• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist Attack in Oslo, Norway

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Before anything else is said I want to make clear that the placement of this discussion is very much intentional.
This is not a debate forum, nor is it in a forum related to any form of discussion about religion.

This is what has happened:

At least ten people are killed in shooting at a youth camp only hours after a massive bomb blast in central Oslo.

Reports of shooting at Utøya, an island outside of Oslo, came around 18.25 PM Friday night.

Utøya is currently home to a youth camp for almost 700 young members of the Labour Party.

Police now confirms that at least ten people are killed in the shootings at the island. An eyewitness tells VG Nett that more than 20 to 30 people are dead.

According to a witness the gunman was dressed as a police officer. One man has been arrested after the shooting.

The police see a connection between this attack and the bomb that exploded nearby, or inside, a government building in Oslo at 3.30 PM Friday afternoon.

The explosion killed at least seven people and two people are seriously injured, confirms police.

Several buildings around was also affected by the blast. The bomb exploded close to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's office. He was not at his office and has not been injured.

Several blocks around the bomb are still evacuated and people are asked to stay away from the city centre.

Source: Terror attacks in Norway - VG Nett

Some additional information;
It appears that the man responsible for the shooting at Utøya was blond and white, and it seems that he might also have been responsible for placing the bomb in dowtown Oslo. This information, however, as much else, is unconfirmed at this point. In other words, it is much too early to point fingers and I will ask everyone to please refrain from doing so until we know more.

I will try to update this tread over the next couple of days as more information is made avaliable in the Norwegian media and also answer any questions as best I can.

The man responsible for the shooting at Utøya has been arrested by the Norwegian Terror Police (similar to the American SWAT). I expect we will have more information over the next few hours. The police is working from the theory that he was also involved in the bombing in downtown Oslo.

It has been confirmed that the man arrested by the police is a Norwegian citizen. He is an ethnic Norwegian.

Confirmed information has indicated that the man might be an extreme nationalist and an anti-islamist.
The current death toll is 7 dead in the bombing in downtown Oslo and at least 84 dead in the shooting on Utøya.

Update: Scores killed in Norway attacks.
BBC News - Norway police say 84 killed in island youth camp attack

The arrested suspect.
BBC News - Profile: Norway attacks suspect Anders Behring Breivik

Thanks to Koldaramor for providing the links.

This a Facebook group for those who wish to show their support and compassion for the ones suffering in this horrible incident: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=244185822272540

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I never know what to say about horrible things like this. I had a whole post filled up and then I decided not to post it. I never understand why humans hurt, maim, torture, or kill other people. It makes me feel so sad and angry at the same time.

Otherright

Otherright
Before anything else is said I want to make clear that the placement of this discussion is very much intentional.
This is not a debate forum, nor is it in a forum related to any form of discussion about religion.

This is what has happened:

At least ten people are killed in shooting at a youth camp only hours after a massive bomb blast in central Oslo.

Reports of shooting at Utøya, an island outside of Oslo, came around 18.25 PM Friday night.

Utøya is currently home to a youth camp for almost 700 young members of the Labour Party.

Police now confirms that at least ten people are killed in the shootings at the island. An eyewitness tells VG Nett that more than 20 to 30 people are dead.

According to a witness the gunman was dressed as a police officer. One man has been arrested after the shooting.

The police see a connection between this attack and the bomb that exploded nearby, or inside, a government building in Oslo at 3.30 PM Friday afternoon.

The explosion killed at least seven people and two people are seriously injured, confirms police.

Several buildings around was also affected by the blast. The bomb exploded close to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's office. He was not at his office and has not been injured.

Several blocks around the bomb are still evacuated and people are asked to stay away from the city centre.

Source: Terror attacks in Norway - VG Nett

Some additional information;
It appears that the man responsible for the shooting at Utøya was blond and white, and it seems that he might also have been responsible for placing the bomb in dowtown Oslo. This information, however, as much else, is unconfirmed at this point. In other words, it is much too early to point fingers and I will ask everyone to please refrain from doing so until we know more.

I will try to update this tread over the next couple of days as more information is made avaliable in the Norwegian media and also answer any questions as best I can.
Whatever the motivation for the killing of children is (or other people for that matter), be it political or religious, it is sad when people think an idea can not be tolerated or the person adhering to the idea must be destroyed to kill the idea.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I don't quite know how to respond either. I guess I'll have a better idea when we know more about who did this and why. Until today Norway has never had any form of terrorist incidents and several politicians have stated that this is the worst thing to happen here since WWII.

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Whatever the motivation for the killing of children is (or other people for that matter), be it political or religious, it is sad when people think an idea can not be tolerated or the person adhering to the idea must be destroyed to kill the idea.

I fully agree.
There are ideas I'd be willing to die for.

I don't know any that I would be willing to kill innocent people for.
That would, in fact, be directly against why I support those ideas in the first place.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
How sad. So pointless and hateful. :(

Be safe, jarofthoughts.

Thank you.
Even though I live in Oslo I am currently visiting my mother in the northern parts of Norway, and as far as I can gather no-one I know has been hurt although I feel sorry for those who have. :(

waitasec

Veteran Member
very sad and unnerving...
things like this don't happen very often over there, it seems...

glad to know you're alright.

MissAlice

My friend from Norway told me about it. Very tragic and my heart goes out to the people over there. I still don't see anywhere about who or what caused the blast except a guy in a police uniform. :confused:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
My friend from Norway told me about it. Very tragic and my heart goes out to the people over there. I still don't see anywhere about who or what caused the blast except a guy in a police uniform. :confused:

That is because that is not known yet.
I'll keep updating the OP as we get access to more information.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I'm almost always wanting to know more about perpetrator and motivations. From their own lips. If it is in vein of propaganda, then my desire to listen goes way down. But I really dislike when person like this is isolated and downplayed. Yes, we all (all of us) find it senseless, horrific, undesirable, and undeniably irresponsible, yet it seems like we waste golden opportunities by not getting at heart of matter with the person, by instead seeking sense of vengeance.

I am seriously not looking for debate on this thread. If what I write rubs you in some "wrong" way due to sensitivities, please do PM me, as I am unlikely to respond here.

My bottom line desire in all similar situations is to send blessings and support to those involved.

Wishing you (jarofthoughts) and people of Norway, peace and blessings.
:flower2:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I'm almost always wanting to know more about perpetrator and motivations. From their own lips. If it is in vein of propaganda, then my desire to listen goes way down. But I really dislike when person like this is isolated and downplayed. Yes, we all (all of us) find it senseless, horrific, undesirable, and undeniably irresponsible, yet it seems like we waste golden opportunities by not getting at heart of matter with the person, by instead seeking sense of vengeance.

I am seriously not looking for debate on this thread. If what I write rubs you in some "wrong" way due to sensitivities, please do PM me, as I am unlikely to respond here.

My bottom line desire in all similar situations is to send blessings and support to those involved.

Wishing you (jarofthoughts) and people of Norway, peace and blessings.
:flower2:

We have very little information at the time and I am sure we would all like to know more about who did this and why.
I'll keep updating the OP as more information is released, but I wanted to make sure we keep the speculation to a minimum until we have something solid to go on.

Otherright

Otherright
I had no idea you were in Norway. I wasn't paying attention to your location. Isn't it odd how something seemingly so far away effects even our community on here?

My thoughts are with you and it is my sincere hope that all is well for you and yours. I offer my condolences for those whose lives have been ended or shattered by something as petty as extreme thought.
How sad it is that ideology can be valued more than human life. So many of us here, in this community, enjoy debate. The faithful and rational, religious and atheist alike come here daily to discuss our ideas in many diverse ways. Sometimes we poke fun, sometimes we have respectful dialogue about a disagreement, other times it gets heated, but we all realize that they are simply ideas, and I've never heard another on here wish harm on a participant for his ideas.

All of us have dreams and aspirations; that human spark within us that we debate to define. We've all known love and sympathy. We've all known anger and sorrow. Tragic it is indeed that people lost their lives today, they've lost that spark we debate so diversely, over disagreement with ideas.

Rakhel

There was something on the TV about NYPD being dispatched to the local embassies of the Scandinavian countries. I have yet been able to confirm this. Will keep looking, though

Found it
NYPD Deploys Extra Security to Norway's Consulate

The NYPD deployed extra security to Norway's consulate in Manhattan and to the consulates and missions of Denmark, Finland and Sweden as a precaution following two separate attacks in Oslo on Friday.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYPD--126030293.html

Last edited by a moderator:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I had no idea you were in Norway. I wasn't paying attention to your location. Isn't it odd how something seemingly so far away effects even our community on here?

My thoughts are with you and it is my sincere hope that all is well for you and yours. I offer my condolences for those whose lives have been ended or shattered by something as petty as extreme thought.
How sad it is that ideology can be valued more than human life. So many of us here, in this community, enjoy debate. The faithful and rational, religious and atheist alike come here daily to discuss our ideas in many diverse ways. Sometimes we poke fun, sometimes we have respectful dialogue about a disagreement, other times it gets heated, but we all realize that they are simply ideas, and I've never heard another on here wish harm on a participant for his ideas.

All of us have dreams and aspirations; that human spark within us that we debate to define. We've all known love and sympathy. We've all known anger and sorrow. Tragic it is indeed that people lost their lives today, they've lost that spark we debate so diversely, over disagreement with ideas.

Thank you, and I fully agree with everything you said.
As of now we know very little about who was behind this and why.
I'll keep updating the OP as more information is made avaliable.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
There was something on the TV about NYPD being dispatched to the local embassies of the Scandinavian countries. I have yet been able to confirm this. Will keep looking, though

Found it
NYPD Deploys Extra Security to Norway's Consulate

The NYPD deployed extra security to Norway's consulate in Manhattan and to the consulates and missions of Denmark, Finland and Sweden as a precaution following two separate attacks in Oslo on Friday.
NYPD Tightens Security After Norway Terror | NBC New York

I believe this is mainly a precaution.
As of yet no specific threats have been made and the motivation behind these attacks is currently unknown.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
This was pointless and just causes more bigotry and hate.

True.
I must admit I am somewhat relieved that the person they have arrested is an ethnic Norwegian and a Norwegian citizen.
Hopefully we can avoid any undue violence against more innocent people because of faultily and ignorantly placed blame.