can make that claim. In the world of fine art marketing being a prick, a huckster, and even a fool, can be quite an asset. Whereas just being smart, honest, and talented will get you nowhere.
This article didn't mention your claims.
Mark Kostabi - Wikipedia
Any links?

PureX

Veteran Member
This article didn't mention your claims.
Mark Kostabi - Wikipedia
Any links?
I heard about it back in the late 80s. In art marketing terms that's pre-historic. I have no idea how long the "schtick" lasted. Maybe he's still doing it. Who knows? The point is that there is a lot of precedent for these kinds of "theoretical" artworks that involve as much theater as they do actual physical substance. Andy Warhol comes to mind. John Cage. Marcel Duchamp. Many of the Dadaists. And there are many more. Some I respect, and some I don't. But that's the nature of the beast. Art is often about exploring how we humans perceive the world we live in. And sometimes that means exploring how we perceive the art world/art market that we (or the artist) lives in. I suppose it's a valid pursuit, though the more 'incestuous' it gets the more quickly I tire of it. I was in grad school from '82 to '84, which was a time when there was a lot of this kind of stuff going on. So my tolerance for it has been pretty well used up. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I heard about it back in the late 80s. In art marketing terms that's pre-historic. I have no idea how long the "schtick" lasted. Maybe he's still doing it. Who knows? The point is that there is a lot of precedent for these kinds of "theoretical" artworks that involve as much theater as they do actual physical substance. Andy Warhol comes to mind. John Cage. Marcel Duchamp. Many of the Dadaists. And there are many more. Some I respect, and some I don't. But that's the nature of the beast. Art is often about exploring how we humans perceive the world we live in. And sometimes that means exploring how we perceive the art world/art market that we (or the artist) lives in. I suppose it's a valid pursuit, though the ore 'incestuous' I gets the more quickly I tire of it. I was in grad school from '82 to '84, which was a time when there was a lot of this kind of stuff going on. So my tolerance for it has been used up. :)
You "heard about it", eh.
Can't argue with that kind of evidence.

PureX

Veteran Member
You "heard about it", eh.
Can't argue with that kind of evidence.
I had friends who worked in the art galleries in New York that he was showing in at the time. So I'm not concerned that wiki doesn't seem to know about it. Nor that you don't seem to want to know about it.