• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Me About Your God...

seeking4truth

Holy Quran Chapter 59 Al Hashr

[59:23] He is Allah, and there is no God beside Him, the Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is the Gracious, the Merciful.

[59:24] He is Allah, and there is no God beside Him, the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace, the Bestower of Security, the Protector, the Mighty, the Subduer, the Exalted. Holy is Allah far above that which they associate with Him.

[59:25] He is Allah, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. His are the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Him, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The Root of all being.

Without race, gender, form, caste, or even creed.

Love. Bliss. Unity personified.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What is God to you?
A word. An idea. A belief structure. I find nature to be much more powerful than our historical ideas, beliefs, or vocabulary.

If anything God is the sum of an ecological and cultural niche. The way a group of people interact with their natural environment. It doesn't matter if there is a supernatural essence to it, the idea is powerful enough to make people labor on building pyramids and Ziggurats, or conquering remote regions and laying cities to waste.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know. I can know somewhat about Him based upon reason and revelation, however the God I believe in cannot be "understood" by man. His thoughts are not human thoughts, His ways not human ways. He cannot be contained by the human mind, yet he reigns in our hearts.

If I believed in a god that I could understand then "it" wouldn't be God. How can you describe what you can't see, can't hear, can't feel, can't taste or even envision with your mind?

You have to see without eyes, hear without ears, feel without feeling and taste without tasting. You have to let go of a sense of form or measure because God is formless - on the basis of the fact that this transcendent first cause abides in eternity and is pure spirit.

Without seeing one truly sees, with the eyes of the soul, something so divine that words cannot express it. That is God for me.

Any idea one can picture about God, any thought one has of Him, is not "God", not even close to His inexpressible reality. It tells us more about the state of mind of the individual rather than God.

For the mystic, God becomes a "lived reality" in which he "lives and moves and has his being"; a reality intimate to Him at his heart when he stops trying to "think" about God and simply lives Him.

For me Angelus Silesius explained it best:

"...Who is God? No one can tell.
He is not dark of night nor light of day.
He is not One nor Many,
Nor a Father as some say.
Nor is He wisdom, intellect, or even mercy;
He is not Being -
Nor non-Being,
Neither thing,
Nor no-thing,
Perhaps He is what I and all
Who ever did or will have being
could ever be capable of seeing
before becoming what He is..."

- Angelus Silesius (1624 – 1677), German Catholic mystic

On a theological level, as a Christian I believe that God - the fullness of that inexpressible Deity - revealed Himself through the Israelite prophets and manifested Himself fully in His incarnation as Jesus Christ. I believe that every nation on earth every religion, every person who has ever sought after truth about God has received it from the Holy Spirit. He revealed Himself in Christ as a Trinity of Persons sharing One Divine Essence.

No one has ever seen God. God the Son makes him known in human form. He became man that we might become partakers of divinity. Jesus joined humanity to God and God to humanity in One Person.

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
God is the Ultimate Reality that pervades all things.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
That is a rather difficult question for me to answer as, being a synchretist, i tend to adopt multiple ideas and definitions for god all at once and neither one of them is more "right" to me than any other. Its really just a matter of which get the most focus at the time in question.

Sometimes i focus on the polytheistic perspective, focusing primarily on nordic and celtic deities
Sometimes i focus on panentheism and take a more hindu or buddhist perspective, looking to see god in all things.
Sometimes i focus in on the idea of the divine feminine
Sometimes i focus on the agnostic perspective and say that god is a collection of ideas and we can never truly know what god is.
Animism also makes its way in there at times.

Hey you think this is confusing to you imagine what it must be like for me having to live inside this head of mine:D

ZooGirl02

I believe that there is only one God. I believe that God is a Trinity in which there are three Divine Persons but only one God. I believe that those three Divine Persons are Father, Son, and Holy Spirit who while they are three Divine Persons, they are still only one God.

Anyway, here is the Athanasian Creed which is a Creed about the Most Holy Trinity. I agree with its description of the Most Holy Trinity:

Athanasian Creed said:
Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith. Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the Catholic Faith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity. Neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is all One, the Glory Equal, the Majesty Co-Eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father Uncreate, the Son Uncreate, and the Holy Ghost Uncreate. The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible. The Father Eternal, the Son Eternal, and the Holy Ghost Eternal and yet they are not Three Eternals but One Eternal. As also there are not Three Uncreated, nor Three Incomprehensibles, but One Uncreated, and One Uncomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not Three Gods, but One God. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not Three Lords but One Lord. For, like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by Himself to be God and Lord, so are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion to say, there be Three Gods or Three Lords. The Father is made of none, neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father, and of the Son neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal. So that in all things, as is aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, must thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting Salvation, that he also believe rightly the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess, that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man.

God, of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and Man, of the substance of His mother, born into the world. Perfect God and Perfect Man, of a reasonable Soul and human Flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His Manhood. Who, although He be God and Man, yet He is not two, but One Christ. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into Flesh, but by taking of the Manhood into God. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by Unity of Person. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one Man, so God and Man is one Christ. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into Hell, rose again the third day from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God Almighty, from whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies, and shall give account for their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting, and they that have done evil into everlasting fire. This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved.

Here is a link to the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia's article about the Athanasian Creed:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Athanasian Creed

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
God is existence itself, manifest in uncountable ways.