• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist offers aid to Hurricane victims

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Terrorist Offers Hurricane Aid, US Says No Thanks - Yahoo!

Pakistani founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hafiz Saeed, has offered to send food, medicine, doctors, and other aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy. The US has turned down his offer.

"We are ready to send food items, medicines and doctors to the U.S. for the people affected by the storm," said Saeed. "America [may] fix bounties on our heads but as followers of the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him), we feel it is our Islamic duty to help Americans trapped in a catastrophe." Saeed noted that the charity he heads had provided aid in Sri Lanka and Indonesia after the 2004 tsunami.

In the west, we're given this view that Islamic terrorists are completely evil, not capable of good, and worldwide banes to peace and safety. In the Islamic world, however, many see them as freedom fighters, attempting to protect their way of life from what they see as foreign intrusions.

I found this article interesting, because it completely destroys certain ideas we're given, especially here in the states, about Islamic terrorists. I'm not supporting their actions, but maybe their ideas aren't actually bad ideas. I find nothing wrong with wanting to protect one's way of life, ideas, religion, worldview, and mindset, but I do think they could go about it better.

We've been offered aid by one of the most wanted terrorists in the US. How does this make you feel? Does this change the way you might view Islamic terrorists? Does this change your view of that part of the world? Or, is it all moot to you?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Pakistani founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hafiz Saeed, has offered to send food, medicine, doctors, and other aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy. The US has turned down his offer.

In the west, we're given this view that Islamic terrorists are completely evil, not capable of good, and worldwide banes to peace and safety. In the Islamic world, however, many see them as freedom fighters, attempting to protect their way of life from what they see as foreign intrusions.

I found this article interesting, because it completely destroys certain ideas we're given, especially here in the states, about Islamic terrorists. I'm not supporting their actions, but maybe their ideas aren't actually bad ideas. I find nothing wrong with wanting to protect one's way of life, ideas, religion, worldview, and mindset, but I do think they could go about it better.

We've been offered aid by one of the most wanted terrorists in the US. How does this make you feel? Does this change the way you might view Islamic terrorists? Does this change your view of that part of the world? Or, is it all moot to you?

Never forget that sometimes the "way of life" an oppressor is trying to protect is -- after all -- oppressive. Offering aid might be a nice sentiment; but standing for values that would virtually enslave women, murder homosexuals, oppress dissent, oh, and KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE to make a statement (e.g., terrorism) is still somewhat the greater issue here.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Wow this is great and im not surprused. Belives in humanity.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Never forget that sometimes the "way of life" an oppressor is trying to protect is -- after all -- oppressive. Offering aid might be a nice sentiment; but standing for values that would virtually enslave women, murder homosexuals, oppress dissent, oh, and KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE to make a statement (e.g., terrorism) is still somewhat the greater issue here.

I'm not disagreeing that the tactics they use are wrong, but that their ideas might not be. While we can see that their lifestyles and mindset is one of basic oppression, like you brought up, the oppression of women, the murder of homosexuals, stiffle freethought, etc, how is the oppression of their people any different than the oppression of ours? They have a lifestyle and worldview that they're willing to fight for, even if some of it's ideas are wrong, just the same as we are.

A question I wanted to ask in the OP, but didn't, I'll ask here: are we really all that different? I think we are more alike than we think, even if some of our ideas are misguided, or just plain wrong. I'll disagree with ideas that are unjust in their way of life, just like I would do ours. We live in a society that oppresses the poor, the middle class, those who don't hold to conservative views, rewards the rich, upholds the importance of it's entertainers over that of it's great thinkers, etc. And certain of us won't hesitate to kill those who would disagree.

This just makes me wonder why we think we're more right than they are. It's clear they're just as capable of empathy and compassion as we are, and we're just as capable of unjust and non-virtuous deeds as they are. I see alot more similarities between the two worlds, ours and theirs, than I do differences, for better or worse.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm not disagreeing that the tactics they use are wrong, but that their ideas might not be. While we can see that their lifestyles and mindset is one of basic oppression, like you brought up, the oppression of women, the murder of homosexuals, stiffle freethought, etc, how is the oppression of their people any different than the oppression of ours? They have a lifestyle and worldview that they're willing to fight for, even if some of it's ideas are wrong, just the same as we are.

A question I wanted to ask in the OP, but didn't, I'll ask here: are we really all that different? I think we are more alike than we think, even if some of our ideas are misguided, or just plain wrong. I'll disagree with ideas that are unjust in their way of life, just like I would do ours. We live in a society that oppresses the poor, the middle class, those who don't hold to conservative views, rewards the rich, upholds the importance of it's entertainers over that of it's great thinkers, etc. And certain of us won't hesitate to kill those who would disagree.

This just makes me wonder why we think we're more right than they are. It's clear they're just as capable of empathy and compassion as we are, and we're just as capable of unjust and non-virtuous deeds as they are. I see alot more similarities between the two worlds, ours and theirs, than I do differences, for better or worse.

I agree that our society is fundamentally unjust; but I don't count myself among them in those regards. I don't support values that oppress, so I have a soapbox to stand on and point at this terrorist and American greedy slobs. I may live here, but the sins of American hypercapitalism aren't mine. I condemn them just as much.

I see the similarities between the wickedness, too; but not in a tu quoque sort of way -- as an outsider, looking at both systems of rottenness with disgust.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

There are many other trustworthy organizations willing to offer aid. This disaster was not a fraction of the devastation and tragedy of Hurricane Katrina, yet we managed on our own, with help from those we can trust. It's not a matter of pride; I don't believe the intentions of Hafiz Saeed are without a cost at some point. It's about time we stopped climbing into bed with the devil, especially when the devil has little to offer except self-aggrandizement.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This is obviously grandstanding by a person who wants to kill Hindus and Jews. Thanks but no thanks.

Just want to say one thing, I personally met people of Lask-e-Taeba when I am a teen boy, they live near my old house, now i left that house.

I never found a single thing for which you can call them terrorist.. I donot know what is the procedure of calling any one terririst , most poeple say it just by wathcing news. I had also studied few of their literature and does not find any single statement for which you can call them terrorist.

They usually help people, and never ever said in their speech to kill innocent people. Not sure why people are saying this to them.

By the way, I donot belong to their party nor ever visited their leaders just write what ever i see in some of their party workers, they are so nice. I think if you ever meet them you will never believe what they are and what you thinking about them. Usually, they help people beyond even some time relatives.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never demonized "terrorists" in the first place. The individuals behind that nasty label are simply yet another representation of human diversity in my eyes, and demonizing them happens because an outsider is projecting a value judgement onto them. They are what they are. People.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Osama bin Laden was our friend because he offered something; the Taliban were our friend because they offered something; Saddam Hussein was our friend because he offered something. "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes", Aeneid II, 49: "I fear the Greeks, even those bearing gifts" (apologies to my Greek friends ;)).

RitalinO.D.

Or they made this grand offer, knowing full well the US would deny the aid, in an attempt to alter the worldly perception of this group. Doesn't seem too outlandish an idea to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've never demonized "terrorists" in the first place. The individuals behind that nasty label are simply yet another representation of human diversity in my eyes, and demonizing them happens because an outsider is projecting a value judgement onto them. They are what they are. People.

Exactly. If you look beyond the brutal oppression of women and homosexuals, the suicide bombings of civilian targets and the acid thrown at female school children, you'll see that they're just like your good-natured next door neighbors.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
A meaningless gesture from a man with a 10 million dollar bounty on his head.
All he did was make the news. I sincerely doubt the offer was genuine.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Wow am I the only one with faith in humanity?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly. If you look beyond the brutal oppression of women and homosexuals, the suicide bombings of civilian targets and the acid thrown at female school children, you'll see that they're just like your good-natured next door neighbors.

Perhaps missing the point of what I said. Doesn't negate the fact that they're still people. I accept that brutality and violence are part of nature, including humans. Doesn't mean I like it, but I don't sit here and pretend the people who do these things are somehow not human or worthy of any respect or consideration, nor am I going to sit here and pretend they're utterly incapable of behaviors other than those of violence and brutality.

Iti oj said:
Wow am I the only one with faith in humanity?

No. But to me it is not so much about "faith in humanity" as it is about what I wrote above. I have faith that people will be people, all of their violent and peaceful glory.

Atman

Very well put. Most men are capable of some good to certain select groups of people, but that does not make them a "good person" per se. Hitler, no doubt loved his friends and his family, and his fellow German people, but his hatred for those he declared to be “Non-Aryans[FONT=&quot]”[/FONT], and the subsequent genocide he inflicted on such groups of people still make him a terrible human being.

As previously mentioned by BSM1 Lakshar-e-Taiba has declared jihad on Hindus and Jews, believing them to be the enemies of Islam. The men behind this organization are certainly not good people.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Very well put. Most men are capable of some good to certain select groups of people, but that does not make them a "good person" per se. Hitler, no doubt loved his friends and his family, and his fellow German people, but his hatred for those he declared to be “Non-Aryans[FONT=&quot]”[/FONT], and the subsequent genocide he inflicted on such groups of people still make him a terrible human being.

As previously mentioned by BSM1 Lakshar-e-Taiba has declared jihad on Hindus and Jews, believing them to be the enemies of Islam. The men behind this organization are certainly not good people.

Exactly.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, I forget sometimes that there are people in this world who believe there is such a thing as "good people" and "evil people." My non-dual worldview blinds me sometimes to these things. :shrug: