• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist Attack in Oslo, Norway

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I watched a press conference with the PM and the justice minister. My Norwegian is pretty average since spending a semester at the university in Bergen 2 years ago. I got from it that they belive the attacker was a Norwegian and that religion was not a motive.

As I understand it the maximum sentence in Norway is 20 years isn't it? even if they catch this monster he won't spend life in prison?

The maximum sentence in Norway is 21 years, however, there is also an additional sentencing called 'containment' which is used in special cases where the danger of repeat offences is high.
Containment is used when the criminal(s) in question needs psychological treatment to avoid them being a continued danger to society, which could, in theory, last for the rest of their lives.
It is likely that 'containment' will be applied in this case.

Last edited:

Koldaramor

I am very sorry for norway public loss. May your life be spared.
Terrorism is a very bad move. I am curse to terrorism.

Marble

Rolling Marble
I believe that is perhaps a sign by Al-Quaida "We are still there", now that Osama Bin-Laden is death.
Perhaps they attempt a restart under a new name ("Helpers of Global Jihad"), Bin-Laden was worried that the many Muslim victims of Al-Quaida was giving the group a bad name and he wanted to re-name them.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I believe that is perhaps a sign by Al-Quaida "We are still there", now that Osama Bin-Laden is death.
Perhaps they attempt a restart under a new name ("Helpers of Global Jihad"), Bin-Laden was worried that the many Muslim victims of Al-Quaida was giving the group a bad name and he wanted to re-name them.

Please read the OP.
I'm continually updating it as we get information from the Norwegian media.

At the moment there is no sign that this has anything at all to do with Al-Quaida or any similar organisation.
The person arrested by the police in relation to these events is an ethnic Norwegian apparently with extreme right-wing political and nationalistic views.

idea

Question Everything

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
‘Helpers of the Global Jihad’ Claim Responsibility for Terror Attacks in Norway (UPDATE)"

Oslo Bombing Attack | Helpers of the Global Jihad | Video | Mediaite

looks like it was not a crazy right-winger after-all...

Muslim Terror – “Helpers Of the Global Jihad’ Attack Norway, 7 Dead

From your own links: "the individual has been identified as a Norwegian native and appears to have no affiliation with Islamic extremists."

Also, considering that the person arrested by the police at the scene of the crime on Utøya is a right-wing extremist I would say that it is highly likely that HotGJ is lying.
It is not unusal for organisations like this to claim responsibility for incidents they had nothing to do with, in an attempt to pad their own importance.

I repeat: There is, at this point, NO REASON to think that this is the result of international terrorism, islamistic or otherwise.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
In this case the actions in question involves the cold blooded shooting of more than 80 innocent youths, all the while cheering and shouting.
Which makes me all the more curious. I think understanding the guy is important - how else can it be prevented in the future if you don't know where it began? I am of course upset that it happened, and it's a terrible thing to HAVE happened. But that doesn't make it any less important to understand him, to know where things need to be changed to prevent something like this from happening again.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Which makes me all the more curious. I think understanding the guy is important - how else can it be prevented in the future if you don't know where it began? I am of course upset that it happened, and it's a terrible thing to HAVE happened. But that doesn't make it any less important to understand him, to know where things need to be changed to prevent something like this from happening again.

The perpetrator is currently held by the police and, I imagine, undergoing substantial interrogation.
Hopefully we will know more about his motifs at a later stage.
I'd rather not speculate too much about it given that we don't have much information at this point.

Starsoul

Truth
Many sincere Condolences for the hurt families and the victims, I hope justice is served to the bereaved and to all.

And from the palpable excitement this unfortunate event has caused, people have already started linking this incident to Alq, with some really absurd deductions of the sorts,( as if they'd be really disappointed if Alq. is not found involved, : p don't understand though how any form of terrorism is different in being distinguished by labelling it with a regional religion, lets say, as never was any terror organization ever pointed out as, not even the KKK ).

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Many sincere Condolences for the hurt families and the victims, I hope justice is served to the bereaved and to all.

Thank you.

And from the palpable excitement this unfortunate event has caused, people have already started linking this incident to Alq, with some really absurd deductions of the sorts,( as if they'd be really disappointed if Alq. is not found involved, : p don't understand though how any form of terrorism is different in being distinguished by labelling it with a regional religion, lets say, as never was any terror organization ever pointed out as, not even the KKK ).

Yes, and as I mentioned in the OP, I would ask people to refrain from making such speculations as we have very little to go on at this point.
All the information we have at the moment though, indicates that we have no reason to suspect the involvement of Alq or any similar organisation, and rather that the perpetrator was a right-wing extremist.
It is also important to note that he is an ethnic Norwegian and not a forreigner or an immigrant.

idea

Question Everything
From your own links: "the individual has been identified as a Norwegian native and appears to have no affiliation with Islamic extremists."

Also, considering that the person arrested by the police at the scene of the crime on Utøya is a right-wing extremist I would say that it is highly likely that HotGJ is lying.
It is not unusal for organisations like this to claim responsibility for incidents they had nothing to do with, in an attempt to pad their own importance.

I repeat: There is, at this point, NO REASON to think that this is the result of international terrorism, islamistic or otherwise.

sorry - I was in a rush this morning for my running group and did not read the entire thing. At least if it is just one freak it might not be a continuing battle, vs. if it is from some huge organization in which case it is the start of a war...

so sad.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
sorry - I was in a rush this morning for my running group and did not read the entire thing. At least if it is just one freak it might not be a continuing battle, vs. if it is from some huge organization in which case it is the start of a war...

so sad.

I am actually somewhat relieved that the perpetrator turned out to be a Norwegian.
That way this is less likely to lead to a polarisation of the Norwegian society.
What we need now is unity across the various cultures represented in our nation.

idea

Question Everything
What we need now is unity across the various cultures represented in our nation.

melting pots can be tricky things, but also beautiful things (so nice to have food variety / art / music / clothing variety don't you think?) prayers that the death toll will not continue to go up and for all the families involved.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
melting pots can be tricky things, but also beautiful things (so nice to have food variety / art / music / clothing variety don't you think?) prayers that the death toll will not continue to go up and for all the families involved.

The important thing right now is that whether one originates from a Muslim, Hindu, Christian or Secular background, we are all Norwegians in this, and we're all touched by this tragedy.
And as Jens Stoltenberg, our Prime Minister said; We now have to make sure that Norway is still Norway when all of this is over.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It turns out that he is a right wing Christian Libertarian with Nazi tendencies. He also wore a pseudo Nazi uniform. he was responsible for both the bomb and all the shootings.
Such people are common in many western countries. lets hope this does not start a new trend.