• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Testimony, oral or written, is not evidence.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We're all aware of human nature for which sometimes people make things up and testify that something is true when it is in fact not true.

Another kind is a person may have actually witnessed something and testifies that it's true, but cannot prove it. Since it cannot be proven to others, it is not evidence until said evidence is discovered and confirmed.

This goes well with mass testimony as such as what we find with community-based religion where people testify in masse, but cannot prove it outside of the testimonials themselves.

Upon hearing, one cannot determine whether a testimonial is true or not, whether it comes from an individual or a group, until actual evidence surfaces to collaborate and confirm that testimony.

It's a reason why theists have such a difficult time because of the fact that they cannot prove something outside their own testimonials.

It will only become evidence if the evidence itself surfaces for all to see.

Until then, it is not evidence.

Some theologists understand that while others do not.

So are you one who thinks testimony is evidence, or are you one who thinks it is not evidence until the subject of the testimony presents itself in an objective manner?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Refusing to acknowledge testimonials as a form of evidence is, simply put, ridiculous. You don't have to willfully ignore types of evidence to assess forms of evidence and give them proper weight. Do better. Practice discernment, don't just ignore evidence.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We're all aware of human nature for which sometimes people make things up and testify that something is true when it is in fact not true.

Another kind is a person may have actually witnessed something and testifies that it's true, but cannot prove it. Since it cannot be proven to others, it is not evidence until said evidence is discovered and confirmed.

This goes well with mass testimony as such as what we find with community-based religion where people testify in masse, but cannot prove it outside of the testimonials themselves.

Upon hearing, one cannot determine whether a testimonial is true or not, whether it comes from an individual or a group, until actual evidence surfaces to collaborate and confirm that testimony.

It's a reason why theists have such a difficult time because of the fact that they cannot prove something outside their own testimonials.

So are you one who thinks testimony is evidence, or are you one who thinks it is not evidence until the subject of the testimony presents itself in an objective manner?
"Evidence" means various things, not just one. For instance in a court trial, testimony is legally accepted as evidence.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"In the law, testimony is a form of evidence..."

Testimony - Wikipedia.

200.gif

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think we just have to look around and see how many liars there are (and in public office) to recognise there will have been such in the past, and human nature has hardly changed so as to indicate otherwise. I think it is delusional to expect more truth from the past than we have now - and that is quite difficult to achieve even with all our modern technology and communications.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"Hearsay evidence" is still evidence but is considered less reliable that some other forms of evidence-- at least most of the time.

My approach to scripture is to treat it entirely as allegory, thus being far less concerned about "Did this really happen?", focusing instead on "What is this trying to teach me that I could possibly use today?".

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

You are confusing the words 'evidence' and 'proof'.

Eyewitness Evidence is Evidence that is considered important in court and in real life. It is not proof as it can be intentionally or unintentionally faulty.

A quantity, quality and consistency of such evidence can have me believing something beyond reasonable doubt.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can't tell if this is a joke or if you missed my point entirely.
No you're exactly on spot.

There really is no bother in regards to this thread because I have nothing else to produce but the thread itself with nothing more to show for it other than my own view.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No you're exactly on spot.

There really is no bother in regards to this thread because I have nothing else to produce but the thread itself with nothing more to show for it other than my own view.
In case you missed it though:

This thread is absolutely evidence you exist.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Proof (Hinduism): Pramana - Wikipedia

This could have been a poll. Testimony is no evidence. It is a farce, a big farce, the biggest in the world. 'Opiate of the masses', as Karl rightly said.
Practice discernment, don't just ignore evidence.
Why are you supposing that ALL PEOPLE reject things without discernment?

Last edited: