• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist Attack in Oslo, Norway

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Now it looks like it may not have been related to anything but politics.

It's really too early to say.
As mentioned it would appear that the man arrested by the police was an extreme nationalist, but this information has yet to be confirmed.

I would say though that the government, the police and the hospitals/ambulance services have all acted admirably and has handled this situation in an excellent and professional manner.

Both the prime minister and the media has done their best to dampen any premature speculation and have potentially adverted backlash reactions towards any groups or individuals.

Rakhel

True.
I must admit I am somewhat relieved that the person they have arrested is an ethnic Norwegian and a Norwegian citizen.
Hopefully we can avoid any undue violence against more innocent people because of faultily and ignorantly placed blame.
I hope so, because the reports I'm getting are suggesting some thing else

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I hope so, because the reports I'm getting are suggesting some thing else

I'm not currently in Oslo myself, but the Norwegian media has reported no attacks or violence directed at innocent people thus far.
That is not to say that it hasn't or can't happen.
I just hope people will keep a cool head even in these extreme circumstances and let the police do their job.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I'm glad your ok jarofthoughts,very shocking and very sad day for Norway and my thoughts go out to those who have lost,i too hope people keep a cool head and do not jump toconclusions.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
From what I have been reading, it sounds more like a "Timothy McVeigh" attack than an outside threat.

My thoughts are with all the victims and their families.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I never know what to say about horrible things like this. I had a whole post filled up and then I decided not to post it. I never understand why humans hurt, maim, torture, or kill other people. It makes me feel so sad and angry at the same time.
Because they don't know what else to do perhaps? To them, I imagine that it's the best thing they can think of to do. They probably don't see any other options. They probably don't feel like they've been listened to previously, so they have to resort to measures like this to be heard.

At least, those would be the reasons I would do it (though, probably not the ONLY reasons).

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Because they don't know what else to do perhaps? To them, I imagine that it's the best thing they can think of to do. They probably don't see any other options. They probably don't feel like they've been listened to previously, so they have to resort to measures like this to be heard.

At least, those would be the reasons I would do it (though, probably not the ONLY reasons).

Norway is a very democratic society with high regard for freedom of speech.
Anyone is free to front their opinions however they see fit in a non-violent manner.
No-one has the right to demand that other people listen to them or take their opinions to heart.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Norway is a very democratic society with high regard for freedom of speech.
Anyone is free to front their opinions however they see fit in a non-violent manner.
No-one has the right to demand that other people listen to them or take their opinions to heart.
That may be so, but that doesn't mean that this person feels this way.

I'm just suggesting what the reasons might be that people do these things. I may very well act in a similar way if I knew all the things that he knew, if I experienced all the things he did, if I had the same upbringing he did.

"I never understand why humans hurt, maim, torture, or kill other people. It makes me feel so sad and angry at the same time."
I was just offering some reasons, explanations.

I'm not absolving him of any responsibility, and I'm not trying to say that these are excuses. I'm curious as to why he chose not to do something else. Why specifically this? Empathy is the first step to understanding. If I can momentarily put myself in his shoes, I might be able to see why he did the things he did, and why other people do the things they do.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
As our prime minister said in one of the press conferences; it is known that groups like this sometimes claim responsibility for actions that they had no part in an attempt to pad their own apparent importance.
So far the indications are that this was done by a Norwegian and not by any Jihadist group.

I watched a press conference with the PM and the justice minister. My Norwegian is pretty average since spending a semester at the university in Bergen 2 years ago. I got from it that they belive the attacker was a Norwegian and that religion was not a motive.

As I understand it the maximum sentence in Norway is 20 years isn't it? even if they catch this monster he won't spend life in prison?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
This does seem to be a Timothy McVeigh copycat massacre. Anders Behring Breivik, the alleged terrorist, was apparently an anti-Muslim right-wing nut. He registered an agricultural business with the Norwegian government in order to gain access to the ammonia fertilizer that was necessary to construct the bomb with.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
That may be so, but that doesn't mean that this person feels this way.

I'm just suggesting what the reasons might be that people do these things. I may very well act in a similar way if I knew all the things that he knew, if I experienced all the things he did, if I had the same upbringing he did.

I was just offering some reasons, explanations.

I'm not absolving him of any responsibility, and I'm not trying to say that these are excuses. I'm curious as to why he chose not to do something else. Why specifically this? Empathy is the first step to understanding. If I can momentarily put myself in his shoes, I might be able to see why he did the things he did, and why other people do the things they do.

In this case the actions in question involves the cold blooded shooting of more than 80 innocent youths, all the while cheering and shouting.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
This does seem to be a Timothy McVeigh copycat massacre. Anders Behring Breivik, the alleged terrorist, was apparently an anti-Muslim right-wing nut. He registered an agricultural business with the Norwegian government in order to gain access to the ammonia fertilizer that was necessary to construct the bomb with.

This has also been confirmed.
This does NOT appear to be the result of international terrorism.
The perpetrator is a Norwegian.

Last edited: